talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

American Politics Discussion

football forum

14 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The culture war is of such little importance and is only used to drive a wedge between people to force them onto either side of "liberal" or "conservative" even though both parties in the US are remarkably similar - and that's because at the end of the day both parties are slaves to the same corporate masters.

Regardless, I don't think you can assume NAGA (the institution you're talking about) speaks for all natives in the US - https://news.berkeley.edu/2020/02/04/native-mascots-survey/#:~:text=Contrary to polls showing that relatively few Native,team’s 87-year-old moniker and Native mascots in general. it seems like there's basically a 50-50 split over whether they support the name being changed. Regardless of what you, I, or any other white person might think... the previous name is a racial slur.

At the end of the day... who fucking cares? It's an NFL team that's changed it's name from something that might offend half the people in the community it was named after. Now they've got a name that will offend less people and people just want to be offended that the name has changed. Who gives a fuck? It's an American football team name.

I don't know if you want to talk about no anti-Arab hatred in the US though considering 3 Palestinian kids were just shot for being Palestinian. America's clearly got a problem with antisemitism and anti-Muslim sentiment. Given the events that have transpired in Australia, the UK, France, Germany, Spain, etc... it doesn't appear to be isolated to the US either.

I also don't know what you're expecting in the US to do with this rally in Scranton, PA. If you expect cops to break the rally up... why the hell would you expect that? It's the US, KKK members can advocate for killing every non-white, white supremacists can hold rallies and chant "Jews will not replace us," a large number of morons can even storm the US Capitol building and just get a slap on the wrist for trying to overthrow the government. They take freedom of speech more seriously than other countries, even when it's hateful speech that shouldn't be protected. Expecting the government to do anything about a protest in the US is wild. Even when it gets violent and unlawful, I doubt arrests would come after the protests - like they did with the rioters who stormed the US capitol. And even then, the charges they'll get would be... pitiful considering the offense. And from what I can tell, these riots didn't get violent. They just chanted repugnant things.

But you, a non-American that doesn't live or work in America, getting worked up about the US culture wars makes no sense. @Spike and I are non-Americans living and working in the USA. I'm pretty sure both of us see the culture war as nothing more than a divisive distraction issue. @Coma's American and I'm fairly certain he feels the same way. It's just bizarre to care so much about America's culture wars. For most Americans these issues aren't even close to important.

If people stopped focusing on culture wars and started focusing on why politicians in the US are so bad at doing anything other than pleasing corporate interests, the US would be a lot better off. It doesn't need people that are pretty unconnected from the US other than consuming their culture joining in on fighting the culture wars that the corporate interests are pushing.

What you're doing is just proving to the Murdoch family that their investment in getting people to care more about these utterly stupid culture wars is something that can successfully be exported to other countries - so that people stop caring about what matters and start getting at other peoples throats over stupid shit like the names of NFL teams.

one doesn't have to be American or living and/working in the US to understand that it filters into other cultures and creates the same divisive issues.

Furthermore I have a deeper cultural appreciation of America having grown up to NFL and MLB, so much so that I chose to play Baseball over sports that are prevalent.   I am also an Athletics fan and grown disillusioned at the idea that the A's franchise has a future in Oakland, I am at the point where the A's need to go but not Vegas, probably not California which is saturated.  

on a political standpoint I have a vested interest in a strong unified America, weakness emboldens the worst types, when America is strong the world is safer, in South Africa the commies are emboldened by America's weakness and throwing their lot in with China and Russia, I for one am very much opposed to all forms of communism, there has been a rapid acceleration of communist policy in the last 3 years.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The culture war is of such little importance and is only used to drive a wedge between people to force them onto either side of "liberal" or "conservative" even though both parties in the US are remarkably similar - and that's because at the end of the day both parties are slaves to the same corporate masters.

Regardless, I don't think you can assume NAGA (the institution you're talking about) speaks for all natives in the US - https://news.berkeley.edu/2020/02/04/native-mascots-survey/#:~:text=Contrary to polls showing that relatively few Native,team’s 87-year-old moniker and Native mascots in general. it seems like there's basically a 50-50 split over whether they support the name being changed. Regardless of what you, I, or any other white person might think... the previous name is a racial slur.

At the end of the day... who fucking cares? It's an NFL team that's changed it's name from something that might offend half the people in the community it was named after. Now they've got a name that will offend less people and people just want to be offended that the name has changed. Who gives a fuck? It's an American football team name.

I don't know if you want to talk about no anti-Arab hatred in the US though considering 3 Palestinian kids were just shot for being Palestinian. America's clearly got a problem with antisemitism and anti-Muslim sentiment. Given the events that have transpired in Australia, the UK, France, Germany, Spain, etc... it doesn't appear to be isolated to the US either.

I also don't know what you're expecting in the US to do with this rally in Scranton, PA. If you expect cops to break the rally up... why the hell would you expect that? It's the US, KKK members can advocate for killing every non-white, white supremacists can hold rallies and chant "Jews will not replace us," a large number of morons can even storm the US Capitol building and just get a slap on the wrist for trying to overthrow the government. They take freedom of speech more seriously than other countries, even when it's hateful speech that shouldn't be protected. Expecting the government to do anything about a protest in the US is wild. Even when it gets violent and unlawful, I doubt arrests would come after the protests - like they did with the rioters who stormed the US capitol. And even then, the charges they'll get would be... pitiful considering the offense. And from what I can tell, these riots didn't get violent. They just chanted repugnant things.

But you, a non-American that doesn't live or work in America, getting worked up about the US culture wars makes no sense. @Spike and I are non-Americans living and working in the USA. I'm pretty sure both of us see the culture war as nothing more than a divisive distraction issue. @Coma's American and I'm fairly certain he feels the same way. It's just bizarre to care so much about America's culture wars. For most Americans these issues aren't even close to important.

If people stopped focusing on culture wars and started focusing on why politicians in the US are so bad at doing anything other than pleasing corporate interests, the US would be a lot better off. It doesn't need people that are pretty unconnected from the US other than consuming their culture joining in on fighting the culture wars that the corporate interests are pushing.

What you're doing is just proving to the Murdoch family that their investment in getting people to care more about these utterly stupid culture wars is something that can successfully be exported to other countries - so that people stop caring about what matters and start getting at other peoples throats over stupid shit like the names of NFL teams.

Yeah it's tiring, you can't even have a discussion on political theory because it's so debased from reality. It melts people's brains that liberalism is conservatism in the USA because liberalism are the foundations of American political thought dating back to the founding fathers, it's just that somewhere people figured that liberal = progressive social policies, when it isn't at all. The democrats and repubs are just different crowds of the same liberalism ideals, personality responsibility, small government, low regulations, and so on, they just pander and contort those basic free-market principals towards their voting base, urbanites, religious cunts, whatever. The culture war is just a diversion of chewable debates and problems to distract people from critical assessments of problems that are fundamental in the systems they live in. Wanking over abstractions doesn't improve the material conditions of people's lives, moaning about an NFL team doesn't change rampant poverty and alcoholism in Indigenous American communities.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

one doesn't have to be American or living and/working in the US to understand that it filters into other cultures and creates the same divisive issues.

Furthermore I have a deeper cultural appreciation of America having grown up to NFL and MLB, so much so that I chose to play Baseball over sports that are prevalent.   I am also an Athletics fan and grown disillusioned at the idea that the A's franchise has a future in Oakland, I am at the point where the A's need to go but not Vegas, probably not California which is saturated.  

on a political standpoint I have a vested interest in a strong unified America, weakness emboldens the worst types, when America is strong the world is safer, in South Africa the commies are emboldened by America's weakness and throwing their lot in with China and Russia, I for one am very much opposed to all forms of communism, there has been a rapid acceleration of communist policy in the last 3 years.

*Unless you are

• Mexican
  • Cuban
  • Honduran
  • Colombian
  • El Salvadoran
  • Puerto Rican
  • Palestinian
  • Cambodian
  • Filipino
  • Syrian
  • Afghanistani
  • Iraqi
  • North Korean
  • Vietnamese

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few

56 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

American culture is exported everywhere in the world, they're probably the largest exporters of their culture because they've gotten the good at getting everyone else to consume American media. The culture wars of the US are nothing different. This "culture war" shite is just coming from American news media, which is shit at providing news but exists mostly as a form of "informational entertainment" as well as peddling corporate interests. By consuming that particular type of American culture, getting enraged by the "culture wars" happening in a country you don't live in - you're only serving to make sure it filters worldwide.

By getting worked up over these pretty minor societal issues in another country and worrying about how it filters to South Africa or whatever... you end up putting the culture wars on a pedestal. Actual issues to the US, South Africa, or any country, become less important once you're fully invested in the culture wars.

If you're worried about corporate interests perverting US politics and that spreading worldwide, you probably shouldn't give a fuck about what corporate US media wants you to think about these minor issues. You're better off worrying about actual issues that impact your day-to-day life than worrying about an NFL team's name, whether a fan was wronged by some shit journalist at a fringe website, whether or not Bud Light is a gay beer, or if the next Marvel movie is going to be too "woke" etc...

You're not supporting a strong and united America by having a vested interest in this culture war. The culture war exists to divide Americans and keep people thinking about politics like its a spectator sport where they've got a team to support and another team to hate. A strong unified America has people focused on the fundamental issues that impact almost everyone. The culture war just distracts people from these issues and tries to force people into backing politicians that will absolutely do nothing about these fundamental issues.

3 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I couldn't give a fuck less about changing team names. As if that is the biggest problem in this country lol.

For Washington and Cleveland it seemed like the right thing to do if people were genuinely upset about it. The travesty here was the new team names were so bad. The Guardians and the Commanders? I could eat some alphabet soup and shit out better names.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Spike said:

Great man , the world is a lesser place because of Kissinger' s death.  As for the war criminal crap, Henry said it best of this criticism, it is a reflection of their ignorance. 

RIP  Henry

56 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

Great man , the world is a lesser place because of Kissinger' s death.  As for the war criminal crap, Henry said it best of this criticism, it is a reflection of their ignorance. 

RIP  Henry

Go tell that to Cambodia.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Redcanuck said:

RIP  Henry

Tell that to the extra 7 years of war in Vietnam and then extending conflict to Laos and Cambodia. Tell that to supporting Indoenesia’s pogrom on East Timor. The man was a warmonger devoid of ideology besides tightening his personal power.

4 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

executing villages, burning people alive, mass graves sites are things attributed to Nazi's, Communists and Jihadists.   It just seems like America is beyond the scope of UN sanction. 

Also done by Serb nationalists on the during Bosnian war and many Christian warlords in Africa. You've got a very selective reality perception. War crimes are far from being committed by groups you dissent with only.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Also done by Serb nationalists on the during Bosnian war and many Christian warlords in Africa. You've got a very selective reality perception. War crimes are far from being committed by groups you dissent with only.

Christian warlords in africa,  which ones are you referring to,  Islamic encroachment has happened at an alarmingly quick rate,  countries like Eritrea, Sudan, Kenya, Uganda are either african traditionalist or islamic,   Nigeria is under constant attack from Islam,  Boko Haram etc.   Christian Africa is mostly very southern,  though I can't really recall anyone that would be called a christian warlord. 

Yes the serb bosnian ware was rather bad,  those damn eastern bloc hooligans.

Yes those damn Knight Templars were also very bad people that engaged in things like cannibalism amongst the other rather cruel things.  

3 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

Christian warlords in africa,  which ones are you referring to,  Islamic encroachment has happened at an alarmingly quick rate,  countries like Eritrea, Sudan, Kenya, Uganda are either african traditionalist or islamic,   Nigeria is under constant attack from Islam,  Boko Haram etc.   Christian Africa is mostly very southern,  though I can't really recall anyone that would be called a christian warlord. 

Yes the serb bosnian ware was rather bad,  those damn eastern bloc hooligans.

Yes those damn Knight Templars were also very bad people that engaged in things like cannibalism amongst the other rather cruel things.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord's_Resistance_Army

lol have you ever tried googling for things?

• Upvote 1

Anyone that uses "fight in the name of the Lord" is rather dubious,  it seems like an easy way to sell warmongering,  I would regard Bantu's as traditionalists and what was done seems to be normal services resumed in Africa.  Uganda prior to that was governed by an islamic warlord idi amin,   to continue the constant state of flux.    

Christians and Muslims will divide peoples opinion on right and wrong and stir up the most online fights for which new religion is more virtuous.   

In summary,  if you use your religion as a basis for war,  you are probably a shit person. 

11 hours ago, Tommy said:

It's a shame that so many good people die young, and that piece of shit got to live to 100.

You would think that having lived in Nazi Germany as a Jew and having been persecuted by the Nazis in Germany, that his political actions would have been more empathetic. But alas, he turned out to be a war monger and his political decisions resulted in the millions of deaths of innocent people. Interestingly enough, he played for the youth team of Greuther Furth, before his family fled Germany. So he was a bit of a talented footballer in his youth, it's just a shame that he became an infamous politician in adulthood.

• Upvote 3

George Anthony Devolder Santos is was an American politician who is was the U.S. representative for New York's 3rd congressional district, serving since 2023. A member of the Republican Party, Santos was elected to Congress in 2022 after running unsuccessfully in 2020 against incumbent Democratic representative Thomas Suozzi

GOP Rep. George Santos told CNN after the House voted to expel him that "it’s over."

“The House spoke that’s their vote. They just set new dangerous precedent for themselves,” he added.

When asked if he would still stay and use nonmember privileges because he is not convicted, Santos said, "Why would I want to stay here? To hell with this place.”

Pressed if he knew this was how it was going to go, Santos said, "I had no skin in the game." 

And then he said, "You know what? As unofficially no longer a member of Congress, I no longer have to answer your questions."

• Haha 1