talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus and Football

football forum

Very bored now without football. Initially it didn’t feel like it, I suppose my brain treated the barren period as a normal off-season but by this point in an off-season without football, you know fixtures for the coming season and pre-season friendlies and can start planning things. I think that, the actual planning of what I’m going to, when and what places I will go to en route to the ground, is a big part in what I’m missing. 

Probably going to spend the evening looking at what grounds of the 92 I’ve been to, how many grounds overall I’ve been too and where I fancy going next, whenever football resumes with fans allowed in. 

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not missing the usual deluge of gossip, pundits or Twitter shite; but I am really starting to miss getting out and about. Looking at what I'd planned I was meant to be down in Somerset tpday and in London tomorrow doing matches, instead I've not left the house all day.

Like @Smiley Culture I've been going through my plans for the future, getting together where I want to go, any double headers / weekends and what have you, but given we are unlikely to have matches with spectators for months if not a year yet then it makes me a bit depressed more than anything. 

From a selfish point of view, I don't watch matches on TV unless I follow one of the teams, so behind closed doors does nothing for me. Amuses me more than anything that we have the big clubs and leagues running around setting deadlines like the majority of people fucking care if their bubble bursts.

32 minutes ago, tlr said:

Not missing the usual deluge of gossip, pundits or Twitter shite; but I am really starting to miss getting out and about. Looking at what I'd planned I was meant to be down in Somerset tpday and in London tomorrow doing matches, instead I've not left the house all day.

Like @Smiley Culture I've been going through my plans for the future, getting together where I want to go, any double headers / weekends and what have you, but given we are unlikely to have matches with spectators for months if not a year yet then it makes me a bit depressed more than anything. 

From a selfish point of view, I don't watch matches on TV unless I follow one of the teams, so behind closed doors does nothing for me. Amuses me more than anything that we have the big clubs and leagues running around setting deadlines like the majority of people fucking care if their bubble bursts.

Definitely think it’s worse looking back at where I could have been on a given Saturday. 

Chelsea could become the first Premier League squad to take a voluntary pay cut after the players reportedly collectively agreed to the reduction in a group WhatsApp chat with skipper Cesar Azpilicueta. Despite extensive talks between clubs and players, so far no squad has yet agreed to a pay cut to ease financial difficulties during the coronavirus crisis – though Southampton did commit to a wage deferral. Arsenal’s squad are believed to be close to an agreement over a 12.5% reduction, with Mikel Arteta intervening to convince the players.

Now The Sun report that Chelsea may be further down the line in announcing their pay cuts after the squad unanimously agreed to take a £10million hit over the next four months. The reduction represents a 10% pay cut and will kick in from next month, with the players agreeing for it to remain in place until the start of the new season which is hoped to kick off in September. Talks between the players were held over WhatsApp, with captain Cesar Azpilicueta speaking to the club’s hierarchy on behalf of the players.

The 30-year-old full-back OK’d the deal via a group text sent to all the players, with the squad all responding that they were happy with the terms. Frank Lampard will have played a part in talks too, with the Chelsea manager volunteering to have his own salary slashed at a higher percentage than the players.

The former England midfielder will forgo 25% of his salary – around £1.25m of his £5m-a-year pay packet – as the club look to wrestle with their mammoth £285m annual wage bill. The Sun also report that the Chelsea squad have not demanded payback clauses and are willing to swallow the pay cut in its entirety, unlike Arsenal’s players who only agreed to their own 12.5% reduction after being offered Champions League qualification incentives. If the Gunners qualify for next season’s Champions League or the 2021-22 competition they will receive a £100,000 bonus each, as well as £500,000 if they win the 2021 competition.

Antonio Rudiger has agreed to cover three months of costs for catering for the nurses in the Berlin Charité hospital in Berlin where he was born in 1993.

The Germany international has chosen to make a substantial donation to support his home country amid the coronavirus outbreak, which is impacting most countries worldwide. Germany is one of the worst affected countries in Europe having had 147,103 cases and 4,856 deaths but they are beginning to ease off their lockdown restrictions as they flatten the curve on new cases.

The 27-year-old has shown his social responsibility previously in the past in the fight against racism. Now he is hoping to make a difference with his £100,000-a-week salary.

It is on top of donations made by Rudiger and all other Premier League players to the #PlayersTogether charity, after Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson got an agreement with Blues skipper Cesar Azpilicueta to involve Chelsea's players in the scheme to help support NHS frontline workers.

"My biggest wish right now is that today's new infection numbers are again lower than yesterday's. But not that the Premier League immediately resumes," Rudiger told kicker in March. "Football has no priority right now. It's only about slowing down the spread of the virus."

:congrats:

• Administrator

Aurier and Sissoko of Spurs have been training together, meaning it's the 3rd time Spurs players have been caught flouting the social distancing rules. At what point should they be given further punishment?!

• Administrator

Yep no football til Sept 1st at earliest for Dutch clubs. Ajax likely to be given the title. Wonder if that paves the way for other countries/leagues to follow... 

• Administrator

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52387971

The Premier League is considering making some behind-closed-doors fixtures available free-to-air when the season restarts, the culture secretary has said.

Oliver Dowden has said he had been having "productive talks" with governing bodies from across British sport on restarting following the coronavirus shutdown.

He said the resumption hinged on passing the government's five tests as well as meeting social distancing guidelines.

Dowden said it was also important to send out a message that was "consistent" with that being given to the public.

Football is suspended indefinitely across most of Europe because of the continued spread of Covid-19.

Discussing how sports would be broadcast if held behind closed doors, as is expected to be the case initially, he told the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport committee: "I have said to the Premier League it wouldn't send the best signal if they were one of the first major sports to resume behind closed doors and the public at large couldn't have access to it."

He acknowledged that sports were "reliant on the revenue they derive" from broadcasting deals.

But he said that there were ways sport could have "elements of protecting revenue from broadcasting but also looking at ways of increasing access".

The Premier League was "considering" the issue, he said.

On 23/04/2020 at 14:09, Cicero said:

UEFA and PL clubs discussing the possibility of ending the season. Point per game awarded. 

I just don't see how you can fairly relegate two from West Ham, Brighton, Bournemouth, Watford and Villa. Fairest option is to probably send them all down :ph34r:

• Administrator

Very positive news coming from Italy...

4 May - individual training is allowed to take place

18 May - group/team training can resume

Given what they've been through this is a huge step and very promising for Italian football returning.

8 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Whats wrong with getting your car washed or training in public? You're allowed to exercise outside right?

I'm pretty sure those players training in public were training with other team mates and not at 2m apart

Archived