• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool 4-0 Arsenal - Saturday 20th November, 2021

football forums

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

You could see the mental scarring in Arsenal during the second half. All the half decent stuff they did in the first half was out the window and they seemingly had no idea how to respond to going a goal down. Still a decent chance they could get 4th because Man Utd are wasting this season constantly deciding whether or not to sack their dreadful manager, Leicester have made the inevitable step back from the elite teams, Spurs are meh and West Ham under Moyes will presumably not allow themselves to finish in the top four.

15 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

You could see the mental scarring in Arsenal during the second half. All the half decent stuff they did in the first half was out the window and they seemingly had no idea how to respond to going a goal down. Still a decent chance they could get 4th because Man Utd are wasting this season constantly deciding whether or not to sack their dreadful manager, Leicester have made the inevitable step back from the elite teams, Spurs are meh and West Ham under Moyes will presumably not allow themselves to finish in the top four.

Perhaps it because I was always a bit shit at FM… but what’s Arteta (or any manager) meant to do when mentality gets in the way of what was a decent first half performance?

I actually don’t think Arteta is tactically to blame, maybe playing out the back against us is stupid… but other teams, granted very good ones like City and Chelsea, can do it and Arsenal have aspirations to be at the top again. But it’s not like Arteta’s tactics forced their left back to just give the ball away to Jota, etc.

Tbf we were brilliant in that second half and playing like that with the Anfield crowd, this side will force mistakes out of players. I honestly think most sides in the league would have had a tough time against us in that second half.

Being a manager’s got to be hard as fuck because I don’t know what I would do if I was on the touch line and you just see a capitulation from your team like that. 

14 minutes ago, shut up said:

I've seen a lot of praise for Ox online and i think I must have watched a different game.I thought he was the weak link in your midfield and before the second goal went in, he was giving us chances to get back into the game. He decision making often erratic.

Fabinho & Thiago bossed it pretty much alone. Maybe I'll give the game a rewatch this week

Fabinho and Thiago were arguably the best two players on the pitch. Chamberlain made a couple of good interceptions first half, one of which stopped an Arsenal chance at goal. He gave the ball away needlessly a few times though. I think you're right that he wasn't great before the second went in, certainly in possession anyway. 

6 hours ago, shut up said:

I've seen a lot of praise for Ox online and i think I must have watched a different game.I thought he was the weak link in your midfield and before the second goal went in, he was giving us chances to get back into the game. He decision making often erratic.

Fabinho & Thiago bossed it pretty much alone. Maybe I'll give the game a rewatch this week

He was better than he’s been in previous weeks, but I thought he was nowhere near as good as Fabinho or Thiago (tbf probably our best players on the pitch).

Thought he was sloppy on the ball but better off the ball than he’s been lately. 

I think when Thiago and Fabinho play together, they're almost in effect their own two--man midfield and they're good enough that the 3rd midfielder doesn't need to get involved equally as much with the usual midfield work. 

That suits Ox if it means he's more free to run forward and support the forwards, which I think he was doing pretty well vs Arsenal. The issue is that I don't think the balance suits him as much without Thiago and Fabinho dominating the game.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived