talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Manchester City Discussion

football forum

On 01/07/2023 at 22:24, LFCMadLad said:

LOAD. OF. BOLLOCKS!

Man City DO NOT generate more money than every club in world football... they don't even generate more money than  2 other clubs in England.

Cooking the books really doesn't count :rofl:

I think it's a ridiculous claim that they can somehow spin more money than Real Madrid. We all know these "external" UAE sponsors, many of whom just have "PAGE COMING SOON" if you go to their website are just the UAE funneling money to the club and reporting it as revenue. I suppose they don't care as long as they get away with it.

But I think it's funny they think it's a convincing defense of the way they've gone about building their football club without regard for the FFP rules.

35 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think it's a ridiculous claim that they can somehow spin more money than Real Madrid. We all know these "external" UAE sponsors, many of whom just have "PAGE COMING SOON" if you go to their website are just the UAE funneling money to the club and reporting it as revenue. I suppose they don't care as long as they get away with it.

But I think it's funny they think it's a convincing defense of the way they've gone about building their football club without regard for the FFP rules.

You love fake news mate :4_joy: City make 700million legit, 300mill in prize money alone this season B|

On 03/07/2023 at 20:53, Dr. Gonzo said:

There must be something going on with them selling youth players for so much as well.

James Trafford for £15m

Shea Charles for £10m

2 hours ago, 6666 said:

There must be something going on with them selling youth players for so much as well.

James Trafford for £15m

Shea Charles for £10m

I don't think that's so terrible tbh. We live in a world where Dortmund paid £25m for a 17 year old and it was absolutely worth it for them because he was quality and ended up looking world class and then they sold him for 4 times that roughly. And that was just the initial fee according to Birmingham dependent on performance related criteria... that I'm sure he met some of. If sides get it right when they pay for promising young talent, it really can go right.

James Trafford's a 20 year old keeper who looks really good for his age and has 60-ish league appearances at age 20. He looks like with the right coaching you've possibly got a top keeper and keepers can play til pretty late in their careers. Shea Charles I don't know anything about other than he's got more appearances for Northern Ireland than he's got for club football, so that's a bit weird.

But I don't blame clubs taking advantage of the fact their youth team's got a good reputation. And in fairness to City, what they've done with their academy is one of the more commendable things they've done with their oil money. I don't think it's even necessarily an English clubs having money thing that have made the rising price of young players in the last few decades a thing. Tbh, I sort of think James Trafford's likely to be a sort of English Donnarumma - really talented for his age, pretty likely that he's got a big future ahead of him.

5 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don't think that's so terrible tbh. We live in a world where Dortmund paid £25m for a 17 year old and it was absolutely worth it for them because he was quality and ended up looking world class and then they sold him for 4 times that roughly. And that was just the initial fee according to Birmingham dependent on performance related criteria... that I'm sure he met some of. If sides get it right when they pay for promising young talent, it really can go right.

James Trafford's a 20 year old keeper who looks really good for his age and has 60-ish league appearances at age 20. He looks like with the right coaching you've possibly got a top keeper and keepers can play til pretty late in their careers. Shea Charles I don't know anything about other than he's got more appearances for Northern Ireland than he's got for club football, so that's a bit weird.

But I don't blame clubs taking advantage of the fact their youth team's got a good reputation. And in fairness to City, what they've done with their academy is one of the more commendable things they've done with their oil money. I don't think it's even necessarily an English clubs having money thing that have made the rising price of young players in the last few decades a thing. Tbh, I sort of think James Trafford's likely to be a sort of English Donnarumma - really talented for his age, pretty likely that he's got a big future ahead of him.

I heard a story that saying donnarumma in Milan will get you beat up.

• 2 weeks later...

Another city academy player who has played fuck all minutes for them but goes for an obscene amount. 

They flogged some fella to Southampton for 10m and a lad who was playing league one last season to Burnley for 17m. Dodgy dealings going on here, I’m sure of it. 

3 minutes ago, Rick said:

Another city academy player who has played fuck all minutes for them but goes for an obscene amount. 

They flogged some fella to Southampton for 10m and a lad who was playing league one last season to Burnley for 17m. Dodgy dealings going on here, I’m sure of it. 

Yeah, because pocket change is going to make the difference when we just won 300million in prize money :4_joy:

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Rick said:

Neco Williams - £20m (13 PL games for Liverpool)

Marko Grujic - £9m (8 PL games for Liverpool)

Dominic Solanke - £20m (21 PL games for Liverpool, 1 goal)

Danny Ward - £12m (never going to forgive you for this)

Jordon Ibe - £15m (39 PL games for Liverpool)

Your point is totally warranted about the extortionate fees that Man City seem to get for younger, untested, inexperienced players. But they're not the only club that seem to do it (the above is just an example from Transfermarkt, approx fees). It seems clubs pay over the odds for potential as opposed to looking for cheaper deals. 

44 minutes ago, Stan said:

Your point is totally warranted about the extortionate fees that Man City seem to get for younger, untested, inexperienced players. But they're not the only club that seem to do it (the above is just an example from Transfermarkt, approx fees). It seems clubs pay over the odds for potential as opposed to looking for cheaper deals. 

Didn’t Porto sign Grujic after 2 years on loan with them? I think they probably got fair value for him tbh 

The others… tbh I still think Neco Williams is a very good player, but yeah those fees for what we sold are hilarious.

I think City are cheats, but them selling off academy players at relatively high fees doesn’t surprise me at all. They’ve got a good academy with a huge reputation, getting players to try to be ready to play with the first team.

Big clubs and small clubs have to pay a bit extra when all parties involved agree that the player has potential to be worth much more than they’re currently worth.

3 hours ago, Stan said:

Apart from Ward, all of those players had played numerous games for the first team. These city players they are flogging have never made a senior appearance for them. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Charles we've been linked with too. Apparently versatile in midfield and back line and has some maturity about him in his play. 

Didn't he sign for Southampton? 

Club Captain Walker lifts the first bit of goldware this season with a good 5-3 win today in Japan after only 3 training sessions B| most the squad got minutes with the standout youngster being Oscar Bobb, must be worth 30million :ph34r: goals from Stones, Alvarez, Haaland 2 and Rodrigo with another long ranger. Cancelo played well, Phillips still looks shite, gives the ball away a lot, Kovacic was decent

Man City XI

Man City XI: Ortega Moreno, Walker, Stones, Akanji, Ake, Phillips, Kovacic, McAtee, Palmer, Grealish, Alvarez.

Man City second-half subs: Cancelo (45), Dias (45), Laporte (45), Lewis (45), Rodri (45), Foden (45), Bernardo (45), Perrone (75), Bobb (45), Gomez (45), Haaland (45)

Subs not used: Ederson, Carson, De Bruyne

t8Hvy0S.jpg

Todays formation against Madrid is interesting in our last pre season game, is Pep going to play with 2 strikers in some games next season? ..Stones will drop in at CB when needed. De Bruyne is not 100% yet but when he's back in the middle, Foden on the left for Grealish and Gvardiol on the left of defence that's going to be a strong first 11

Ederson

Walker - Dias - Laporte

Stones - Rodrigo

Bernardo - Foden - Grealish

Alvarez - Haaland

Our depth could could do with some work Bench today:- Ortega, Carson, Ake, Akanji, Lewis, Gomez, Cancelo, Phillips, Kovacic, Perrone, Palmer, Bobb, McAtee

Edited by Happy Blue

On 30/07/2023 at 07:33, Happy Blue said:

Both teams had the ball in the net twice, not much else needs saying :ph34r: ..our depth is not good enough right now

Eh... they're just training matches mate, I really don't think you can draw too many inferences from them.