talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(Round of 16) - England 2-0 Germany - Tuesday 29th June, 2021

football forum

• Administrator
1 minute ago, shut up said:

Italy got played off the park by Austria for 90 mins...

And the other games?

Played off the park is a stretch. Austria perhaps deserved to win and were unlucky to ultimately lose, but it's not like they were totally dominant over Italy.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Stan said:

But Italy are actually playing well and not conceding, and provide some modicum of entertainment. England have been boring for the most part and don't concede.

But they haven’t conceded? How can one team have a great defence because they haven’t conceded, but the other is just lucky? That’s the double standard!

10 minutes ago, shut up said:

I was basing it on the below tweet but maybe the Spain squad wasn't announce then. Who are the promising youngsters in this germany side? Do they play regularly for top clubs in Europe like the England youngsters do? I can only think of Jamal...

Ahem, Jack Grealish, whom you were asking for several times during this tournament played with Aston Villa last season. Calling them an European top team, is a bit rich, don't you think?

1 hour ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

followed by the inevitable DVD/Blu-Ray release of this game. 

I was very confused when I was in England and saw DVD's of that pointless 5:1 game everywhere. 

6 minutes ago, shut up said:

Grealish will most likely be playing for Man City next season, but yeah I take your point. I meant Mount, Foden, Sancho, Bellingham, Rashford, Trent. R.James, Chilwel etc...

I would sneak Saka in there but i can't anymore :ph34r::(

Oh, as for young German playing with European top teams, while you couldn't think anyone but Musiala, Havertz is 22 years old.

2 minutes ago, shut up said:

Sorry totally forgot about Havertz! 

What i meant was you guys are at a different point of the cycle to england. I expect at the next world cup Germany will have one of the youngest squads at the tournament, but many too inexperienced to win it. While England will have a more experienced version of this squad!

That's very likely, I admit.

6 minutes ago, shut up said:

Sorry totally forgot about Havertz! 

What i meant was you guys are at a different point of the cycle to england. I expect at the next world cup Germany will have one of the youngest squads at the tournament, but many too inexperienced to win it. While England will have a more experienced version of this squad!

And they'll still fuck it up xD. Need a new manager by then.

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

But they haven’t conceded? How can one team have a great defence because they haven’t conceded, but the other is just lucky? That’s the double standard!

I know what you're saying and not trying to be awkward or pedantic.

Italy are famed for great defences and being notoriously hard to concede against. Up to yesterday they were sticking to that reputation because they were playing well and look incredibly organised. But at the same time they're actually playing good football for the most part and scoring at the other end.

Unless I've missed it (a possibility), I've not seen England called lucky. England have had a good defence but not really produced much elsewhere. 

Just now, Stan said:

I know what you're saying and not trying to be awkward or pedantic.

Italy are famed for great defences and being notoriously hard to concede against. Up to yesterday they were sticking to that reputation because they were playing well and look incredibly organised. But at the same time they're actually playing good football for the most part and scoring at the other end.

Unless I've missed it (a possibility), I've not seen England called lucky. England have had a good defence but not really produced much elsewhere. 

To be fair, they played in a group, that was arguably by far the worst one in this tournament. I'd even say the likes of North Macedonia and Hungary are better than Wales.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

To be fair, they played in a group, that was arguably by far the worst one in this tournament. I'd even say the likes of North Macedonia and Hungary are better than Wales.

They can only beat what it's front of them though. And they didn't just struggle past an easy group; they comprehensively beat those opponents and qualified with ease. 

Other opponents with 'easier' groups (on paper, perhaps) have scraped through - England being one of them and Spain perhaps another (barring the Slovakia result). 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, shut up said:

I feel like Czechia and Croatia are underrated tbh. People talk about them like they're chumps lol

I meant Scotland and Czech Republic more than Croatia. It was only a former Peruvian member who really didn't like Croatia based on last World Cup xD 

12 minutes ago, Stan said:

They can only beat what it's front of them though. And they didn't just struggle past an easy group; they comprehensively beat those opponents and qualified with ease. 

Other opponents with 'easier' groups (on paper, perhaps) have scraped through - England being one of them and Spain perhaps another (barring the Slovakia result). 

@shut up responded already regarding England, so I'll leave it with the comment to compare Turkey , Switzerland or Wales on one hand with Sweden and Poland on the other is an insult to the latter two.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

@shut up responded already regarding England, so I'll leave it with the comment to compare Turkey , Switzerland or Wales on one hand with Sweden and Poland on the other is an insult to the latter two.

Poland have hardly delivered though so I don't think that's an insult. In fact they were quite underwhelming and I expected more. 

Switzerland and Wales I'll give you.

2 hours ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Yes, I pointed this out yesterday in one of the threads. But not only did Italy probably have the easiest group, they also played at home in all their matches, where the other teams in their group had to travel to Baku to play their other group games. When Italy finally met a strong side on neutral territory(Wembley, London), we saw what happened. I'm not taking anything away from Italy's results, but some of the hype around them being the best team in the tournament a few days ago was clearly over the top. 

I said before the Austria match, that Italy would find the Austrians very tough opposition and indeed, it turned out to be a very challenging test for them. Having said that, I think Mancini has done an excellent job with the Italian national team and I think they are one of the strongest Italian sides I have seen in years. The team has a very good balance to it.

3 hours ago, Storts said:

I got a ticket for this now, half day at work confirmed, very much looking forward to it 

What? Where did you buy the ticket from? I checked for tickets for this game on the official Euro 2020 website, on the day they were supposed to be released and they got sold out in no time. Or did you buy your ticket via some place like viagogo and splash out £300 for the ticket? :SxD

• Subscriber
15 minutes ago, Michael said:

What? Where did you buy the ticket from? I checked for tickets for this game on the official Euro 2020 website, on the day they were supposed to be released and they got sold out in no time. Or did you buy your ticket via some place like viagogo and splash out £300 for the ticket? :SxD

I just got them from the official portal yeah, well my mate. Just had to time it right and get a bit lucky. Although have found generally if you’re persistent enough it is manageable 

Was cat 1 and £160 though anyway 

1 minute ago, Storts said:

I just got them from the official portal yeah, well my mate. Just had to time it right and get a bit lucky. Although have found generally if you’re persistent enough it is manageable 

Was cat 1 and £160 though anyway 

Ok, well you did very well there in my opinion. When I went on the official ticket portal, all I kept seeing was that all the tickets for this match were sold out. So I snapped up a ticket for the Sweden v Ukraine game instead, as they had tickets available. Both games should be exciting though, the knockout stages are usually entertaining one way or another. Enjoy the match mate! :twothumbsup::hh:

I'll probably be watching this England v Germany match somewhere in Glasgow. I'll try and find an English friendly pub. :ph34r:

• The title was changed to (Round of 16) - England 2-0 Germany - Tuesday 29th June, 2021
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived