talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus & The Premier League

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think English football needs to look after the English Football Pyramid and that will mean a redistribution of wealth, salary caps at certain levels, part time contracts leagues below The Championship and an abolishment of the transfer window for a significant period. If a global crisis isnt going to bring the top division closer to the leagues underneath then we may as well give the top six a far greater share of the revenue generated as they bring far more revenue than all the other shit in the league.

How far that redistribution of wealth goes down the pyramid, for how long and how much money is provided are all going to be issues of contention. My first thought is an agreed percentage of average gate receipts over a 12 month period is on face value the fairest method, albeit promoted clubs will argue that it's not fair on them. 

Troy Deany appears to being put under pressure to play. I know the risk is low but it's wrong in my opinion.

This might be an overly ignorant comment, but surely if the players don't want to play they just shouldn't show up? That would more than likely result in sacking from the club, but at least in the Premier League I'd always imagined that they have more than enough money to survive without working for a while. If Deeney doesn't think it's worth the risk, I can't imagine him not having money to survive for some time without pay.

Of course, in some countries where football is starting up that doesn't apply. I don't know about lower Bundesliga clubs, but with all the TV money involved in the PL I would have guessed they would have enough at least for 2020 anyways.

• Administrator
26 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

This might be an overly ignorant comment, but surely if the players don't want to play they just shouldn't show up? That would more than likely result in sacking from the club, but at least in the Premier League I'd always imagined that they have more than enough money to survive without working for a while. If Deeney doesn't think it's worth the risk, I can't imagine him not having money to survive for some time without pay.

Of course, in some countries where football is starting up that doesn't apply. I don't know about lower Bundesliga clubs, but with all the TV money involved in the PL I would have guessed they would have enough at least for 2020 anyways.

Not in current circumstances. I think any player not wanting to play because they're uncomfortable with the potential risk, can validly do so. 

PL clubs do have obscene amounts of money but several clubs, even the biggest, will be facing some losses (or less profits) because of the lack of fans attending. Clubs make a huge amount in gate receipts and matchday earnings. 

7 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

This is probably a luxury that most of us don't have and that's having an option in the first place. It's the nature of what they do that they can avoid playing for their clubs for long periods of time through injury etc and still take home a really good salary unlike a lot of other people who may have only a couple of weeks sick pay available for being off before they have to start claiming SSP which is a pittance.. and that's because players are seen as an investment to be looked after where the rest of us are seen as liabilities to our companies if we have any lengthy periods of sickness... In most lines of work outside of football you have no choice but to return to work if requested to do so in order to pay the weekly bills, Footballers ( or at least the sensible ones ) will probably have very healthy bank accounts to tide them over for the foreseeable future... 

In the case of the Virus it has to be an individual choice weighing up the risk to themselves ( Kante ) and any family ( Deeney ) for example and while they are getting paid it's not such an issue providing the clubs are willing to allow that to happen which they seem to be doing right now... Long term however I am not sure what the stance will be for both club and player? As long as this is around no matter how many precautions and tests are taken there may always be a chance they may get it and that may come from outside of their job by means of who they keep in contact with or the lifestyle they engage in.. 

With the delay to this season and no doubt not wanting to waste any more time holding things up they will be going from one end of it to almost starting the new one straight away and with no cure in sight at the moment makes you wonder at what point, if any, they will return to the game... Even if the clubs took a hard line stance on it or they decide to hang up their boots would not remove the risk of getting it all the time it's with us.. 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Not in current circumstances. I think any player not wanting to play because they're uncomfortable with the potential risk, can validly do so. 

PL clubs do have obscene amounts of money but several clubs, even the biggest, will be facing some losses (or less profits) because of the lack of fans attending. Clubs make a huge amount in gate receipts and matchday earnings. 

I can’t imagine any club not having big losses after this tbh.

2 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

Where are you getting that from?? 

I get the impression he is getting pressure from the club. When they interview players it seems like they may be putting pressure on him

39 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I get the impression he is getting pressure from the club. When they interview players it seems like they may be putting pressure on him

Yeah interviews like this https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/18478107.heurelho-gomes-tells-troy-deeney-watford-cannot-afford-without/

I mean, realistically I can’t see Watford staying up without Deeney. But I don’t think relegation matters as much to Deeney as his son’s health

• Administrator
Just now, Smiley Culture said:

Contact in training but more positive tests? That’ll work. 

It's .39% of people who have been found to be positive in this latest round. A very, very minimal figure.

It's not specifically players either, could be staff that have had no contact or may not have any contact anyway.

You'd rather catch it now as opposed to let it go on and let them infect more people...

Just now, Stan said:

It's .39% of people who have been found to be positive in this latest round. A very, very minimal figure.

It's not specifically players either, could be staff that have had no contact or may not have any contact anyway.

You'd rather catch it now as opposed to let it go on and let them infect more people...

Ahh well, fuck some staff off then. They’re not important. 

You’d rather not catch it all. 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Ahh well, fuck some staff off then. They’re not important. 

You’d rather not catch it all. 

Yes that is exactly the point I was making.

FFS. Where did I say staff weren't important?

As for the bit in bold, well duh. I meant get the positive tests noticed now as opposed to later down the line when more people might have been infected. At least those 4 can isolate now, be it staff or players.

Didn't think it was that difficult to understand.

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Yes that is exactly the point I was making.

FFS. Where did I say staff weren't important?

As for the bit in bold, well duh. I meant get the positive tests noticed now as opposed to later down the line when more people might have been infected. At least those 4 can isolate now, be it staff or players.

Didn't think it was that difficult to understand.

Saying “well, it’s not just players” seems as though you’re trivialising the lives of staff of football clubs. 

Exactly. People don’t want to catch it. And shouldn’t be put into situations such as this, IMO. 

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Saying “well, it’s not just players” seems as though you’re trivialising the lives of staff of football clubs. 

Exactly. People don’t want to catch it. And shouldn’t be put into situations such as this, IMO. 

I didn't say 'well, it's not just players' though did I? 

56 minutes ago, Stan said:

4 more test positive from latest round of testing 

Is that the same people being tested for a second time? So they've caught it since the first test or were so early days the first time it didn't show up in testing?

I don’t understand the argument here. Would you rather players and staff aren’t tested? Are you just against all football coming back - that’s a more reasonable approach argument. But if football’s coming back, we will have to have these rounds of testing along with frequent testing as the season goes on.

The only way it can continue is with constant testing and isolation. And it’s better to get the positive tests now.

Having said that, it’s hard to argue that contact training should resume just yet. You’d hope for a round of no positives before that.

Archived