talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Manchester United Discussion

football forum

15 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68361025

"It's about time someone built a national stadium in the north of England," said the British billionaire.

Ratcliffe added the potential project could be a "catalyst for regeneration" in south Manchester and would therefore warrant a "conversation" with the government about using taxpayers' money.

In his first broadcast interview, with BBC sports editor Dan Roan, since completing his deal to buy 27.7% of the club, Ratcliffe added: "If it can be achieved, it would clearly be my preference.

It might "warrant a conversation" - but that conversation should be "fuck off, you're a billionaire living in Monaco not paying British taxes - you pay for your own stadium."

Are we sure he's not talking about investment in the area around the new stadium?

Aside from that everyone is overlooking the fact Manchester City and West Ham both sit in stadiums built using tax payers money. 

I suppose it's any stick to beat United with though. Just becoming a bit boring really. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Devil said:

I suppose it's any stick to beat United with though. Just becoming a bit boring really. 

Idk if there's an eyeroll emoji or not, so just pretend my eyes are rolling around in my head at this. But that's very much ignoring that:

1 hour ago, Danny said:

West Ham were very openly criticised for exploiting one of the poorest boroughs in the country to get a stadium on the cheap

But yes, boo hoo United are being shat upon for no good reason - has nothing to do with a billionaire proposing he get a handout from a country he's from that doesn't pay taxes in, in an attempt to be more like American owners that time and time again fuck over their matchgoing fans in the name of chasing cash.

I'm sure as he begs for money, he'll make the argument that if the city doesn't fund the stadium he'll have to make ticket prices skyrocket - it'll get fans more onboard. And then I'm sure he'll do the typical thing people do when they get a stadium built for them with taxpayer funds and increase the prices by a lot anyway. Like I said, he owns the club - but he works for fans of the club, the fans would do well to remind him of that.

I shouldn't care if United fans get fucked over by their owner, I should think it's funny because... I'm a Liverpool fan. Instead, I'm against it because if shit like this can creep into a club like Man Utd, it can creep into any club in England. City and West Ham are also run by some pretty disgraceful people, United fans should be holding their owners to a higher standard than them.

51 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Idk if there's an eyeroll emoji or not, so just pretend my eyes are rolling around in my head at this. But that's very much ignoring that:

But yes, boo hoo United are being shat upon for no good reason - has nothing to do with a billionaire proposing he get a handout from a country he's from that doesn't pay taxes in, in an attempt to be more like American owners that time and time again fuck over their matchgoing fans in the name of chasing cash.

I'm sure as he begs for money, he'll make the argument that if the city doesn't fund the stadium he'll have to make ticket prices skyrocket - it'll get fans more onboard. And then I'm sure he'll do the typical thing people do when they get a stadium built for them with taxpayer funds and increase the prices by a lot anyway. Like I said, he owns the club - but he works for fans of the club, the fans would do well to remind him of that.

I shouldn't care if United fans get fucked over by their owner, I should think it's funny because... I'm a Liverpool fan. Instead, I'm against it because if shit like this can creep into a club like Man Utd, it can creep into any club in England. City and West Ham are also run by some pretty disgraceful people, United fans should be holding their owners to a higher standard than them.

Where has he said its for the stadium?

He talked about regeneration of the area. Manchester United aren't responsible for the roads and areas around the stadium, the council are responsible for these areas. So a conversation should be had about a contribution. 

The club are responsible for the land they own. 

5 hours ago, Devil said:

Where has he said its for the stadium?

He talked about regeneration of the area. Manchester United aren't responsible for the roads and areas around the stadium, the council are responsible for these areas. So a conversation should be had about a contribution. 

The club are responsible for the land they own. 

He's talked about the "project" (the new stadium) being a "catalyst for regeneration" of the area - but the conversation he's talking about having had is taxpayer money building his new stadium, not the rejuvenation of a rundown area. Although tbf, getting taxpayers to bankroll billionaires might be the only way to realistically get the clowns in parliament to give a fuck about putting money back into communities in the north.

3 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

These quotes are actually real.

There’s still no real identity in how the team play other than sit back and try to occasionally make use of the talent going forward.

It must be painful at times watching this United team, knowing they can offer more, and then watching Tottenham for example bring in a manager who has a gameplan and a style that is almost immediately put together on the pitch. Or the improvement Emery has made to Villa, or O’Neill at Wolves. I’m not saying United should want these managers, but where I was on the fence before about whether or not he should go, it’s looking more and more likely he should. There just isn’t any vision in how that team is playing, and tbh, right now, theres a lot of talent in there that warrant more expansive football.

4 hours ago, Danny said:

There’s still no real identity in how the team play other than sit back and try to occasionally make use of the talent going forward.

It must be painful at times watching this United team, knowing they can offer more, and then watching Tottenham for example bring in a manager who has a gameplan and a style that is almost immediately put together on the pitch. Or the improvement Emery has made to Villa, or O’Neill at Wolves. I’m not saying United should want these managers, but where I was on the fence before about whether or not he should go, it’s looking more and more likely he should. There just isn’t any vision in how that team is playing, and tbh, right now, theres a lot of talent in there that warrant more expansive football.

That's the thing, I don't think we can offer more than counter attack football. That was Ole's best method for getting victories.

As for ETH, he is praying 5th gets Champions league, that's the only way in for us now. We ain't getting top 4.

5 minutes ago, Devil said:

That's the thing, I don't think we can offer more than counter attack football. That was Ole's best method for getting victories.

As for ETH, he is praying 5th gets Champions league, that's the only way in for us now. We ain't getting top 4.

I don’t think you can with the current manager, tbh the more I look back on him saying the current team can’t play out like his Ajax team the more I see it as a mistake. Obviously you shouldnt look to replicate them exactly, but I do think its a case of him publicly giving up on the players.

But I look at Spurs and think they’ve managed to play some really good football with the likes of Skipp, Davies, Bissouma who looked terrible last season. With Ten Hah in his second full season at the club, I feel like he should be doing better with how you’re performing on the pitch. Completely get that the club has been run a shambles and you’ve had numerous managers bringing in players not fit for purpose who don’t fit the next managers vision. But again, I just think you should be expecting more in the play style to build for a better long-term future. At the moment it just seems you’re hoping the opposition aren’t clinical and that you can grab a couple goals on the break.

Obviously you know more than me, but I just look at the positivity that other managers have brought to their clubs in this league, with lesser players and lesser fortunes to buy them, and think Ten Hag could take a page out of their books.

2 hours ago, Danny said:

I don’t think you can with the current manager, tbh the more I look back on him saying the current team can’t play out like his Ajax team the more I see it as a mistake. Obviously you shouldnt look to replicate them exactly, but I do think its a case of him publicly giving up on the players.

But I look at Spurs and think they’ve managed to play some really good football with the likes of Skipp, Davies, Bissouma who looked terrible last season. With Ten Hah in his second full season at the club, I feel like he should be doing better with how you’re performing on the pitch. Completely get that the club has been run a shambles and you’ve had numerous managers bringing in players not fit for purpose who don’t fit the next managers vision. But again, I just think you should be expecting more in the play style to build for a better long-term future. At the moment it just seems you’re hoping the opposition aren’t clinical and that you can grab a couple goals on the break.

Obviously you know more than me, but I just look at the positivity that other managers have brought to their clubs in this league, with lesser players and lesser fortunes to buy them, and think Ten Hag could take a page out of their books.

Something  Ratcliffe said that I really liked was the fact they will be looking to play a certain brand of football from top to bottom and whatever manager comes in he will have to play that way. This will also reflect in transfers so that we never end up with a manager having to deal with a group of players not suitable to the system ever again.

We're miles off at the moment, but at least there is now something in place to hopefully bring us back. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Surely not.

This would be hilarious. Radcliffe isn’t one of these “gotta be br’ish” types is he? They’ll end up with Steve Bruce at the helm.

Edited by Rick
  • Haha 2

On 21/03/2024 at 07:10, Rick said:

This would be hilarious. Radcliffe isn’t one of these “gotta be br’ish” types is he? They’ll end up with Steve Bruce at the helm.

He supposed to have intervened and said we're keeping Scott McTominay. New contract and double his wages. 

• 2 weeks later...

According to a sideline report during the Southampton game (incredible really), United's pursuit of Jason Wilcox from Southampton to be the new Technical Director, and a disagreement between the two clubs about whether a release clause in his contract exists, has caused him to resign 😂.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sir Jim Rantcliffe made a 2m offer for Ashworth which is way below our compromise acceptance. 

It's not confirmed but we were prepared to take 6m upfront with two smaller installments totalling 10m.

Rantcliffe moaning about gardening leave, maybe if he and his buddy Dan had the etiquette to ask NUFC to discuss it may have been more civil. Man united turned it into a circus

It's interesting watching the developments at United, the pursuit of a lot of the people behind the scenes who are yet to start, or have only recently started at the club. It wouldn't surprise me if they keep Ten Haag on in the Summer with minimal outlay just so the new structure can actually spend a serious amount of time together analyzing the direction the club needs to take.