• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(Round of 16) - England 2-0 Germany - Tuesday 29th June, 2021

football forum

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Not really. We've lost to North Macedonia not too long ago. Nobody was really expecting anything from this tournament. Italy, Spain or even Belgium would have made minced meat out of us. 

Tbh, I don't think many sane England fans are expecting anything from the tournament... they're just hear for the ride.

Considering that Germany's national team's history of sending us home from international tournaments (and look at that record in competitive tournaments, where you've been wiping the floor with us... and a lot of other countries xD... since 1966)... I don't think there's any surprise to see such a HUGE reaction that's positive after beating Germany in a competitive match for the first time in something ridiculous like 6 decades.

I do think it's funny how the "It's coming home" song, which is mostly sang as a laugh, really really seems to get under fans from other country's skins though. I don't understand that xD

18 minutes ago, Tommy said:

:ph34r:

I mean he has to be hated by everyone in the paddock, so this probably hasn't changed his image at all. 

Complete and utter twat.

Football fans are now coming together to give something back to the young girl.

"Weʼre raising £500 to show this little German supporter that not everyone in the UK is horrible," the page reads.

"England beat Germany in a major competition at last (well done)," the description starts.

"However, an element of social media piled in on this photo of an upset little girl. Pretty horrible - to put it mildly.

"Yes, there are more people affected by this than just this little girl but hey, this is just meant to be a token of goodwill. Yes there are other potential good causes - but I've picked this.

"I'd like to think that the parents of the little girl will spend this on a nice treat for her so that she knows that not everyone from the UK is horrible and that we care.

Read More - Summer transfer window: Who will move this summer?

"No, I don't think this will change the world. But it can do one thing for that little girl."

Hughes was hoping that the page will raise £500. That target has been smashed, with £5167 raised at the time of writing. Over 500 people have donated. 

On 01/07/2021 at 15:09, Eco said:

I'm not ignorant enough to think all English fans are twats, and we are just as bad, if not worse. 

That 'coming home' is awful though, self-deprecating or not, it's awful. 

The meanings been lost over the years. Tbf this tournament is the first time it's actually back to being right to sing it.

It was about football coming home - to England where it was invented for the 96 Euros - it was never about winning the tournament. Guess where we've been playing this year? xD If you can't sing it's coming home at Wembley it might as well be retired. It's nowhere near as bad as that 80s song the Danes sing. 

On 30/06/2021 at 20:59, Michael said:

I don't know about you guys, but I am absolutely loving these Euros. I think it's partly because the football has been entertaining as hell(especially these Round of 16 matches), but it's also probably because it has been a real outlet of relief after the shitty past year the world has experienced through lockdown and COVID. Lets hope the quarter finals are as enjoyable as this round that we have just witnessed. :twothumbsup:

Same here. But after the games in Hungary I watched this the other day and it made me really crave the full stadium atmosphere, especially for the final. This tournament deserves it.

https://youtu.be/-r111pTdaBU

• Subscriber

So apparently that crying German girl the nice people of the UK raised £36,000 for was tracked down and the family requested that the money be donated to UNICEF which is the right outcome all round. The whole thing was met with a lot of cynicism I found, but England fans successfully sent their well wishes to a young German girl and showed we're not all horrible, and a children's charity receives a bunch of money to put towards good causes. A lot of people were cry-arsing about why people were trying to send money to a German family when they could have put it towards good causes at home but it was pretty obvious this is what would end up happening if you have a shred of faith in humanity. I say good work all round.

5 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

So apparently that crying German girl the nice people of the UK raised £36,000 for was tracked down and the family requested that the money be donated to UNICEF which is the right outcome all round. The whole thing was met with a lot of cynicism I found, but England fans successfully sent their well wishes to a young German girl and showed we're not all horrible, and a children's charity receives a bunch of money to put towards good causes. A lot of people were cry-arsing about why people were trying to send money to a German family when they could have put it towards good causes at home but it was pretty obvious this is what would end up happening if you have a shred of faith in humanity. I say good work all round.

So what you're saying is that the moral of the story is if you want good things to happen in life you have to start by laughing at crying German girls

• Subscriber
54 minutes ago, Danny said:

So what you're saying is that the moral of the story is if you want good things to happen in life you have to start by laughing at crying German girls

xD Just imagine how upset that fella that got banned yesterday will be about the whole thing. 

On 02/07/2021 at 00:01, Stan said:

Forgive us for finally beating a 'top' nation in a knockout tournament for the first time in decades. 

We apologise for having some iota of confidence given how the rest of the tournament is shaping up and that there is a possible route to the final...

Top of what? Ukraine and Sweden? 

• Administrator
52 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Top of what? Ukraine and Sweden? 

Huh? 

Top nation as in a side that does regularly well at international tournaments and is very successful at winning them on occasions... 

Archived