• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(Round of 16) - England 2-0 Germany - Tuesday 29th June, 2021

football forum

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

I'm not saying I'm offended (I don't think anyone else did either) but I do find those tweets thoroughly embarrassing as a British person. That said, that's clearly what the person who collated them intended. It's not like they've picked four completely random tweets and fallen upon those because they were all like that.

People are cunts, and yes that proportion probably increases in boozed up England fans who have just beaten Germany after being fed a lifetime of weird World War related rhetoric that's for some reason joined at the hip to the footballing rivalry between the two countries on our end. But a few fools on social media laughing at a crying child aren't worth anyone's time, and on the other side people grumpy about their team losing pointing out that it's embarrassing behaviour (which it is) aren't necessarily easily offended.

That seems naive.

All I see is some people who have had sour grapes.

Oh boy those meanie English mocking a crying girl. What a vile nation they must be. Who cares about Twitter trolls or German-hating drunks looking for reactions. Anyone spreading those tweets wants people to think those represent all English people, and that will make them feel better as they can't handle a loss.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Machado said:

That seems naive.

All I see is some people who have had sour grapes.

Oh boy those meanie English mocking a crying girl. What a vile nation they must be. Who cares about Twitter trolls or German-hating drunks looking for reactions. Anyone spreading those tweets wants people to think those represent all English people, and that will make them feel better as they can't handle a loss.

I don't know why you're quoting me seemingly disagreeing with me by repeating things that I literally said in that post:

15 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

I'm not saying I'm offended (I don't think anyone else did either) but I do find those tweets thoroughly embarrassing as a British person. That said, that's clearly what the person who collated them intended. It's not like they've picked four completely random tweets and fallen upon those because they were all like that.

People are cunts, and yes that proportion probably increases in boozed up England fans who have just beaten Germany after being fed a lifetime of weird World War related rhetoric that's for some reason joined at the hip to the footballing rivalry between the two countries on our end. But a few fools on social media laughing at a crying child aren't worth anyone's time, and on the other side people grumpy about their team losing pointing out that it's embarrassing behaviour (which it is) aren't necessarily easily offended.

This whole thread of discussion here is ridiculous. Like who actually cares? I just don't see how after a page or more of people getting triggered by Tommy's dumb, meaningless post, it's those same people who are talking about others being too easily offended and suggesting that those looking for a reaction online are best ignored. Two sides of the same coin arguing with each other and little more. Zzzzzz.

• Subscriber

I also think people missed the point that the collage of those Twitter posts that @Tommy posted is a meme itself. It literally says "Tell me you're a son of a bitch without telling me you're a son of a bitch" on the top xD

16 hours ago, Tommy said:

Maybe I'm just wired differently. Wouldn't take joy out of an English kid crying if it was the other way around. I felt sorry for the Brazilian kid at the 7-1. :what:

This - I almost feel bad for the girl. You'd think people would have more sense than to cheer when they see a little girl crying. 

18 hours ago, Stan said:

Fucking love this. 

The split-second of the hush of the crowd, then the synonymous roar as the header from Kane hits the back of the net.

Bliss.

Brilliant how Gareth went from buzzing fan to a split second later thinking act cool the cameras are watching me. 

I  really don't understand this 'inject this' saying I keep here. Such an odd fucking way to express a way to enjoy the moment. xD

Between 'It's Coming Home', and 'Inject This', it's not hard to cheer against England. :ay:

5 minutes ago, Eco said:

I  really don't understand this 'inject this' saying I keep here. Such an odd fucking way to express a way to enjoy the moment. xD

Between 'It's Coming Home', and 'Inject This', it's not hard to cheer against England. :ay:

Spot on. I really don't have anything against any country in the world, but the English national team fan culture is super cringy. Also at the beginning they were all moaning and arguing about Southgate's lineups, and now they celebrate him like he's Jesus re-born and like nothing in the world could stop their national team. That'd make it super funny if Ukraine beats them on Saturday. xD

Just now, Tommy said:

Spot on. I really don't have anything against any country in the world, but the English football fan culture is super cringy. Also at the beginning they were all moaning and arguing about Southgate's lineups, and now they celebrate him like he's Jesus re-born and like nothing in the world could stop their national team. That'd make it super funny if Ukraine beats them on Saturday. xD

I can't really complain too much. We (Americans) are known world wide for being 'cringe' and awful tourists and travelers, so I speak more from experience than anything. 

The amount of times I'm buried my head overseas because a fellow Yank was being an ass is shocking. 

Just now, Eco said:

I can't really complain too much. We (Americans) are known world wide for being 'cringe' and awful tourists and travelers, so I speak more from experience than anything. 

The amount of times I'm buried my head overseas because a fellow Yank was being an ass is shocking. 

At least you're not the one who has that issue, when visiting the coastal areas of Spain. :ph34r:

Just now, Michael said:

At least you're not the one who has that issue, when visiting the coastal areas of Spain. :ph34r:

I've actually never been to Spain. 

But I try to be a good ambassador for both my nationality and my family name. But I'm sure I have done some dumb things while living and traveling overseas. 

1 minute ago, Michael said:

I'm trying to picture Boris, sat next to a group of hard core England fans at Wembley when England play. :35_thinking:xD

Imagine the disappointment on the Croatian's president if she had to sit beside him, whereas she sat beside Macron in the World Cup. xD

Yes, I know Croatia is out and I'm not sure the woman is still the president, but still, talk about a disappointment. 

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Michael said:

I'm currently in Spain, and the fact that the UK still considers it an "amber" country is a sigh of relief for those of us who don't want to experience more of the British chavs abroad 😂

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Spot on. I really don't have anything against any country in the world, but the English national team fan culture is super cringy. Also at the beginning they were all moaning and arguing about Southgate's lineups, and now they celebrate him like he's Jesus re-born and like nothing in the world could stop their national team. That'd make it super funny if Ukraine beats them on Saturday. xD

Forgive us for finally beating a 'top' nation in a knockout tournament for the first time in decades. 

We apologise for having some iota of confidence given how the rest of the tournament is shaping up and that there is a possible route to the final...

• Subscriber

There is definitely an element of our fanbase, especially the boozey match-goers, who are a bit cringe and embarrassing. It's sad to see that nobody outside the UK understands that "It's Coming Home" has become a self-deprecating meme over the past 20 years. It's literally (most) England fans' way of laughing at ourselves.

2 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

There is definitely an element of our fanbase, especially the boozey match-goers, who are a bit cringe and embarrassing. It's sad to see that nobody outside the UK understands that "It's Coming Home" has become a self-deprecating meme over the past 20 years. It's literally (most) England fans' way of laughing at ourselves.

I'm not ignorant enough to think all English fans are twats, and we are just as bad, if not worse. 

That 'coming home' is awful though, self-deprecating or not, it's awful. 

Nothing wrong with having a drink and enjoying yourself it's the idiots that end up fighting that ruin it for everyone. 

But lets be clear it's not only a problem for the English, there are other nations equally if not worse than ours. 

32 minutes ago, Eco said:

I'm not ignorant enough to think all English fans are twats, and we are just as bad, if not worse. 

That 'coming home' is awful though, self-deprecating or not, it's awful. 

It's genuinely one of the best football songs written imo, the writing of it wasn't that we were actually going to win anything, it was just mainly to highlight the constant hope we have of one day achieving success whilst continuously being shit or falling at one of the last hurdles. That we created this sport that spread round the globe like wildfire and yet have been continuously showed up at it, you listen to the German players and they wanted to play this game at Wembley in front of fans because of the sense of history behind the fixture, playing at the home of English football, where the sport began. The song ties into that history of the game bit also the realism of English football, it only ever sounds unrealistic to sing when we have come close to winning something (i.e. a semi final at the world cup, or now).

Plus the bunch of kuntz bit is a funny gag

1 minute ago, Danny said:

What don't you like about it? I don't know if it will help you but it was written by two comedians xD

I just don't think it's all that great, but you said 'Best Football Songs', and there are clubs like Union Berlin and Koln who have some of the greatest football songs, and it seems absurd to put 'It's Coming Home' on their level. 

1 hour ago, shut up said:

But i imagine most germans would have themselves favourites if they won on Saturday...

Not really. We've lost to North Macedonia not too long ago. Nobody was really expecting anything from this tournament. Italy, Spain or even Belgium would have made minced meat out of us. 

Archived