talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Matchday Chat - 2016/17 season archive

• Administrator

Middlesbrough are embarrassingly poor. 20 goals in 28 games. Rubbish. 

Swansea aren't doing much better. Llorente is injured but they're playing the same way they would as if he was playing. So many  crosses in to the box which Jordan Ayew, playing as a striker, is never gonna get on the end of. 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After rewatching the highlights, it truly shows how our system really values our Wing Backs. Pedro made a silly error that defensive player never make which led to the first Palace goal. Won't let that haunt him though as Pedro has been brilliant for us

• Subscriber
20 hours ago, Aaroncpfc said:

With those fixtures I wouldn't put it past Leicester to finish in the top half with the squad they have if they don't field weakened sides for The Champions League. Watford are not really all that, Bournemouth's momentum will not last, it's just Southampton as the threat really.

I think the exact same. We could actually go 9th on Tuesday and while it requires 5 results, not one of them isn't impossible.

I think we're safe barring a total disaster if we win on Tuesday. I reckon 36 points probably keeps you up. Like I said we could actually hit 9th in the table with 36. It's going to be a lower points tally that keeps you up than usual.

I didn't realise how Burnley had dropped a bit. Was surprised we were above them. West Ham too look in freefall. My West Ham supporting mate had a fiver on them to drop a couple of weeks ago at 40/1.

I can't see Burnley or West Ham dropping.

Looks very much like being Sunderland, Middlesbrough and one of Hull & Swansea. It's anyone's guess which one of those two it'll be though.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Romesh said:

We've not won many this season but yesterday was probably our easiest. Stoke offer nothing and Berahino is wasted in that team. We have Huth and Benalouane at the back who are very physical so bringing on Crouch when Stoke went to play route one football played in to our hands so we could see out the game with ease. 

The goals we scored were ridiculously good. Ndidi is just brilliant. Not only with the goal he scored but the way he broke up anything Stoke were doing in the middle of the park. And as soon as Crouch came on, Shakespeare told him to be in any aerial battles with him and he carried out that duty superbly too. The goal was phenomenal though. From where I am in the stands, it looked more central but seeing the replays after the game made the strike even better as it was an angle. So much power and accuracy to give the keeper no chance from there. And Vardy's goal was well taken, too. Getting a goal that quickly after half-time killed any chance Stoke had in the game. At 2-0 just after HT we remained professional and calm and just controlled the game. Hughes said after the game that when we score first it plays in to our hands so we can sit back and hit on the counter which works well for our players.

Gonna mention Okazaki too because although he doesn't score many at all, he does so much hard work to free up Vardy and remains the link between the central midfield and his strike partner. Runs himself in to the ground every single game and there aren't many forward players in the game any more that are like him. Not that I can think of off the top of my head anyway. Love that man to bits because it's 100% every single game.

As much as we controlled the game and won easily, I was a bit disappointed with Drinkwater and to a lesser extent, Mahrez. Drinkwater lost possession few too many times for me and Mahrez, for all his efforts, never really got going today. He had one chance just outside the box which Grant saved well, but was a bit wasteful in other attacking opportunities.

3 points off the top half now. A position I did not envisage us in if Ranieri was still here. Shakespeare has been brilliant and is now the first English manager to win his first 4 league games in this division. Proud for him and the turnaround in fortunes he has helped us with. 

We've not dropped a single point from a winning position all season either. In-fact we haven't since West Ham at home nearly a year ago.

Agree about Drinkwater & Mahrez. Thought the former was poor. Mahrez was involved but a lot of what he did didn't come off.

I struggled picking a MOTM. I thought all of the back four played very well, Fuchs in-particular so I'll go with him.

• Subscriber
34 minutes ago, Toony said:

I can't see Burnley or West Ham dropping.

Looks very much like being Sunderland, Middlesbrough and one of Hull & Swansea. It's anyone's guess which one of those two it'll be though.

Hull just keep winning at home and Swansea I think will have just about enough. If Sunderland don't drop this year they never will. Middlesbrough I think are doomed if they don't win their next two. Be very surprise if us or Palace drop. Burnley aren't out of this yet.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Dan said:

We've not dropped a single point from a winning position all season either. In-fact we haven't since West Ham at home nearly a year ago.

Agree about Drinkwater & Mahrez. Thought the former was poor. Mahrez was involved but a lot of what he did didn't come off.

I struggled picking a MOTM. I thought all of the back four played very well, Fuchs in-particular so I'll go with him.

Yep, shows just how important it is that we control games from the outset and take advantage when it counts. I think it was only a matter of time before we scored first because Stoke never looked like they were fully committed to trying to win yesterday.

For reasons above, Ndidi was my man of the match. Thought Benalouane had a very good, no-nonsense game as well. Settled in well with Huth and the challenges that were put up against him.

Just now, Dan said:

Hull just keep winning at home and Swansea I think will have just about enough. If Sunderland don't drop this year they never will. Middlesbrough I think are doomed if they don't win their next two. Be very surprise if us or Palace drop. Burnley aren't out of this yet.

not sure if it's been mentioned here but I saw on Twitter yesterday that Hull's manager hasn't lost a home game in something silly like 3 years?! That's a phenomenal record. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Romesh said:

Yep, shows just how important it is that we control games from the outset and take advantage when it counts. I think it was only a matter of time before we scored first because Stoke never looked like they were fully committed to trying to win yesterday.

For reasons above, Ndidi was my man of the match. Thought Benalouane had a very good, no-nonsense game as well. Settled in well with Huth and the challenges that were put up against him.

not sure if it's been mentioned here but I saw on Twitter yesterday that Hull's manager hasn't lost a home game in something silly like 3 years?! That's a phenomenal record. 

I was confident yesterday. I think other than maybe Spurs we won't drop another point at home.

Ndidi really does look a brilliant buy. In a season where our transfer business has been largely an embarrassment he's looked the part.

• Administrator
Just now, Dan said:

I was confident yesterday. I think other than maybe Spurs we won't drop another point at home.

Ndidi really does look a brilliant buy. In a season where our transfer business has been largely an embarrassment he's looked the part.

wonder if it was Ranieri, Macia or Rudkin who spotted him and got the deal through.

Or someone else xD 

10 minutes ago, Dan said:

Swansea are terrible, can see Burnley beating Stoke on Tuesday too.

• Administrator

Equaliser for Arsenal. Walcott scrambles it in. Very scrappy goal. Man City turned off at the quick corner. Clichy plays everyone onside. 

3 hours ago, Toony said:

Huge game about to start now.

Boro look almost gone if they lose today, big week for them though with Hull & Burnley to follow.

It was a boring game. There's time I'll never get back. Middlebrough have been very poor.

Defending from both sides has been dreadful, at least City have a slight excuse considering it isn't their first choice but fuck me! We are honestly pony right now, we came back well after going down early, but to concede again so quickly was just ridiculously poor. There is goals for us here, but they're plenty for City as well.

18 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Xhaka is horrid. 

Everyone is horrid for us right now apart from Alexis. Ozil is actually having one of his better games apart from the mistake for the City goal. We will be a disaster next year without them two. Our attack looks so much better with Ozil involved.

• Subscriber
18 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

Spurs are becoming pretty solid. I thought you'd suffer missing Kane but the results keep coming in. 

Good win today!

Yeah, Swansea on Wednesday and Watford at home on Saturday - need 6 points and then we will be looking very comfortable. 

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Romesh said:

Good win for you indeed especially given Burnley's record as you say. What actually happened with Winks? Saw him writhing in agony on MOTD but they didn't really capture what happened. Did he do his ankle in as he ran off the pitch or as he fell over all the water bottles?

Hard to tell - he got injured before he fell over the water bottles though, you could see him in agony as he pulled out of the tackle. No one quite knows what he's done yet but looked a bad one. Definitely done for the season which is a shame 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Dan said:

I think the exact same. We could actually go 9th on Tuesday and while it requires 5 results, not one of them isn't impossible.

I think we're safe barring a total disaster if we win on Tuesday. I reckon 36 points probably keeps you up. Like I said we could actually hit 9th in the table with 36. It's going to be a lower points tally that keeps you up than usual.

I didn't realise how Burnley had dropped a bit. Was surprised we were above them. West Ham too look in freefall. My West Ham supporting mate had a fiver on them to drop a couple of weeks ago at 40/1.

I actually think now the Leicester away game is our hardest remaining fixture

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Storts said:

I actually think now the Leicester away game is our hardest remaining fixture

They've still not announced when it is have they?

I've said this for a little while but I've got this sneaky feeling us and Chelsea are going to do a complete role reversal for that fixture.

• The title was changed to Matchday Chat - 15th-17th April 2017
  • The topic was pinned
  • The topic was unpinned
  • The topic was locked

Archived