talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Man City 1-3 Lyon - Saturday 15th August, 2020 (Quarter-Final)

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I hope City and PSG never win the CL

I could go for a decade without repeat winners as well. No Real Madrid, Juventus, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Liverpool, AC Milan, the typical clubs.

Lyon is one of the strangest teams in Europe. 

They are good enough to put at least some kind of challenge to PSG at Ligue 1, but they always drop lots of points against smaller teams in their domestic league. 

In Europe though, they always turn up against the best teams in the world.

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, God is Haaland said:

Nerves

Not at all. 

How can it be nerves? 

It's just a lapse in concentration and just a very bad thing done by a very good footballer. He almost tried too hard to score. Probably thought of the celebration before he actually finished it. 

45 minutes ago, Spike said:

I could go for a decade without repeat winners as well. No Real Madrid, Juventus, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Liverpool, AC Milan, the typical clubs.

Nah I’m fine with big clubs winning it. Not oil clubs or fizzy shite drink clubs.

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Nah I’m fine with big clubs winning it. Not oil clubs or fizzy shite drink clubs.

No fuck the ol' boys club that Europeans like sucking the dicks of. You lot treat football like ol' private school kids keeping it in the family

6 minutes ago, Spike said:

No fuck the ol' boys club that Europeans like sucking the dicks of. You lot treat football like ol' private school kids keeping it in the family

Nah I’d rather have clubs like Leicester or Napoli and Atalanta get into Europe and do well than clubs like Chelsea, PSG, the Red Bulls, and City. If how the European royalty treat football is wrong, there’s no way the way the oil clubs treat football is any better.

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Nah I’d rather have clubs like Leicester or Napoli and Atalanta get into Europe and do well than clubs like Chelsea, PSG, the Red Bulls, and City. If how the European royalty treat football is wrong, there’s no way the way the oil clubs treat football is any better.

Of course oil isn't better but it makes old fools used to seeing AC Milan and Liverpool win uncomfortable so I enjoy it. 'Muh big clubs' is stupid and people should feel stupid for wanting teams to steamroll on their own success because they started winning at the right time in the 90s leading to a headstart financially.

58 minutes ago, Spike said:

The most realistic way that could happen would be due to City and PSG winning all of them.

10 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Big clubs are as much the problem as oil/fizzy clubs, happy to isolate smaller teams from success and the finances that come with that to dope their future teams.

Easier pill to swallow seeing a historically big side winning it but oil clubs are just a very noticeable symptom of a problem that has been created initially by clubs like United, Real, Barce etc 

1 minute ago, Harry said:

The most realistic way that could happen would be due to City and PSG winning all of them.

Good, at least they are openly shameless instead of hiding behind past prestige to justify their monopolies.

Unbelievable result. Can only really conclude Pep just isn't built for the Champions league.

His style of football, and the players he signs is too vulnerable to counter attacks in do or die games.

5 minutes ago, Spike said:

Good, at least they are openly shameless instead of hiding behind past prestige to justify their monopolies.

Honestly I think that's a reasonable comment.

Bigger clubs that rode the wave of globalisation and tv revenues to a now unassailable financial position are not that different to clubs that have a rich owner step in who just wants to win something.  Unfortunately I don't see it changing though but I'm not opposed to City or PSG or Leipzig winning this competition. More diversity, even if it's through oil clubs, isn't a terrible thing if the bigger problem isn't solved

Just now, Harry said:

Honestly I think that's a reasonable comment.

Bigger clubs that ride the wave of globalisation and tv revenues to a note unassailable financial position are not that different to clubs that have a rich owner step in who just wants to win something.  Unfortunately I don't see it changing though but I'm not opposed to City or PSG or Leipzig winning this competition.

I see three types of millionaires, lotto winners (Chelsea), inheritors (Manchester United), and self-made (doesn't really exist on a larger scale, maybe someone like Wimbledon FC).

3 minutes ago, Spike said:

I don’t think any of the big clubs hide the fact they’ve got that past prestige tbh. It’s how they appeal to the glory hunters that make them millions tbh.

Same way the two richer oil clubs use football to sports wash... although they are ashamed of that but deny they’re doing anything wrong.

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

Unbelievable result. Can only really conclude Pep just isn't built for the Champions league.

His style of football, and the players he signs is too vulnerable to counter attacks in do or die games.

I think it not being a two legged tie doesn’t really suit them. And I think there’s a bit of a mentality issue with Citeh in Europe, because I do think a lot of nerves kick in for them as it’s the one thing they’ve not won that they’re really desperate for. That Sterling miss, for instance, just strikes me as a guy who let nerves creep in because of how desperate he was to not fuck it up.

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don’t think any of the big clubs hide the fact they’ve got that past prestige tbh. It’s how they appeal to the glory hunters that make them millions tbh.

Same way the two richer oil clubs use football to sports wash... although they are ashamed of that but deny they’re doing anything wrong.

I think it not being a two legged tie doesn’t really suit them. And I think there’s a bit of a mentality issue with Citeh in Europe, because I do think a lot of nerves kick in for them as it’s the one thing they’ve not won that they’re really desperate for. That Sterling miss, for instance, just strikes me as a guy who let nerves creep in because of how desperate he was to not fuck it up.

I think you missed my point, clubs like Barcelona, Bayern, Man United, Liverpool, never say they are 'buying trophies' and vehemently deny because they have past prestige. They hid behind the shame of spending millions and millions by moral grandstanding that their spending is justified because they won a bunch of trophies with locals in the 70s.

Just now, Spike said:

I think you missed my point, clubs like Barcelona, Bayern, Man United, Liverpool, never say they are 'buying trophies' and vehemently deny because they have past prestige. They hid behind the shame of spending millions and millions by moral grandstanding that their spending is justified because they won a bunch of trophies with locals in the 70s.

Even back then, it’s the teams competing at the top that broke transfer records. 

So again, I don’t think it’s something that’s ever been hidden.

I can appreciate wanting to be a contrarian just because you like seeing other people not like those clubs though.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Even back then, it’s the teams competing at the top that broke transfer records. 

So again, I don’t think it’s something that’s ever been hidden.

I can appreciate wanting to be a contrarian just because you like seeing other people not like those clubs though.

So you are saying that winning clubs always buy titles? That without investment winning isn't usually achievable? 

I'm not being contrarian at all, I think most people are largely hypocritical when it comes to spening and football.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived