talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Manchester United Discussion

football forum

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/05/2024 at 11:59, MUFC said:

There were stories that Malacia failed a drugs test.

Also heard a rumour the damage to his knee is that bad its career threatening. 

Thomas Frank being linked with the United job today. I feel like it's just a case of pick and choose a random coach on a random day to manage a random top 6 team for the media. Liverpool, United, Chelsea...whoever else. If not Frank then it's De Zerbi, or Alonso, or whoever lol.

Think Frank would do a great job at United with the backing of the club, his record against the top 6 during our first 2 seasons is pretty incredible and even when we don't win, we've outplayed a lot of them whilst still drawing or losing. No doubt he'd be able to make them tough to beat whilst also implementing a fluid attacking game.

But I don't think switching from ten Haag to Frank is worth it for United, still don't think he's had the chance to fully try to implement a style at United because of how much of a shitshow they've been behind the scenes.

Whoever they employ it needs to be the right coach because there are a lot of contracts ending this Summer and next, and the last thing United want to do is replace those players with more players that don't fit a cohesive style.

• Subscriber
29 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Thomas Frank (or any manager tbh) would simply ruin his career by moving to Man Utd.

Yep, like Graham Potter moving to Chelsea from BHA, that didn't last.

I think United should worry about getting their new Director of Football in his role and letting him have a say in who the manager that he'll be working with on a day to day basis is going to be. I know there's that proceeding with Newcastle regarding compensation holding things up, but no sense in trying to get ahead of themselves when there's plenty of foundational work a Director of Football's going to have to do.

I think just bringing in someone now before Ashworth's had time to properly vet them doesn't really do them any favours. A lot of United's modern day issues are structural and from failure to develop long term plans to go along with the short term planning. I think bringing in someone without Ashworth being properly involved is just continuing that policy - a manager works under and with a Director of Football, so Ashworth not being properly involved in the selection is just putting together a structure without regard for whether or not the 2 men share the same philosophies on short and long term development.

United aren't just disjoint on the pitch, they're disjoint off the pitch. Until you've got the club working on clear long and short term goals simultaneously, with the people behind the scenes as well as the managers and players all pulling in the same direction, I don't see United's struggles really ending any time soon.