(Round of 16) - England 2-0 Germany - Tuesday 29th June, 2021

football forum

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

Yeah I live in Bristol mate 

Nice. 

I have been there and went to the Rovers stadium the year AFTER they gained promotion from L3 maybe? It was years and years ago, but I got a signed BR jersey as my friend's daughter was dating Sean Riggs and Sean got the team to sign a jersey for me. 

I have very good memories of Bristol. 

Just been through the thread. Some of the shit written about SterlingxDhe was England's best player until Grealish came on.

'Get him off at half time' though...

Not a fan of Southgate at all but leaving someone like Grealish on the bench isn't such a biggy, especially when you have five subs. Cant really moan at that if you're an England fan but you'd like to see them be more entertaining against the sides they played in the group's and the teams they'll face in the quarters and the semi's

• The topic was unpinned
2 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Jordan Pickford has been the best goalkeeper this tournament. Change my mind.

Not sure - but he's having a good tournament. He really only had one save tonight on the Havertz shot, but really had nothing much to do tonight. I thought Neuer has a better game, but then again he has more chances to prove his limitless skill. 

• Subscriber

I feel real bad for Mueller. That just kinda summed up the day though.

Can't wait for Flick man. You need a goal for 15 mins and what do you do? Make an attacking sub after its 2-0 and there's 3 mins plus stoppage time left. Turn the goddamn page.

1 minute ago, Viva la FCB said:

I feel real bad for Mueller. That just kinda summed up the day though.

Can't wait for Flick man. You need a goal for 15 mins and what do you do? Make an attacking sub after its 2-0 and there's 3 mins plus stoppage time left. Turn the goddamn page.

Why on earth did he bring on Emre Can? He's the kind of player you bring on to defend a lead, not to come back from one. 

Not the greatest of games but I thought we were very disciplined. 

No one was beating Maguire today, he was absolutely inspired. Lead from the front. Brilliant.

Stones next to him was so confident and assured. Makes such a difference when he has that rock next to him. 

Let's not forget, Phillips and Rice went in at HT on a yellow card a piece and they both kept their composure and managed the 2nd half well enough without diving in and risking the 2nd yellow. Full credit to them. KP especially had a very good game.

It was a game of few chances, not the best for the neutral. Germany had one big chance and blew it. Other than that, you have to say we dealt with everything else fine and took the clear chances that came our way. What a difference Grealish makes off the bench. 

Played 4, conceded zero. That is the main stat here. We're not giving it on a plate to teams and we're boring our way through the tournament but as it stands, I don't think teams would want to play us. We look resolute.

It's getting scary...

Okay lets fucking talk about it

First the line up. When I saw that Goretzka had been brought in I automatically assumed that Kroos was out. I celebrated. When the line ups came up on TV I yelled at the TV. Come the fuck on. And look at what kroos did. Fuck all. 
I liked the inclusion of Werner, but hated that Hummels got to start another game. Beyond this, it's the best we've got. 

Germany looked way better on the ball in the first half, but had less than I'd have liked. Trippier played well, Philips and Rice could both have seen red, but I'm not sure either SHOULD have. Hummels played well first half but I was waiting for the fuck ups. 

Second half I was hoping for a bit more intensity, knowing we had been splitting the English defense enough that if we went up a gear and had more ball we'd win. For a short burst that was what happened. Then the first calamity occurred. 

Gnabry was brought on. Werner was taken off. 
It's a well known fact I loathe the little shit but he had been instrumental for the team. He had made dangerous runs in behind and stretched the defense. Muller had been MIA. What the fuck was Low thinking? I genuinely think the cunt has no clue what football even is and that Flick fucking CARRIED him to a WC victory. 

Then the second calamity. Sterling went un picked up in the box. The fanny runs like a fucking woman holding her purse and I hope he gets hit by 3 cars. Fuck Hummels. 

Then Muller. I'd have bet my life on him to score there. Fuck you. 

Hard to say deserved by England, but there's an old adage that war is 2 sides waiting for the other to fuck up. By being less adventurous England were able to be more critical mistake free. Kudos.  

18 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Not the greatest of games but I thought we were very disciplined. 

No one was beating Maguire today, he was absolutely inspired. Lead from the front. Brilliant.

Stones next to him was so confident and assured. Makes such a difference when he has that rock next to him. 

Let's not forget, Phillips and Rice went in at HT on a yellow card a piece and they both kept their composure and managed the 2nd half well enough without diving in and risking the 2nd yellow. Full credit to them. KP especially had a very good game.

It was a game of few chances, not the best for the neutral. Germany had one big chance and blew it. Other than that, you have to say we dealt with everything else fine and took the clear chances that came our way. What a difference Grealish makes off the bench. 

Played 4, conceded zero. That is the main stat here. We're not giving it on a plate to teams and we're boring our way through the tournament but as it stands, I don't think teams would want to play us. We look resolute.

It's getting scary...

Dont fall in to the trap that we have,  England have played their matches at home so far unlike other nations, England have looked comfortable ish like we did until we went out of our comfort zone.  Its just a bit of luck its Ukraine rather than Sweden who would've given England a better game at a neutral stadium. 

I managed to watch all of the 1st half and most of the 2nd half as they actually showed this match on the big screen inside Hampden Park. Sterling and Kane's goals were decisive. Kane's header sealed the win, but had Muller scored with his one on one chance, it could of been different for Germany. But it was a well deserved win for England, as they created several very dangerous chances. Congrats to England and commiserations to Germany.

Archived