talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(Round of 16) - England 2-0 Germany - Tuesday 29th June, 2021

football forum

29 minutes ago, Panna King said:

Dont fall in to the trap that we have,  England have played their matches at home so far unlike other nations, England have looked comfortable ish like we did until we went out of our comfort zone.  Its just a bit of luck its Ukraine rather than Sweden who would've given England a better game at a neutral stadium. 

What makes you think Sweden would give England a harder game than Ukraine? Ukraine were well worth their victory over Sweden today and Ukraine had a couple of important players out injured and their key midfielder could only come on late in the game, yet Ukraine statistically had more possession in both halves and in extra time. Their passing was better and they scored two beautiful goals, while the goal they conceded was a deflected effort. Sure Sweden had their chances, but Ukraine had dangerous chances as well, in fact they had more chances to score. Ukraine deservedly beat Sweden both result wise and on the balance of play.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Michael said:

What makes you think Sweden would give England a harder game than Ukraine? Ukraine were well worth their victory over Sweden today and Ukraine had a couple of important players out injured and their key midfielder could only come on late in the game, yet Ukraine statistically had more possession in both halves and in extra time. Their passing was better and they scored two beautiful goals, while the goal they conceded was a deflected effort. Sure Sweden had their chances, but Ukraine had dangerous chances as well, in fact they had more chances to score. Ukraine deservedly beat Sweden both result wise and on the balance of play.

Just the style they play,  i think on their day Sweden would give England a harder game. 

2 minutes ago, Panna King said:

Just the style they play,  i think on their day Sweden would give England a harder game. 

Yeah, well that is now debatable. Sweden have been a more defensive side than Ukraine in recent times, which makes them very hard to break down. But with some of the creativity England have, I think they could score past any team in this tournament. England seem to pick the right moments to score, I think that they have become a very effective side. However, if Ukraine field a more defensive side, they become more solid as well. Ukraine did exactly that today, they had more ball winning players in their side and it actually proved very successful. It gave them more solidity, whilst still allowing the creative players to create chances. I am pretty sure Shevchenko will stick to the back 3 he used today, for the upcoming England match. The 4-3-3 they used in the group matches, for the most part allowed them to attack and create chances freely, but it left their defence a little vulnerable as well. The 3-5-2 that they used today, actually worked better. So my point being, is that Ukraine have just significantly changed their style of play. 

Moreover, I'd argue that Ukraine have the better creative talent than Sweden. Forsberg and Isak are class acts, top level players. But Ukraine also have the likes of Zinchenko, Malinovskyi, Yarmolenko, Yaremchuk and Shaparenko(he is definitely going to have clubs lining up to sign him after this tournament), not to mention Tsygankov and Zubkov, when they are fit. As it stands right now, I think Ukraine will give England a tougher game than Sweden could in my opinion.

6 hours ago, Panna King said:

Dont fall in to the trap that we have,  England have played their matches at home so far unlike other nations, England have looked comfortable ish like we did until we went out of our comfort zone.  Its just a bit of luck its Ukraine rather than Sweden who would've given England a better game at a neutral stadium. 

I did think watching that tight game that England looked like the home team in the first half, bar the first 10 minutes. Germany were considerably worse than expected. England looked comfortable and in control but not punishing. I thought Germany having largely dominated France and Portgual would do the same here but they never really got hold of the game.

8 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Okay lets fucking talk about it

First the line up. When I saw that Goretzka had been brought in I automatically assumed that Kroos was out. I celebrated. When the line ups came up on TV I yelled at the TV. Come the fuck on. And look at what kroos did. Fuck all. 
I liked the inclusion of Werner, but hated that Hummels got to start another game. Beyond this, it's the best we've got. 

Germany looked way better on the ball in the first half, but had less than I'd have liked. Trippier played well, Philips and Rice could both have seen red, but I'm not sure either SHOULD have. Hummels played well first half but I was waiting for the fuck ups. 

Second half I was hoping for a bit more intensity, knowing we had been splitting the English defense enough that if we went up a gear and had more ball we'd win. For a short burst that was what happened. Then the first calamity occurred. 

Gnabry was brought on. Werner was taken off. 
It's a well known fact I loathe the little shit but he had been instrumental for the team. He had made dangerous runs in behind and stretched the defense. Muller had been MIA. What the fuck was Low thinking? I genuinely think the cunt has no clue what football even is and that Flick fucking CARRIED him to a WC victory. 

Then the second calamity. Sterling went un picked up in the box. The fanny runs like a fucking woman holding her purse and I hope he gets hit by 3 cars. Fuck Hummels. 

Then Muller. I'd have bet my life on him to score there. Fuck you. 

Hard to say deserved by England, but there's an old adage that war is 2 sides waiting for the other to fuck up. By being less adventurous England were able to be more critical mistake free. Kudos.  

What's with the Hummels hate? Yesterday could have been much more embarrassing if it wasn't for him. 

33 minutes ago, Devil said:

I thought Hummels was easily Germany's best player yesterday. 

I would have said Havertz. He laid on two great assists for Werner and Muller and always looked a threat in that area between our midfield and defence. I think you can see his confidence building now, could be one to watch next season for Chelsea.

But just on Hummels, he had a really decent game definitely. That clearance first half when Kane looked like he was tapping in was class and the amount of headers he won in the box was impressive. I think to blame him would just be making him a scapegoat.

If anything for me, the other two back there looked dodgy. Rudiger was an accident waiting to happen all game against Saka, and I think Ginter getting carded put him on the back foot for the majority of the game too. Both goals came from his side.

I actually think the German midfield were massive let downs. Phillips and Rice were supurb against Kroos and Goretzka given the experience/stature of the latter two, really got in their faces and I'm not sure they quite dealt with that intensity and having so little time on the ball.

As for all the talk of Kimmich and Gosens being big dangers from wide, well that was like a damp squib. We never really saw them affect the game in a big way at all. Our full backs shut them down well.

Muller, aside from the big chance missed, was a passenger. I forgot he was on the pitch till he went through to be blunt, and he's usually been a thorn in our side. At least Werner's runs always kept our centre backs on their toes and at times, stretched us a little but there was nothing from Muller. The creativity was only coming from Havertz.

That's where I'd personally criticise the Germans. 

Germany were piss poor in their play,  their strength against Portugal was from the wing backs but they didnt do anything yesterday, instead Germany were trying to play Werner in all the time who is just dog shit. Germany also have no creativity in midfield, its a good job Kroos has retired from international football, he just looks very slow and robotic now.       

A lot of differing views on here, but I personally thought it was another cracking game. Both sides had their chances to score, but England took 2 of theirs and deservedly advance. From memory, Werner, Havertz and of course Muller had dangerous scoring chances for Germany, but Pickford was equal to the first two efforts, while Muller of course put his shot past the post. England also created dangerous chances prior to their goals. Sterling's swerving effort forced Neuer to make a top save, while Hummels rescued Germany's arse with his brilliant last ditch tackle/clearance from Kane, who was about to knock the ball past Neuer. Maguire should also have done much better with his free header in the first half. All in all, England deserved their win and move on to the quarter finals. 

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Mullers miss has took heat of Werner for his one on one miss.

Muller's was much easier and was huge in the context of the game. Deserves that heat. 

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Michael said:

WTF why is he seemingly cheering for England? xD Well it looks like he is really enjoying himself, I suppose that's all that really matters.:hh:

It's not him. Just a decent lookalike!

16 minutes ago, Michael said:

WTF why is he seemingly cheering for England? xD Well it looks like he is really enjoying himself, I suppose that's all that really matters.:hh:

Yeah like he goes around in his Liverpool gear all time xD

I don't know about you guys, but I am absolutely loving these Euros. I think it's partly because the football has been entertaining as hell(especially these Round of 16 matches), but it's also probably because it has been a real outlet of relief after the shitty past year the world has experienced through lockdown and COVID. Lets hope the quarter finals are as enjoyable as this round that we have just witnessed. :twothumbsup:

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, Michael said:

I don't know about you guys, but I am absolutely loving these Euros. I think it's partly because the football has been entertaining as hell(especially these Round of 16 matches), but it's also probably because it has been a real outlet of relief after the shitty past year the world has experienced through lockdown and COVID. Lets hope the quarter finals are as enjoyable as this round that we have just witnessed. :twothumbsup:

Hell yes.

Group stage was a little warm-up.

Round of 16 it has burst in to life and has been a contrast of excitement compared to the mundane WFH life most of us had adapted to. 

It's been great so far and long may it continue.

42 minutes ago, Michael said:

Well done for your team @Michael I'm sorry we will have to end the journey on Saturday night. :D

27 minutes ago, Stan said:

Hell yes.

Group stage was a little warm-up.

Round of 16 it has burst in to life and has been a contrast of excitement compared to the mundane WFH life most of us had adapted to. 

It's been great so far and long may it continue.

This round of 16 has been something else, the drama has been unbelievable. 

Even last nights game between Sweden vs Ukraine, it had a last minute winner and there was a period I didn't think we'd finish with full teams that many players were going down with exhaustion. Totally bizarre but kind of kept me gripped to it. 

13 minutes ago, Panna King said:

I think it has been crap for some countries this Euros and it has only favoured England so far. 

I did wonder when people would start saying this. I actually agree the tournament has been badly planned, yes it's falling into England's favour but I've got to be honest at this moment I don't care as long as we do well. 

Even the fact Denmark vs Czech is in Baku, if we did get past Ukraine they'd have that long trip back including time difference and a match in over 30 degree heat to contend with. 

Just totally unfair. 

Archived