talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Nuno Santo Sacked By Spurs; Antonio Conte Hired

• Subscriber
17 minutes ago, Storts said:

People forgetting we have Paratici now too. Him and Conte will work together on transfers. Levy’s stepped aside on that front 

Tottenham: Why the bond between workaholics Antonio Conte and Fabio Paratici can breathe life into Spurs

Antonio Conte and Fabio Paratici have been here before.

When Conte was taking his first steps in top-level management as the new Juventus coach in May 2011, he found the club looking on at the success of others following two successive seventh-place finishes in Serie A.

As sporting director in Turin, Paratici had appointed Conte to jolt Juventus back to life to get them competing for major titles again as they rebuilt following the Calciopoli match-fixing scandal.

Working together, and alongside general manager Beppe Moratta, Conte and Paratici led Juventus to their first Italian title in nine years and then another two in the two following seasons.

Few expect such a flurry of silverware at Tottenham, but the task at hand is certainly one they have faced and overcome in the past.

The two men wear their heart on their sleeve. Conte is famed for bounding around on the touchline in a frenzy of passion and rage and Paratici is hardly a silent observer on the sidelines at Spurs, often seen leaping from his seat behind the home bench.

Their passion for their work may often lead to clashes but their workaholic nature fires the relationship.

Paratici’s phone is never off and the Spurs director has previously arranged meetings in deserted restaurants to sign players at 1am.

Similarly, Conte is happy to put his players through video sessions which run beyond two hours and revealed in an interview during his time as Chelsea manager that he was considering asking for a bed to be installed at the club’s training ground so he could stay over after long sessions at work.

Conte should find Tottenham’s Spurs Lodge rather welcoming in that sense.

The 52-year-old was Paratici’s primary target when he took up his role at Spurs in the summer, but with his friend’s foot only just in the door and Harry Kane looking to be on his way out of it, Conte went cold on the idea ofTottenham.

Now, with Kane still in place and Paratici able to give Conte the lowdown on the Tottenham squad and tell him exactly where the faults are, just as he did in Turin, it feels like the perfect storm.

Paratici once said he did not want to think of a Juventus without Conte, Tottenham fans will be hoping the Italian can have a similar impact at their club.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/tottenham-antonio-conte-fabio-paratici-can-breathe-life-into-spurs-b963832.html

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
Just now, The Palace Fan said:

Wasnt the generic inside scoop in the summer (that The Athletic no doubt turned in to a 15000 word essay) that Paratici convinced Levy that Nuno could bring back the brand of football Daniel Levy associated with 'Tottenham DNA'?

I'd be optimistic but I wouldn't be cutting shapes in the office over the thought of that transfer committe.

Yeah - Levy was ready to hire Fonseca. Cause levy did understand the fans wanted attacking football. But then Paratici came in and wanted someone more defensive - so vouched got Nuno and his Valencia team. 

But think in the transfer market much happier to have Paratici than levy dealing with things 

Just now, Storts said:

The Kane argument is stupid. 

We didn’t want to or need to sell.

We never got any offer even close to something we might consider

Hes one of the best strikers in the world and irreplaceable to us.

We have a world class manager now who I’m sure Kane is excited to play for, and is showing some ambition again. 

Levy did the right thing keeping him 

I dunno, I think it was always going to be 50-50 with a want-away striker. When Suarez wanted away from us, he put in one of the most impressive seasons a player has ever given this league to get a big move away from us to Barcelona. It helped us and it helped him - and with Kane he'd be even more likely to stay if he could have a season where his impact was like what Suarez was on us that season. It would show the club could match his ambition.

But you always run the risk of a want away player downing tools, and you might disagree, but every time I've seen Kane this season he's looked like a man who doesn't want to be on the pitch at all. No desire or fight in him. The service he's had has been poor, but he's also been poor in his own right.

I agree he's one of the best strikers in the world. I don't agree that he's irreplaceable. No player is bigger than their club - and if it ever gets to that point, that club has a problem. I thought we wouldn't be able to replace Coutinho - and in a sense, we didn't really replace him - our midfield changed, but we were better off for it.

I fully understand wanting to keep a homegrown talisman. But I'm not sure Kane's value will ever be higher than it was that Summer. And the only way to protect his value (and maybe change his mind and make him want to stay) is for the club to match his ambition so he starts playing like the player he is.

If the plan was always to keep Kane rather than sell him, they should have appointed Conte over the summer and given him a warchest to work with to be able to compete at the top level in at least a season. If the plan was to fart around and rebuild for the next couple of seasons, there was always the risk of Kane looking like he wouldn't give a fuck. It's just about the last bit of leverage he really has in order to get a move (but risky in that it might make top sides not want him).

Getting caught in between both mindsets is what led to this situation - and it's been costly for Spurs and detrimental to how this season could have panned out for the club. And Conte missed out on a transfer window to shape the squad to fit his vision.

The silver lining is of course the season is still young and now you've got a world class manager. But it would have been cheaper in the long run to have just done this all much earlier instead of farting around looking at your billionth choice for manager and hoping that would show Kane sufficient ambition that he'd want to stay... because I don't think that sent the message to him (or the rest of the squad) that Spurs were looking to compete here and now.

But I guess at least Levy worked to correct his mistakes. Next step is giving Conte the backing to shape the squad in a way where he can get them competing.

3 hours ago, Waylander said:

I think the December window will be very interesting for both Spurs and Kane.

If Kane goes to Man City say for £80m does Conte get £230m?

Spurs do not sell Kane for £80m when they have him on a 3 year deal, definitely not when you throw Conte into that too 

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Inverted said:

A rejuvenated Kane is a win-win for everyone. He gives Spurs half a season of good performances, and then Spurs can maybe let him go in the summer for a good fee.

What is this obsession with us selling Kane. It’s madness. We dont want to or need to. 

39 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Tuchel. Klopp. Guardiola. Conte.

Arguably the 4 best managers in the world right now are in the Premier League and not one of them is at Man United. 

It’s pretty bizarre, but incredible for the league.

1 minute ago, Storts said:

Who cares? Irrelevant really with two and a half years left on his deal. 

Should sell and get Vlahovic from Fiorentina. Already proving he isn't like the one season wonders we saw with Belotti and Piatek. 

58 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Tuchel. Klopp. Guardiola. Conte.

Arguably the 4 best managers in the world right now are in the Premier League and not one of them is at Man United. 

But Man United can't have a good manager, because of the United Way(tm). 

Historically, United have only done well when they put their absolute faith in mediocre managers - like Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Matt Busby, and Alex Ferguson. 

13 minutes ago, Danny said:

Surely you don't sell Kane to bring in a striker that scores half/ 2 thirds the goals and doesn't get any assists?

Ok. In the hypothetical Kane is sold and Spurs need a ST, who would you bring in? 

52 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Ok. In the hypothetical Kane is sold and Spurs need a ST, who would you bring in? 

I always thought Jimenez would be great there personally.

I was waiting for him to be linked if Kane went and Nuno had his way.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Cicero said:

1 hour ago, Danny said:

But the original post wasn't hypothetical xD It was "should sell"

But @Cicero's was. Hence the question...

Archived