• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

James Ward-Prowse Linked With Aston Villa

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Spike said:

Pointless move going from Southampton to Aston Villa

I don’t know, Villa seem to be making some moves. Probably going to push for Europe in the next season or two. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Rick said:

I don’t know, Villa seem to be making some moves. Probably going to push for Europe in the next season or two. 

Agreed. Southampton don't really have much going for them. 

This works out both ways for Villa. They have a good player to add to their squad, or they have a very decent replacement if Grealish was to leave. 

• Administrator
12 hours ago, Spike said:

Pointless move going from Southampton to Aston Villa

Villa are a much bigger sporting institution than Southampton, the two aren't even comparable. Southampton is a large city with a decent youth academy but barring one FA Cup in the 70s has nothing on the brummies. 

I'm not 100% sure JWP would agree to go to Villa you know. 

Could be wrong of course but he is quite a level headed guy and if he was to leave Southampton, I think he'd rather wait for someone else.

Let's be real, only takes Grealish to leave Villa and they are an entirely different animal.

3 hours ago, Batard said:

Villa are a much bigger sporting institution than Southampton, the two aren't even comparable. Southampton is a large city with a decent youth academy but barring one FA Cup in the 70s has nothing on the brummies. 

Aston Villa don’t have much more since the early 80s... that really doesn’t do much for a player in 2021

• Subscriber

Southampton do look very stagnant whereas Villa are a team on the up at the moment. As @Lucas says though, Grealish leaves it's a very different conversation.

The signing of Buendia is interesting. Either they're going big this summer to convince Grealish that he can still progress and meet his short term ambitions with the club, or they're being savvy and getting a few big money signings in because they know Grealish will be off for a huge fee before the end of the summer. You often end up paying a premium for your targets if the selling club knows you've got huge investment or incoming transfer fees burning a hole in your back pocket.

I think whatever happens, if Grealish looks as good in the Euros as he has in the warm up games they'll be swamped with offers and it'll be hard to keep him around.

1 minute ago, Spike said:

Aston Villa don’t have much more since the early 80s... that really doesn’t do much for a player in 2021

Not just that though, Villa Park is an electric stadium that is soaked in history. I've only been there once but even being sat in another stand the Holte End feels like the noise is about to fall on top of you. The club is a proper footballing institution in this country. It'd be the same if Everton came in, largely not much difference on the pitch between the two clubs but having the chance to play for a bigger club, at Goodison Park is a massive thing to say no to.

Sadly Southampton just don't have the same appeal and what's probably kept him there for that long is the fact he's an academy player. 

1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

Southampton do look very stagnant whereas Villa are a team on the up at the moment. As @Lucas says though, Grealish leaves it's a very different conversation.

The signing of Buendia is interesting. Either they're going big this summer to convince Grealish that he can still progress and meet his short term ambitions with the club, or they're being savvy and getting a few big money signings in because they know Grealish will be off for a huge fee before the end of the summer. You often end up paying a premium for your targets if the selling club knows you've got huge investment or incoming transfer fees burning a hole in your back pocket.

I think whatever happens, if Grealish looks as good in the Euros as he has in the warm up games they'll be swamped with offers and it'll be hard to keep him around.

Buendia would be a Barkley replacement no?

7 hours ago, Danny said:

Not just that though, Villa Park is an electric stadium that is soaked in history. I've only been there once but even being sat in another stand the Holte End feels like the noise is about to fall on top of you. The club is a proper footballing institution in this country. It'd be the same if Everton came in, largely not much difference on the pitch between the two clubs but having the chance to play for a bigger club, at Goodison Park is a massive thing to say no to.

Sadly Southampton just don't have the same appeal and what's probably kept him there for that long is the fact he's an academy player. 

That's fair enough but I don't see the point for Ward-Prowse's point of view. He is a very talented player and should be winning trophies, I just don't see how Aston Villa is a massive improvement, especially as he is the captain of his hometown's club. Nearly twenty years he has been a part of that club. Everton and Villa are 10th and 11th on the ladder, that isn't really that great of a leap forward, regardless of the prospective cultures and support.

Besides clubs like Southampton can never have that prestige if their players just leave every moment they get.

Archived