talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

What's The Best XI We Can Make?

football forums

9 minutes ago, Michael said:

I don't have a huge issue with you selecting Tapia, given the rules of needing to select a number of South Americans in the team. The only issue I might have is the fact that he hasn't proven himself at an elite club or at elite level(eg. Champions League, World Cup). Where as several other South American players in his position, like Casemeiro and Fabinho, have proven themselves at the very top level. But yeah, I've seen Tapia play and he has been quality this season.

I fully agree with you, he needs a few more years to prove he is elite. I admitted to picking him because he's my countrymen, but again I wouldn't have done it if I didn't think he's earned it. Because he's on course to be in La Liga's best XI this season, and is already the 3rd best CDM from South America. Besides Fabinho and maybe Casemiro, who is ahead of him? Barrios? I doubt it.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Mpache said:

Was I not allowed to update my own country?

The "people are special" comment was xenophobic, and totally unnecessary.

It wasn’t any of those things, mate you’re looking for offense to take.

He very clearly didn’t mean special like wearing helmets, being told not to run with sharp scissors, and having to be kept away from sharp corners xD - he’s saying no matter how special Peru and it’s people might be, there was no way in hell cases would be confirmed that quick.

It’s honestly not something worth hanging onto and holding a grudge over. It’s light hearted ribbing at its HARSHEST.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

This. My whole point of this thread was to spur debate for us to come up with a possible XI that has a twist.

Yep.

I am also blaming you for the instigation of it all. 

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

It wasn’t any of those things, mate you’re looking for offense to take.

He very clearly didn’t mean special like wearing helmets, being told not to run with sharp scissors, and having to be kept away from sharp corners xD - he’s saying no matter how special Peru and it’s people might be, there was no way in hell cases would be confirmed that quick.

It’s honestly not something worth hanging onto and holding a grudge over. It’s light hearted ribbing at its HARSHEST.

I can absolutely guarantee you he didn't mean that, based off other comments he's made.

I don't look for "offence to take". I've been critiqued by Spike earlier in the thread and took it in a light hearted way. There was another example in another thread which I cannot remember. 

I know who is attacking me and who isn't and there's no sugarcoating it.

9 minutes ago, Mpache said:

There's a difference between disputing it and having a go at me as being absurd for picking a totally reasonable choice.

It's like being on a forum with plenty of Ronaldo fanboys and claiming Messi is better.

I just showed you why myself, and by the looks of it 99% of this forum, disagrees with it being reasonable. Casimerio and Fabninho have been performing at an elite level, playing for Top clubs, for years. Tapia has had one good season for Celta, in a Spanish league that is arguably the worst its been for decades. 

Just now, Cicero said:

I just showed you why myself, and by the looks of it 99% of this forum, disagrees with it being reasonable. Casimerio and Fabninho have been performing at an elite level, playing for Top clubs, for years. Tapia has had one good season for Celta, in a Spanish league that is arguably the worst its been for decades. 

So because 99% of the forum, who doesn't watch La Liga disagrees with it being reasonable, means that it is unreasonable?

We've had a regular La Liga watcher come in, and Michael who's admitted to watching him claim he's not totally disagreeing with me, and you prefer to listen to the non watcher. Right.

I agree with you on Casemiro and Fabinho and have made my point regarding that. But last time I checked, Casemiro also plays in la Liga.

2 minutes ago, Mpache said:

I can absolutely guarantee you he didn't mean that, based off other comments he's made.

I don't look for "offence to take". I've been critiqued by Spike earlier in the thread and took it in a light hearted way. There was another example in another thread which I cannot remember. 

I know who is attacking me and who isn't and there's no sugarcoating it.

It is so clear what he means, out of context, but even especially in context... that I don’t even know how you got offended if you weren’t looking to?

Just now, Mpache said:

So because 99% of the forum, who doesn't watch La Liga disagrees with it being reasonable, means that it is unreasonable?

We've had a regular La Liga watcher come in, and Michael who's admitted to watching him claim he's not totally disagreeing with me, and you prefer to listen to the non watcher. Right.

I agree with you on Casemiro and Fabinho and have made my point regarding that. But last time I checked, Casemiro also plays in la Liga.

Casemiro and Fabinho would be my choices ahead of Tapia, because they have proven their quality for several seasons at elite level. But Tapia has been superb in the La Liga this season and if you want to select him in your team, partly to support your country as you've admitted, I don't see a huge issue. Now lets all move on from this. :91_thumbsup:

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Mpache said:

But also Champions League and was a massive benefit to Real in their several CL triumphs and has held that level and consistency for several years 

Tapia has had a very good season by all accounts, it doesn't mean he automatically would make a world XI. Maybe Tapia will almost guarantee a spot in a World XI if he makes another step up and plays consistently well. It's a possibility...

I'd love to be biased and put Ndidi in because he's an absolute beast and one of the best DMs in the Premier League. Does he make a World XI? No. Because there are better players out there. 

1 minute ago, Mpache said:

The same Casemiro that was the anchor for a Real Madrid side that won 3 back to back European titles, league titles, and domestic titles. 

Yes, I find the notion completely unreasonable when you consider what both Casemiro and Fabinho have done in European football compared to Tapia. 

Just now, Michael said:

Casemiro and Fabinho would be my choices ahead of Tapia, because they have proven their quality for several seasons at elite level. But Tapia has been superb in the La Liga this season and if you want to select him in your team, partly to support your country as you've admitted, I don't see a huge issue. Now lets all move on from this. :91_thumbsup:

Exactly.

I don't disagree with the Casemiro/Fabinho options ahead of Tapia, because as it's been noted they've been doing it for years at the top level.

I picked Tapia ahead of them cos he's earned it and is no longer a ludicrous choice. I could have just as easily picked Aquino, who I prefer but he plays in Mexico and it's not really the best choice for a countrymen to support.

He's been one of the best CDM's in La Liga for only one season, and I know if he keeps this up he will move to an elite level and be able to perform consistently. 

It actually made me remember why I tipped him to Barcelona/Real Madrid before the World Cup, because on form he is immensely talented. He just needed to cut out the short and out of defence bullshit that he showed at Feyenoord. 2 years later, he well has done.

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

The same Casemiro that was the anchor for a Real Madrid side that won 3 back to back European titles, league titles, and domestic titles. 

Yes, I find the notion completely unreasonable when you consider what both Casemiro and Fabinho have done in European football compared to Tapia. 

For god sakes man, he wants his countryman in the team, just let him do it! xD

Just now, Mpache said:

Exactly.

I don't disagree with the Casemiro/Fabinho options ahead of Tapia, because as it's been noted they've been doing it for years at the top level.

I picked Tapia ahead of them cos he's earned it and is no longer a ludicrous choice. I could have just as easily picked Aquino, who I prefer but he plays in Mexico and it's not really the best choice for a countrymen to support.

He's been one of the best CDM's in La Liga for only one season, and I know if he keeps this up he will move to an elite level and be able to perform consistently

It actually made me remember why I tipped him to Barcelona/Real Madrid before the World Cup, because on form he is immensely talented. He just needed to cut out the short and out of defence bullshit that he showed at Feyenoord. 2 years later, he well has done.

But here is the issue that some people will have, you are assuming that he will keep up this level of football. Whereas Casemiro and Fabinho have proven themselves at the elite level for years. 

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

Tapia is 25. Fabinho and Casemiro are 27 and 29 respectively. Actually the former didn't really break into an elite level until that Monaco run, where he was (shocker) 24/25. 

He still has plenty of time to break into an elite team. Mertens and Kante were well under the radar until they broke into a more reputable team.

Just now, Michael said:

But here is the issue that some people will have, you are assuming that he will keep up this level of football. Whereas Casemiro and Fabinho have proven themselves at the elite level for years. 

Kante after only one season became a world class player.

I'm not saying Tapia is the same, because he's not leading Celta to a title. And Kante was one of the biggest key assets in that Leicester title.

However, what I'm saying is he has huge potential to break into an elite club. Already looked at by PSG, Juve and Atletico, if this season is to go by as he's been superb. Right now, it's obvious Casemiro and Fabinho are the options. However, I picked Tapia because he earned a spot for me after shutting me up. I had lost faith in him after the World Cup, and now that he can break into what I originally thought he would be pre-WC, I figured I might as well.

Archived