talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus & The Premier League

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah interviews like this https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/18478107.heurelho-gomes-tells-troy-deeney-watford-cannot-afford-without/

I mean, realistically I can’t see Watford staying up without Deeney. But I don’t think relegation matters as much to Deeney as his son’s health

Watched him say it on sky yeah. I expect he's getting pressure from his teammates. I know he's a twat at times but he has been a key player for Watford. If they don't like his decision he could just leave. He's easily premier League level he would get a new club

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

You said it’s not specifically players so you basically did. 

Well, it isn't, is it? It's players and staff. So I don't get how you thought I said staff weren't important?

I'm not sure how you've twisted it to say I think staff don't matter xD.

My words:

It's not specifically players either, could be staff that have had no contact or may not have any contact anyway.

I even said it could be staff as well xD 

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

Well, it isn't, is it? It's players and staff. So I don't get how you thought I said staff weren't important?

I'm not sure how you've twisted it to say I think staff don't matter xD.

My words:

I even said it could be staff as well xD 

As I said, it appeared you were trivialising the lives of staff as if they were less important than footballers. 

23 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

As I said, it appeared you were trivialising the lives of staff as if they were less important than footballers. 

Only to you. I read it how he intended, weird to twist it.

The question needs to be asked... why are all these Premier League footballers still catching Covid? 

There is absolutely no reason why they should be out and about putting themselves at risk..

I've worked through the whole thing, 2 of my daughters are care workers... nothing. I earn a year what all of these privileged footballers earn a day and I can afford to go nowhere except work. I pay a small fee for our food and cleaning products to be delivered to our house. So why are they still catching the virus?

Not being careful enough would be my answer!  

Theres a reason certain players are too scared to resume training/play games... because they dont trust the people they work with. 

• Administrator
On 20/05/2020 at 17:27, Storts said:

He hasn't played since 2004 to be fair 

2 minutes ago, Storts said:

Agreed but you, Harvey and Dan is a trio of premium likes

Don't wanna burst your bubble but it doesn't make that much sense :ph34r:

1 hour ago, LFCMadLad said:

The question needs to be asked... why are all these Premier League footballers still catching Covid? 

There is absolutely no reason why they should be out and about putting themselves at risk..

Tbh there could be shitloads of reasons why footballers are still catching Covid, even if they've tried to take appropriate precautions. First, as we've had pointed out by @Stan and @Smiley Culture - it's not just the footballers here who are being tested. Different members of staff are in different socioeconomic standings, right? It's not beyond all possibility that someone essential to a football club functioning (like don't all clubs have cooks?) is just an ordinary guy with a (fairly) ordinary salary who maybe can't afford to have everything delivered to them. Anytime I go to a supermarket to get the shite I need to get, I feel like I'm putting myself at risk. That could easily happen with some club staff member imo.

Also just because there's no-contact delivery available to loads of people, doesn't mean your delivery driver doesn't have COVID.

They've been back on non-contact training, but I don't think having actual no contact means that people can't theoretically come in contact with surfaces the virus is on. Everything's meant to be as sanitary as possible, but shite happens.

But honestly, at the end of the day, some of these players are thick as pigshit and the reason they've probably caught Covid is because they haven't been washing their hands after they've gone out to Kyle Walker's sex parties.

So it looks like Sky and BT are after a proportion of their money back from Premier League clubs despite the season looking likely to finish. Just me or are they in the wrong here? Their argument is that the product has been devalued. Surely their viewing figures are only going to go up once things start up again though?

9 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

So it looks like Sky and BT are after a proportion of their money back from Premier League clubs despite the season looking likely to finish. Just me or are they in the wrong here? Their argument is that the product has been devalued. Surely their viewing figures are only going to go up once things start up again though?

Are they showing the games? Yes. Did they pay for the games? Yes. Doesn’t matter what they paid. That’s like me going to the petrol station and asking for some compensation as I filled up at £1.25 and the price of oil fell in the time it takes me to fill up again. They bought it at the price they bought it, which has absolutely nothing to do with a pandemic. They’d have a case if the matches weren’t played.

• Administrator
9 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

I've worked through the whole thing, 2 of my daughters are care workers... nothing. I earn a year what all of these privileged footballers earn a day and I can afford to go nowhere except work. I pay a small fee for our food and cleaning products to be delivered to our house. So why are they still catching the virus?

Not being careful enough would be my answer!  

Theres a reason certain players are too scared to resume training/play games... because they dont trust the people they work with. 

Footballers do still go out to shops themselves you know? 

Just because you and your 2 daughters have not got COVID (well done, count yourself lucky!) doesn't mean no one else should catch it. Or maybe you've had it and you were asymptomatic. How do you know? Maybe you've had very mild symptoms even but not even noticed? Not everyone who gets COVID will end up in ICU. 

Very basic level of thinking you have there when you say how do footballers catch it but you don't? By that logic every single front line NHS worker or care worker should have it, but they don't do they? 

Also, I know footballers can be utter idiots sometimes but let's be honest, it's the minority, right? Not all of them are dumb as fuck and breaking the rules like Kyle Walker did. 

52 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

It’s a joke tbh. They paid to broadcast the rights, they didn’t pay to guarantee the “value” of the league would remain the same during a global pandemic

8 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Tbh there could be shitloads of reasons why footballers are still catching Covid, even if they've tried to take appropriate precautions. First, as we've had pointed out by @Stan and @Smiley Culture - it's not just the footballers here who are being tested. Different members of staff are in different socioeconomic standings, right? It's not beyond all possibility that someone essential to a football club functioning (like don't all clubs have cooks?) is just an ordinary guy with a (fairly) ordinary salary who maybe can't afford to have everything delivered to them. Anytime I go to a supermarket to get the shite I need to get, I feel like I'm putting myself at risk. That could easily happen with some club staff member imo.

Also just because there's no-contact delivery available to loads of people, doesn't mean your delivery driver doesn't have COVID.

I was thinking about the notion that you'll get it in the supermarket yesterday in Aldi where several weeks in the staff still have no PPE. 

I've seen nothing about these staff getting coronavirus in the news. They've been frontline exposed during the peak but sick staff was never the news. Even a search brings little up. You'd expect it to be front page that triggers higher safety standards. A big scoop for any media outlet.

What I see a lot of in the last 3-4 weeks is how you're not going to get the virus off your amazon package, you're not going to get it outside, essentially you need to share a confined space with someone infected for a good period of time. The chance of getting it any other way is extremely low. 

2 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

Are they showing the games? Yes. Did they pay for the games? Yes. Doesn’t matter what they paid. That’s like me going to the petrol station and asking for some compensation as I filled up at £1.25 and the price of oil fell in the time it takes me to fill up again. They bought it at the price they bought it, which has absolutely nothing to do with a pandemic. They’d have a case if the matches weren’t played.

But what if you were paying for Grade 98 petrol but only got Grade 95?? The quality is obviously inferior yet you are paying for high quality.. Supposing that lower grade was only being used during a pandemic because the higher grade was not available but the cost to get it remained the same as high grade.. Would you have grounds to ask for your money back then??? 

6 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

But what if you were paying for Grade 98 petrol but only got Grade 95?? The quality is obviously inferior yet you are paying for high quality.. Supposing that lower grade was only being used during a pandemic because the higher grade was not available but the cost to get it remained the same as high grade.. Would you have grounds to ask for your money back then??? 

Then there would have been an issue in the first place, as I was given the wrong product. Football on TV is football on TV. No more, no less.

6 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Then there would have been an issue in the first place, as I was given the wrong product. Football on TV is football on TV. No more, no less.

Not quite... You were given the same product ( petrol ) only it's a slightly inferior grade than what you are used too... both products make your car run so it's the right product not delivering the performance you might have expected... 

16 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Not quite... You were given the same product ( petrol ) only it's a slightly inferior grade than what you are used too... both products make your car run so it's the right product not delivering the performance you might have expected... 

Well it’s not though is it? The different Ron numbers imply it’s a different product. If I wanted my car to run better, I’d go to Shell and pay more for the different petrol. Oranges and Apples are fruit, but they don’t cost the same,  nor taste the same. Premier League football is Premier League football. They’ll be able to televise the exact same fixtures as was promised. No difference.

2 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Well it’s not though is it? The different Ron numbers imply it’s a different product. If I wanted my car to run better, I’d go to Shell and pay more for the different petrol. Oranges and Apples are fruit, but they don’t cost the same,  nor taste the same. Premier League football is Premier League football. They’ll be able to televise the exact same fixtures as was promised. No difference.

I reckon I could keep you nibbling till the afternoon but I am busy and have some stuff to do.... as always mate, a pleasure B|

• Administrator

Watford captain Troy Deeney says people told him they wished his baby son would contract coronavirus after he chose not to return to training.

Deeney did not want to put his child, who has had breathing difficulties, "in more danger" and raised concerns over the increased risk to black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) players.

He is due to resume training next week.

"I saw some comments in regards to my son, people saying: 'I hope your son gets corona'," Deeney, 31, said.

He told CNN Sport: "That's the hard part for me. If you respond to that, people then go: 'Ah, we've got him' and they keep doing it.

"In a time where it's all about mental health and everyone says 'speak up, speak out, please speak', Danny Rose spoke out and I spoke out and we just get absolutely hammered and battered for it.

"So people see that and go 'woah' and it's not just us that gets it, the missus gets direct messages and you'll be walking down the street and people will be like: 'Oh, I'm at work, you go back to work'."

On Wednesday, Premier League clubs unanimously voted to resume contact training but Watford are not expected to resume group training until next week.

Deeney has spoken with England's deputy chief medical officer, Professor Jonathan Van-Tam, and is expected to return to club training next week.

"He's been doing very, very good research and there is a lot of goodwill on his part to tell me, ultimately, that I'm going to be looked after as best as they can and, ultimately, there is going to be some form of risk for all of us going back to work," Deeney said.

"Lockdown and the social distancing measures coming down mean people will still always have risk."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52831522

Imagine being so much of a lowlife kind of scum that you wish someone's son gets the virus. Even if it's not serious, it's not even funny or 'banter'. 

Archived