Last 3 Meetings
19/12/2020 - Everton 2-1 Arsenal
23/02/2020 - Arsenal 3-2 Everton
21/12/2019 - Everton 0-0 Arsenal

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Calvert-Lewin, Mina, Gomes all back for this. Squad is probably in the strongest position it's been since before Christmas. We play a few sides with not much to play for in the run-in. This game and the visit to West Ham will be decisive in where we finish the season. With players coming back into the fold and the remaining fixtures looking decent for us, a win here would make it feel like the stars aligning to some extent heading into the final stretch. A draw wouldn't really be enough, either in terms of points or in terms of building momentum. Arsenal are very beatable and hopefully have half an eye on their Europa League campaign too.

Honestly, you would not think either team has anything to play for here.

Where is the urgency? The desire? It's all non-existent. Both sides going through the motions really. 

At least Everton are the away side, the onus is more on Arsenal to take the game to them and they haven't.

But that's not to detract from the fact Everton win they are 2pts behind Champions League. Mental.

• Subscriber
Just now, Lucas said:

It's ridiculous when those lines come out to deny that but equally, Richarlison literally tickled Ceballos' leg.

He'd have had heavier contact if he farted on him instead.

An embarrassment all round for what is now the established behaviour of players at this level, the way the rules are in football these days and the way VAR is implemented in the Premier League. 

It's an impressive number of times Everton have managed to nick games they really didn't deserve this season.

I'm not quite sure how they have done it in truth but credit to them for staying resolute I guess.

Arsenal are an absolute joke of a club. For their sake, its a good job the Super League never happened or they would have been the Sheff Utd of that league.

• Subscriber

We were poor in the first half and abject in the second. The fact Arsenal still managed to lose to us is yet another illustration of what a directionless mess they are. I was 3 years old when we last won at Arsenal, yet here we are coming away from their place and there's at least as many negatives as positives from that performance for me. But I can't be arsed banging on about our very obvious weaknesses, we have what we have until the end of the season.

We are 3 points off 4th, people are going to be talking about us being back in the race. We aren't, performances like that have become semi-regular for us and it's incredible that you can win games in the Premier League playing like that. A lot of occasions it's been a case of our manager outsmarting other teams who are on or just above our level, can't really even say that was the case tonight.

We played reasonably well against Spurs last week. If we can bring that performance against Wolves, Villa, Sheffield United, then we have as good a chance as anyone at getting into Europe (not top 4). If we play like we did tonight, we won't keep getting lucky like we did on this occasion, and we will end up 8th.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Lucas said:

It's an impressive number of times Everton have managed to nick games they really didn't deserve this season.

I'm not quite sure how they have done it in truth but credit to them for staying resolute I guess.

Arsenal are an absolute joke of a club. For their sake, its a good job the Super League never happened or they would have been the Sheff Utd of that league.

Nah, I'm not having that we've robbed anyone else quite that badly this season. xD

And as always when people make this point, I have a problem with the word "deserved". If a team has more possession or shots in a football match but doesn't manage to put the ball in the net more times than their opponent, they don't "deserve" anything more or less than what they get either.

By all means, use "shithouse" or "smash and grab" or "win ugly" but personally I don't think style and approach amount to "deserving" better or worse results.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived