talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(Round of 16) - England 2-0 Germany - Tuesday 29th June, 2021

football forum

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Mate you were pretty much wondering what use he would be and why there was a 'myth'? What myth?

Gotta be like Stevie fucking Wonder to not know what he could give on a football pitch xD 

The myth that he always turns up in the big games, the only big game he has ever played in was the Play Off Final xD 

Saying he has the ability to turn up and saying he’s made for the big moments when the only big moment he’s ever played in was in the Championship are two very different things

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Spike said:

hardly outclasses all night xD the first 70mins was some of the most boring stuff this tournament

I think this is the 4th or 5th time I've heard you say this.. 

Not a fan of this Euros then I take it? 

• Administrator
Just now, Danny said:

The myth that he always turns up in the big games, the only big game he has ever played in was the Play Off Final xD 

Saying he has the ability to turn up and saying he’s made for the big moments when the only big moment he’s ever played in was in the Championship are two very different things

So he's had no big games this season with Villa? Eh?

• Subscriber

I would love to get swept up in the joy of that result. To be fair, the defence have been excellent and Grealish was saved for the right moment. I'm not sure Kane scoring a header unmarked from 8 yards out proves us all dickheads for complaining about England playing with ten men for three matches and 85 minutes but hopefully that's lift off for him for the rest of the tournament.

I can't help but bring a slice of objectivity to the table. Germany were absolutely horrific there yet the game still came down to relatively fine margins. England now have two games that they should win to get to the Final then anything can happen. If they can win the next two games and use them to play themselves into a rhythm, there's a chance. If they perform like that against Belgium or Italy in the Final, I'm afraid they'll get swept aside. All that said, it would be very England to lose to Ukraine or Denmark before then so talk of the Final is premature.

Wow. That’s some win. I was thinking earlier about England at tournaments, besides beating Argentina 1-0 in the group stages in 2002, I can’t remember us beating a top nation in a major tournament. It’s quite strange, really. 

Just as the game was threatening to fizzle out, we score out of nothing and turn that game on its head, I had a feeling Southgate would have settled for extra time if another couple of minutes passed there. Massive crash back to earth in Muller dragging his shot wide. 

Southgate’s done a number on Germany there. Copped a shit load from the divs that come out for major tournaments but tactically he’s been pretty much spot on there today. The formation and set-up was outstanding really. There’s very few negatives, Kane, I suppose but he’s done his job there when it mattered, the control and ball out wide for the first and getting on the end of it for the second. Some very good performances in the likes of Sterling, Pickford, Maguire, Walker, Rice, Grealish and Phillips. 

Germany just weren’t very Germany, were they?

1 minute ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Kane shutting people up. That's why you keep players like him(and Sterling) on. All it takes is a moment of getting into the right place.

Both have been well worked goals. This team looks dangerous in those type of areas.

Great decision by Southgate to bring Grealish on too.

Honestly this has been the best chance I've ever known England of potentially reaching a final.

It's been a solid, professional performance in general.

I think the country is going to owe Man City a debt of gratitude if we win the Euro's with all the players we have here, Sterling, Foden, Kane, Stones, Grealish, Walker ^_^

Just now, Spike said:

the germany squad is weird, can someone tell me how stindl doesn’t get in over werner? how does inexperience like musiala get in over brandt or draxler 

@Tommy @nudge @Rucksackfranzose

I'm interject here a bit. 

I hate Draxler didn't get a call up, but he was sooo poor in France until Poch came along, but I'm guessing it wasn't enough for Lowe. 

Brandt doesn't blow my mind, so his absence doesn't surprise me. 

I'm more confused about how Arnold didn't get chance on this squad. He's had 2 great years with Wolfsburg and I feel like him and Havertz would do well together. 

Just now, Stan said:

So he's had no big games this season with Villa? Eh?

Comparable to a European Championship KO game against Germany? No Stan xD Villa finished 11th and got knocked out of both Cups early on, this is the first time he’s ever played in a game this big. And I still said he may well smash it, as in I wasn’t saying he wouldn’t 

Just now, Eco said:

I guess...? Germany has the talent to compete. I'm not sure who will score mind you, but they have a lot of talent in the side. It's not like their North Macedonia about to lose Pandev. :D

I agree, there is a lot of talent there. It's just that generally international coaches have more time to build a team, at least 2 years to prepare for the next big competition. Flick won't have that. 

5 minutes ago, Eco said:

Bye Bye Lowe. it's been....something. 

Tbf to him, even though he's massively lost his touch since around the last World Cup, I do think he deserves a lot of credit for what he's managed to do with the German national side in his career. Even as an assistant manager he did a lot to "revamp" the German national side... and they won 2 World Cups with him as Assistant Manager and Manager.

He's obviously his touch, but the man does get shat on a lot (probably because he does disgusting things like scratch his arsehole and then sniff his fingers/put them in his mouth) despite accomplishing a hell of a lot more than many international managers have ever accomplished.

• Administrator

Malen's miss.

Rodriguez penalty miss.

Muller's miss today.

Three huge moments in the games missed. Turning points in their games.

2 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I would love to get swept up in the joy of that result. To be fair, the defence have been excellent and Grealish was saved for the right moment. I'm not sure Kane scoring a header unmarked from 8 yards out proves us all dickheads for complaining about England playing with ten men for three matches and 85 minutes but hopefully that's lift off for him for the rest of the tournament.

I can't help but bring a slice of objectivity to the table. Germany were absolutely horrific there yet the game still came down to relatively fine margins. England now have two games that they should win to get to the Final then anything can happen. If they can win the next two games and use them to play themselves into a rhythm, there's a chance. If they perform like that against Belgium or Italy in the Final, I'm afraid they'll get swept aside. All that said, it would be very England to lose to Ukraine or Denmark before then so talk of the Final is premature.

I said it earlier somehow England keeps coming up against teams at their worst, it is quite shocking. Must have conslted a witch to curse the other teams

• The topic was unpinned

Archived