talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Nuno Santo Sacked By Spurs; Antonio Conte Hired

• Subscriber

Antonio Conte 'to be given £150MILLION transfer war chest by Tottenham' with former Chelsea manager set to succeed sacked Nuno Espirito Santo

Antonio Conte will reportedly be given a £150m transfer war chest to turn things around at Tottenham.  

Conte is on the verge of becoming the new Spurs manager after the sacking of Nuno Espirito Santo.

As MailOnline exclusively revealed on Monday morning, Nuno was axed as Spurs head coach, the club confirming the Portuguese’s departure news just before 10am.

The club’s increasingly influential director of football Fabio Paratici has moved quickly to identify Nuno’s replacement with a deal in principle agreed for former Chelsea boss Conte.

It is understood Conte, who has a long-term relationship with Paratici, has been offered an 18 month contract with a pro-rata salary of around £13million, taking his overall earnings across the initial contract to close to £20m.

And he will be backed heavily in the transfer market, according to The Sun.  

Tottenham did not make any big signings in the summer but did manage to keep hold if Harry Kane. 

Their season has not gone to plan at all and they currently sit ninth after five defeats in their first 10 games

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10154975/Antonio-Conte-given-150m-spend-Tottenham-former-Chelsea-manager-set-over.html

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Storts said:

He joins tomorrow. First game will be Everton away 

No I meant first home game mate.

Late Sunday Sky kick off, can imagine the stadium will be bouncing for him. Not ideal for us.

Seen it reported several times that he wants Vlahovic - not sure if this would be as a partner to Kane or a replacement. 

Seeing as you'd almost certainly want Son as part of a strike partnership, I guess it would make sense to offload Kane for what you can get and rebuild with Vlahovic-Son as a kind of Lukaku-Martinez equivalent. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Lucas said:

No I meant first home game mate.

Late Sunday Sky kick off, can imagine the stadium will be bouncing for him. Not ideal for us.

First home game will be Thursday against Vitesse 

But yes I’d have thought so people are buzzing 

• The title was changed to Nuno Santo Sacked By Spurs; Antonio Conte Hired
  • Subscriber
1 minute ago, Inverted said:

Unbelievable coup for Spurs. I guess the clock is ticking until the inevitable relationship meltdown between Levy and Conte, but it will definitely be interesting to see what he can do until then.

He could have ended up at United if Ole had got the bullet after the Liverpool game, sigh. 

Landing Conte for an 18 month deal with an option to extend is almost too good to be true. I've stated this several times, but on a coaching element Conte is the best we've ever had. He's among the Peps and Klopps of world football. The way he improves players to abide to a cohesive system is remarkable and the very reason we won the title in 2017. 

However, as a manager, there is a lot left to be desired. His transfer decisions are border line terrible. He should not be given full reign in the market, and I doubt Levy/Spurs will let him which is where I will see the first conflict arise. He is also incredibly reactive when it comes to big games, which is why he has an abysmal record in Europe. His football is also very conservative in the matter of not allowing his players to press, which is where I can see another issue as the Top 3 clubs along with several others have now either mastered or adapted the pressing game. This alone retired Mourinho in the Premier League. The Spurs players had to deal with Mourinho and Nuno's negativity, I wonder how they will react if Conte starts going that route when things start to turn sour as it did with us his second season. 

All in all, I am absolutely delighted to see him back in the Premier League even if it is at a rival club. He'll get a great welcome back from the home fans when Spurs come to the Bridge. 

I think Conte going into Spurs is a lot different that going to Chelsea and their enormous budget. I wouldn’t have thought that Levy of all people would promise Conte funds that aren’t there. He didn’t invest big for Poch, and he didn’t invest big for Mourinho. I don’t think he is going to start to all of a sudden break the business model that he has had in place for 20 years. Conte knows what he has to work with, knows the budget isn’t that of Chelsea and maybe that’s the reason for the short deal. Test the water first, see how they work together and if it doesn’t pay off it’s an easy split. 

One thing is for sure, Conte will not put up with Kane acting like a big baby. He will either be sold or he will have a boot up his arse. There’s no way we continue to see this level of disinterest once Conte starts coaching. 

8 minutes ago, shut up said:

Yeah, that's what I was inferring in the above post

I think it was Levy who decided on the 18 month deal, given Conte's past tenures with us and Inter and falling out with both boards. Mourinho's sacking was very expensive. 

Much like Tuchel with us, it'll be a probation period. 

4 minutes ago, shut up said:

Yes, cos he knows the funds aren't there, and therefore he probably anticipates Conte being difficult if he doesn't get the transfers he wants

That's a myth. Spurs have spent £265 Million the past three seasons. 

The funds are there, the conflict will arise when Levy doesn't want to spend obscene amounts of money for Conte's short term vision. 

• Subscriber
42 minutes ago, shut up said:

I think these two are probably linked. I'm surprised people aren't talking more about why it's only an 18 month deal. I think the answer is pretty obvious 

It’s 18 months with Spurs having an option to extend. Very sensible. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Cicero said:

That's a myth. Spurs have spent £265 Million the past three seasons. 

Correct. We have money. We are like the 8th richest club in the world or whatever it is. We struggled and didn’t invest under Poch which cost us. But the problem is we’ve spent money really badly since. Have had no return on it 

1 minute ago, shut up said:

That's what I meant. Levy aint giving Conte the players he wants, let's be real here. Of course spurs will be active in every window and will buy players every window, but they won't be players at the top of Conte's shopping list.

That's why it's an 18 month deal imo

I think Conte has to get backed tbh.

Levy fucked up, imo, not selling Kane and thinking he would have the same motivation to play for Spurs. And now I think Kane will never go for as much as he would have this summer.

Only way for Kane to be worth a lot to Spurs or anyone else is for Spurs to match Kane’s ambition ASAP.

Also if Mourinho and Conte both fail at Spurs… I don’t know how long it’ll before they can ever get a high pedigree manager in again. Might have to be Levy managing the side after that.

I think it’s an 18 month deal because Conte’s famously difficult to work with, like Mourinho, and Mourinho was very expensive for them to sack.

I am sure that sooner or later they will clash. But I could see it being in Conte’s second contract with Spurs in the future.

5 minutes ago, shut up said:

Youve contradicted yourself here? Are the funds there for Conte or not? 

They are. But as everyone has alluded to, it is about sensible spending.

For example. In 2017, Conte wanted to spend an approximate £150 million on a then 32 year old Fernando Llorente, a 30 year old Candreva, a 30 year old Bonucci, a 30 year old Vidal, and a 29 year old Nainggolan. Who all demanded long term contracts well worth over £100Kpw each. 

That was the first conflict that arise. Conte then threw an absolute tantrum when he wanted unrealistic targets like Kyle Walker and Van Dijk. The former was an impossibility and the latter simply chose Liverpool over us. 

He then also preferred Bakayoko over Fabinho (which was absolutely bonkers) and initiated the moves for Drinkwater, Zappacosta, Barkley, and Drinkwater. His only good signing was Rudiger. 

5 minutes ago, shut up said:

That's what I meant. Levy aint giving Conte the players he wants, let's be real here.

Because that would be insane. 

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Cicero said:

He then also preferred Bakayoko over Fabinho (which was absolutely bonkers) and initiated the moves for Drinkwater, Zappacosta, Barkley, and Drinkwater. His only good signing was Rudiger. 

He failed really badly if he signed Drinkwater twice. 

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Cicero said:

He may as well have for 30 million. His market value at the time wasn't even 10 million. 

They were just the extra funds we should have got for Kante. 

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think Conte has to get backed tbh.

Levy fucked up, imo, not selling Kane and thinking he would have the same motivation to play for Spurs. And now I think Kane will never go for as much as he would have this summer.

Only way for Kane to be worth a lot to Spurs or anyone else is for Spurs to match Kane’s ambition ASAP.

Also if Mourinho and Conte both fail at Spurs… I don’t know how long it’ll before they can ever get a high pedigree manager in again. Might have to be Levy managing the side after that.

I think it’s an 18 month deal because Conte’s famously difficult to work with, like Mourinho, and Mourinho was very expensive for them to sack.

I am sure that sooner or later they will clash. But I could see it being in Conte’s second contract with Spurs in the future.

The Kane argument is stupid. 

We didn’t want to or need to sell.

We never got any offer even close to something we might consider

Hes one of the best strikers in the world and irreplaceable to us.

We have a world class manager now who I’m sure Kane is excited to play for, and is showing some ambition again. 

Levy did the right thing keeping him 

16 minutes ago, Storts said:

People forgetting we have Paratici now too. Him and Conte will work together on transfers. Levy’s stepped aside on that front 

Wasnt the generic inside scoop in the summer (that The Athletic no doubt turned in to a 15000 word essay) that Paratici convinced Levy that Nuno could bring back the brand of football Daniel Levy associated with 'Tottenham DNA'?

I'd be optimistic but I wouldn't be cutting shapes in the office over the thought of that transfer committe.

Archived