talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Leeds United Discussion

football forum

7 minutes ago, Coma said:

That's a fair comment.  I guess I'd say that the football this year was exhilarating and I'd have it no other way.  I can see how after multiple years of running that players might get a little sick of it, but winning cures all and we won 18 games.  I'm excited to see what happens next season as I do believe that we could potentially finish higher than 9th.

Leeds have become the club that Bielsa has spent the most time with and eventually the ideas will get stale and players will need a change, either in management or scenery.  I genuinely think that 2022 will be his last season in charge as he won't want things to turn stale.

As his team went on in the Championship I did think he might end up having a longer shelf life here simply because of how ingrained the physical element of football is in English football. 

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

@Lucas I have a colleague who is retiring this year. He's a Leeds fan and we're trying to get a 20/21 home shirt for him which we can also get his name/number on the back. The club website and Adidas are sold out. Any suggestions?

57 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

@Lucas I have a colleague who is retiring this year. He's a Leeds fan and we're trying to get a 20/21 home shirt for him which we can also get his name/number on the back. The club website and Adidas are sold out. Any suggestions?

What's his size? 

If it were me, I would look at ebay with regards to the shirt. It's so hard to get hold of any of last season's stuff now.

Does it have to be last season's? There are centenary shirts on ebay that we wore for one game that have various sizes. Could be a shout? It's also brand new with tags.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leeds-United-Centenary-Shirt-BNWT-/313520350883?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Could you wait and get this season's maybe? Might be a nice touch to give him the shirt in the season he's calling it a day?

• Subscriber
25 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Could you wait and get this season's maybe? Might be a nice touch to give him the shirt in the season he's calling it a day?

Yeah, it doesn't have to be I suppose but the idea is exactly this, his last year of a teacher has been 2020-21. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Now here is the contender for the 'Pie In The Sky' award 2021.

Ask Huntelaar and Raul which was the best mid-field pairing they played with in recent years - Answer Goretzka and Meyer.  Leon is doing fine in Munich but on the Radar of a few UK clubs.  Max has not been offered a contract for next season at Cologne and is virtually free - German Olympic Captain and final scorer to be trashed by Hodgson at Palace.  I see a lot of similarity in the play of a young Goretzka and a young Kalvin....  Together Kalvin and Max -  they could be and probably would be awesome. Had dinner with Kevin DB 3 weeks ago and even he can't understand Max's situation.  Well - an old man can dream - can't I?

25 minutes ago, Stan said:

Good news for Leeds.. 

Player of the Season last year and picked up the FPL goat mantle off Lundstrum.

Of all the players to make the step up and look like they have played here for years, he was the one that impressed me most. Effortless.

32 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Player of the Season last year and picked up the FPL goat mantle off Lundstrum.

Of all the players to make the step up and look like they have played here for years, he was the one that impressed me most. Effortless.

He was class when he played for us, great energy down the wings and was handy to score a goal or two as well

2 hours ago, Danny said:

He was class when he played for us, great energy down the wings and was handy to score a goal or two as well

Yeah, he's got that in his locker. The fact so few players can actually hit a quality ball with either foot is testament to his versatility on either flank.

Cheers for him xD

7 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Yeah, he's got that in his locker. The fact so few players can actually hit a quality ball with either foot is testament to his versatility on either flank.

Cheers for him xD

He got angry when we shifted Mark Warburton on, the group of players at the time were very loyal to him so he was never going to stick around. Ironically him leaving us is a result of the work/direction we've done/gone in to get promoted, whilst he's also gone on to get you promoted.

Funny world xD

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I know Leeds and Bielsa are in a bit of a rut at the moment and some classic lines will be thrown out, second season syndrome, Bielsa burnout etc.

But I think it’s worth remembering that this is essentially the fourth season in a row he’s been at the helm and a lot of the current team have been there since the start of his reign. Football is cyclic and the same group of players can only achieve a certain degree of high performance before they’ll dip. Leeds have made a lot of additions this season and last, but I think it’s the engine room of that team that’s in slight disrepair and needs upgrading.

As long as they stick with Bielsa and back him in the market I think they will go onto have a good season next season and won’t get drawn into relegation this season. Watford, Newcastle, Norwich and Burnley will all provide a footing for them stay away from that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So last weekend we got Ayling and Bamford back after 3 months out.

One week on, we've lost Bamford again, Kalvin Phillips and Liam Cooper, all to hamstrings.

Phillips is rumoured to be out till February. Bamford and Cooper 3-4 weeks they say. Bamford pulled a hammy celebrating his goal. I mean, really?! What kind of luck is that?

On top of that, Rodrigo has a heel issue and still no Robin Koch.

I don't want to be that guy and I know everyone get's injuries but I really think we've been dealt a bad hand this season by the players we've been missing.

Chelsea, City, Arsenal, Liverpool next. I suppose you could say we wouldnt get anything out of those games but still, we can't afford to be missing these players.

Honestly, give us a break.

On 09/12/2021 at 15:06, Lucas said:

One week on, we've lost Bamford again, Kalvin Phillips and Liam Cooper, all to hamstrings.

Phillips is rumoured to be out till February. Bamford and Cooper 3-4 weeks they say. Bamford pulled a hammy celebrating his goal. I mean, really?! What kind of luck is that?

I don't want to be that guy and I know everyone get's injuries but I really think we've been dealt a bad hand this season by the players we've been missing.

Chelsea, City, Arsenal, Liverpool next. I suppose you could say we wouldnt get anything out of those games but still, we can't afford to be missing these players.

Given how good your academy is and the academy recruitment has been it may be beneficial in the long term for players such as Cresswell given Bielsa's reluctance to change players that are used to his system.

Apart from the Phillips injury of course. The protection he offered last season was staggering.

On 09/12/2021 at 15:06, Lucas said:

I wonder if it’s related to last season, one of the toughest seasons ever physically, then the Euros, then you have this season where people have had a bit of a break and maybe the bodies are struggling to get back to normal 

4 hours ago, Danny said:

I wonder if it’s related to last season, one of the toughest seasons ever physically, then the Euros, then you have this season where people have had a bit of a break and maybe the bodies are struggling to get back to normal 

You cant point to fixture congestion, good or worse, in an open forum when it comes to Leeds United. Ben White will develop a personality outta nowhere and abuse you 

Will be interesting to see what happens with Leeds and the fans once Bielsa goes. I don’t think that’ll be for a couple years yet, but as long as Bielsa is there I think there seems to be an air of gratitude at the club and almost an us against the world mentality even when there’s genuine criticism to be levelled at the coaching staff and team.

Once that goes a new manager will have to come in without the backinf that they got Leeds out of the Football League, new expectations, investments etc. Obviously Bielsa is still there and everyone’s excited to see how far he can take a team in the Prem. Leeds are going to be a really interesting club to watch over the next few years.

Archived