talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Plans for 2022 - Has 2021 been a success?

football forum

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

2021 was a bit of a mixed bag, but undoubtedly much much better than 2020, so can't complain at all. It was a great year both professionally and financially - I spent the 2020 lockdown learning new skills and started applying them in practice at work this year, resulting in increased earnings and better future prospects. Also, I managed to visit and spend time in 3 countries I haven't previously visited, so that has been a massive source of mental & emotional boost in 2021. On the negative side, I still wasn't able to go back home due to entry restrictions, and my relationship ended abruptly earlier this year. In hindsight, the latter should probably count as a positive though, even if it kept me in a bit of a fucked up state for quite a while.

As for 2022, I hope to finally be able to settle down where I want to, and hope for the world to at least slightly start resembling pre-pandemic normality again. Other than that, no expectations - just hope everyone stays alive and healthy.

15 minutes ago, nudge said:

2021 was a bit of a mixed bag, but undoubtedly much much better than 2020, so can't complain at all. It was a great year both professionally and financially - I spent the 2020 lockdown learning new skills and started applying them in practice at work this year, resulting in increased earnings and better future prospects. Also, I managed to visit and spend time in 3 countries I haven't previously visited, so that has been a massive source of mental & emotional boost in 2021. On the negative side, I still wasn't able to go back home due to entry restrictions, and my relationship ended abruptly earlier this year. In hindsight, the latter should probably count as a positive though, even if it kept me in a bit of a fucked up state for quite a while.

As for 2022, I hope to finally be able to settle down where I want to, and hope for the world to at least slightly start resembling pre-pandemic normality again. Other than that, no expectations - just hope everyone stays alive and healthy.

That's a mixed bag but much more good than bad. Problem is no matter how good things are a break-up can outweight everything. It mentally and emotionally drains you. It's on your mind day and night and you have that scenario thought process where you're thinking over certain aspects of your relationship. You get over it but the initial phase us shit.

Just keep bringing in the money 🙂

• Administrator

Got married this year which was the plan, COVID permitting and thankfully as both weddings were in summer, we weren't affected too much.

Now just praying we can kick off 2022 with the honeymoon we planned last year :what:

Meh. Work has been a bit of a struggle. I rotated into a team which has not really paid much attention to training me, and instead has mostly just had me churn through a lot of menial work. They didn't seem very impressed with me and I also would not really be interested in staying in this department long term, even if they did want me to come back. So, it's felt like a largely wasted year, professionally.

Next year I rotate into the final seat of my traineeship, and I will also find out if I am being kept on into the year after. Even if they let me go, I will at least be qualified as a solicitor and I can hopefully get a permanent position somewhere else. If I can get a job, then wherever I end up, being qualified will mean I can expect my salary to go up 50-75% compared to my current trainee salary, which is also a nice thought.

Personally, it's been a better year. Managed to stay in contact with a few friends I had been drifting away from slightly during Covid, and my current relationship seems to have entered that kind of long-term status where we aren't shy about talking about a future going even further into the long-term. We can talk about things happening a year from now, and there's no feeling of doubt about it. Which, whatever happens, is quite a nice feeling.

• Subscriber

I will just concentrate on my health, again, this year, finding out from the doc's examination I had reached 15 stone, YIKES!!!! so I have just managed to get to just touching 12 stone which I am happy with and stop our daughter pointing to my gut and saying to wee Kaiden "Look at your granddads baby stomach..." O.o

2021 was okay.

At work, I got promoted... but with the promotion comes new responsibilities and new challenges - so I've had more work this year and at times have felt overwhelmed.

Personally, parts of the year have been far greater than 2020 was - and that's because I (and probably all of us) have had a bit more freedom from the virus compared to 2020. I've gone to a concert in 2021 - went to 0 concerts in 2020... and in 2019 I went to an absolute shitload of concerts. So getting to one was good. And I got to go on holiday - which after being stuck at home for almost a year... that was well needed.

8 hours ago, Inverted said:

Meh. Work has been a bit of a struggle. I rotated into a team which has not really paid much attention to training me, and instead has mostly just had me churn through a lot of menial work. They didn't seem very impressed with me and I also would not really be interested in staying in this department long term, even if they did want me to come back. So, it's felt like a largely wasted year, professionally.

Next year I rotate into the final seat of my traineeship, and I will also find out if I am being kept on into the year after. Even if they let me go, I will at least be qualified as a solicitor and I can hopefully get a permanent position somewhere else. If I can get a job, then wherever I end up, being qualified will mean I can expect my salary to go up 50-75% compared to my current trainee salary, which is also a nice thought.

Personally, it's been a better year. Managed to stay in contact with a few friends I had been drifting away from slightly during Covid, and my current relationship seems to have entered that kind of long-term status where we aren't shy about talking about a future going even further into the long-term. We can talk about things happening a year from now, and there's no feeling of doubt about it. Which, whatever happens, is quite a nice feeling.

Don't forget to post wedding pictures.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

2021 was okay.

At work, I got promoted... but with the promotion comes new responsibilities and new challenges - so I've had more work this year and at times have felt overwhelmed.

Personally, parts of the year have been far greater than 2020 was - and that's because I (and probably all of us) have had a bit more freedom from the virus compared to 2020. I've gone to a concert in 2021 - went to 0 concerts in 2020... and in 2019 I went to an absolute shitload of concerts. So getting to one was good. And I got to go on holiday - which after being stuck at home for almost a year... that was well needed.

More responsibility and work? Bet the year flown for you.

Just now, MUFC said:

More responsibility and work? Bet the year flown for you.

Yeah, it's gone by probably the fastest any year in my life has felt tbh.

Granted, mentally I'm still in March of 2020 - so time just feels weird as fuck generally xD

Mixed bag I'd say.

Enjoyed the staycations me and my girlfriend did, feel we really made the most of lost time soon as we could, and made some great memories.

The euphoria around the Euros was great as well, spending your time with mates watching the games, seemed to bring everyone together.

Biggest plus, moving into our new home together in October after a long search. Been mental getting bits together but we are ready to celebrate (and host) Christmas for everyone in our new home.

Biggest negative was my other half losing a baby. It came at a time we were not actively trying so wasn't planned but before we had time to get used to the idea, it was taken away from us. My other half found it very tough emotionally but she's done ever so well getting back on her feet. Think it's always harder for the female.

• Subscriber

2021 flew by so fast that I blinked and now im eating Xmas cake and wrapping presents.

2021 in a nutshell

• Thought it was time to move on from old job so did a bit of self-evaluation took a few interviews and found out I was worth more in the open market than I was at my current job. Applied, got chosen and was elated. Thought I'd share my elation with my current CEO only to find out that he wasn't as elated as I was. Got a promotion at the new place because my boss decided to quit so I have been given charge of a team when I totally despise people management of any kind but it is what it is. 
  • Bought a Mandolin thinking I'd learn something new only to learn that country music is the way to go so I started that weird journey and now I find myself listening to Kacey Musgraves out of habit or Boy Genius and its been a good ride so far. I have since decided that its time to take the plunge and learn piano so the hunt for what I need has now begun along with going back to music school to learn how to play one the right way.
  • Went on a dive trip and met so many folks I hadn't seen in over two years only to find out that all of them decided when the first lockdown started that they'd move to the dive center and spend the whole year diving. What a great idea and shame on me for not thinking the same.
  • Turned 40 and had way too much fun for one person to handle. 

2022 The Hope

• Spend less time at work (remote/otherwise) once things settle down and actually engage more with folks on the social front. Everyone is currently still in "scared" mode but its slowly getting better so I hope that takes the course its supposed to.
  • Get the band back together into jam rooms on a weekly basis to break the routine I have sort of developed over weekends and also because I actually miss sitting with them over a 3-4 hr session and just jamming. Should start right around February when folks come back to Bangalore.
  • Actually start playing football again because most of the places we'd play at have been shut due to the pandemic and now that kids are back in schools they're slowly opening other things up so heres hoping. 

• Subscriber

Sorry to hear that hear about the miscarriage @Lucas, I can just imagine how you both felt, the wife had the same experience when we first married and lost our first child, good things all ways come out on top in the end over the years as we had a boy & girl after that loss who have given us 3 lovely grandsons.

Had a bit of a shock today, one of the senior managers of the company I work for rang me mid afternoon sounding me out about about a possible promotion. Basically asked me how I felt about taking more responsibility on etc...

Told him I'd be interested to talk about it and within an hour he'd called me to say the companies director would like to have a chat the first day back after Christmas. 

All in all it's not been a bad year other than the fact I've not looked after myself in a fitness sense. The earlier part of the year I was all over it, running and doing the gym. Since June onwards I've just done nothing really, I travel a lot with work and I've just not had time. That will be changing in the new year.

2021…

Where do I begin? Perhaps at the start of the year… we moved into our own home and then had two gorgeous girls in February. Work took a back seat this year and I ended up going part time mainly because I wanted to spend more time at home with my family. However, it ended up being a good decision due to a terrible football injury in mid-late August. 

I had my first ever surgery at the start of November and am still not walking (almost there oh so close!) so this year has definitely been one to remember…and forget. 

The incredible highs of becoming a father outweighs the real struggle of that last 3 months with my leg. 

2022…

New year level at school, quite excited by that. I’ll be full time again (it’s needed!!) and I’ll be working on returning to physical activity around Feb/March with a small chance I’ll play sport again by August/September but tbh I think I’m finished…. apart from that… there are no plans or aspirations really except to continue to strive to be the best partner and dad I can be. 

Archived