Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Learning Spanish

Yes, I know we have a thread for learning languages and some of the apps we use, however, I wanted a Spanish specific one. 

My goal in life is to speak Spanish, Arabic, French, Russian, and Chinese. Two of those I'm good one, another one I'm not bad at, but Spanish is my worst. So here we go. 

Does anyone have any good books they used to learn Spanish? I plan to sign up for iTalki and get a Spanish tutor, but just wanted to have a place where I can ask some questions and have those who know the language. 

¡Vamos!

Following. As I am adding Spanish to my list of languages this year. One of my life plans is to spend a few months going through the America's and would love some basic Spanish. Which brings me to point two; how different are latin Spanish and Spanish?

6 minutes ago, Anton said:

how different are latin Spanish and Spanish?

There are differences in colloquial words from Castillian Spanish (that's the Spanish in Spain) and Latin American Spanish.  But I wouldn't bother searching to learn a Latin American based version of Spanish as from each Latin American country to another, their colloquial words change dramatically and what you'd be searching for is to simply be able to communicate cleanly which means Castillian Spanish will be understood perfectly all over the Latin American continent.

Well I will be heading to the bookstore later to pick up some materials to go through. I'm sure once I'm able to get a firm handle on it that my accent will be similar to that of Mexico's as we have so many Mexicans here in Atlanta. It's one reason why I think Spanish would be an easy new language, as finding language partners is as easy as stepping out of my house.

6 minutes ago, Eco said:

Well I will be heading to the bookstore later to pick up some materials to go through. I'm sure once I'm able to get a firm handle on it that my accent will be similar to that of Mexico's as we have so many Mexicans here in Atlanta. It's one reason why I think Spanish would be an easy new language, as finding language partners is as easy as stepping out of my house.

Pinche calvo wey!

There, i have given you your first lesson on Mexican Spanish. :ay:

1 hour ago, Berserker said:

Pinche calvo wey!

I'll translate that for him mate...

"Which way to the nearest hairdressers if you please sir"

Which is rather cruel on our hairless friend!!! >:(

football forum
1 hour ago, Berserker said:

Pinche calvo wey!

No seas weon pe, el español peruano es el mas neutro y mas facil para entender.

2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I'll translate that for him mate...

"Which way to the nearest hairdressers if you please sir"

Which is rather cruel on our hairless friend!!! >:(

Don't do the homework for him, we want him to learn!

football forum
4 minutes ago, Teso Dos Bichos said:

Weon pe? What the fuck... fujimori fucked that country up big time 

Ha, to be fair to you, you know something. Shame that you don't realize that we've actually grown as a nation since the Velasco era where we really were a mess

I spoke Spanish/English to a woman from Sevilla a few days ago. Managed to tell her that I'm from Australia and I'm slowly learning Spanish.

22 hours ago, Eco said:

Yes, I know we have a thread for learning languages and some of the apps we use, however, I wanted a Spanish specific one. 

My goal in life is to speak Spanish, Arabic, French, Russian, and Chinese. Two of those I'm good one, another one I'm not bad at, but Spanish is my worst. So here we go. 

Does anyone have any good books they used to learn Spanish? I plan to sign up for iTalki and get a Spanish tutor, but just wanted to have a place where I can ask some questions and have those who know the language. 

¡Vamos!

Michel Tomas is a great linguist. You could always read Don Quixote alongside the English translation.

On 21/06/2017 at 1:05 AM, Eco said:

¡Vamos!

https://www.thespanishblog.com/

This is a great site and she provides a lot of different courses, which helped me big time when I first started studying Spanish about 7 years ago(it's been a while now though, so it's getting rusty!).

I think she charges a small fee for her full courses now . They were free when I downloaded them all(I'm guessing there are even more now), although It won't cost much and will most likely just require a small donation, which she will use to keep running her site, as opposed to making money off it.

As for books, there is a brilliant one called "Palabra por palabra", which A level students use at Uni. It has tons of useful stuff in there. Even things such as "to sniff cocaine" or "to inject heroin". Obviously you won't be venturing around trying to score heroin anytime soon, but it's nice to know everything if you want to truly learn a language.

On 2017-6-20 at 9:05 PM, Eco said:

¡Vamos!

I think it depends on your goal. If you want a spanish certificate, I´d suggest you enroll in a language school to learn castellano and not the latin american spanish variations you´ll find if you try to learn on yourself in the United States. That will not help you in those tests. 

As for good spanish grammar books, "Suenã", published by the Universidad de Alcalá and Editorial Anaya, is the best I´ve used when I was studying spanish. 

Bit off-topic, but I find many mexican-americans a bit over the top and obnoxious. Everything from Mexico is better in their eyes, it´s quite annoying. 

1 hour ago, The Rebel CRS said:

https://www.thespanishblog.com/

This is a great site and she provides a lot of different courses, which helped me big time when I first started studying Spanish about 7 years ago(it's been a while now though, so it's getting rusty!).

I think she charges a small fee for her full courses now . They were free when I downloaded them all(I'm guessing there are even more now), although It won't cost much and will most likely just require a small donation, which she will use to keep running her site, as opposed to making money off it.

As for books, there is a brilliant one called "Palabra por palabra", which A level students use at Uni. It has tons of useful stuff in there. Even things such as "to sniff cocaine" or "to inject heroin". Obviously you won't be venturing around trying to score heroin anytime soon, but it's nice to know everything if you want to truly learn a language.

Nice! Cheers

I'm using duolingo to learn Spanish...good to pick simple stuff up but also difficult to remember without being visually prompted.

Yo soy el nino

Yo soy la nina

Como bebe leche

La nino come pan

5 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

La niña come

El niño come 

el bebe toma leche

The girl eat??

The boy eat??

the drink ??? milk???

Como = I

Come = Him/her

Comes = you/they??

Yo como
Tu comes
Él/ella come
Nosotros comemos
Vosotros coméis
Ellos/ellas comen

El bebe toma leche = Baby drinks milk. 

6 minutes ago, nudge said:

Yo como
Tu comes
Él/ella come
Nosotros comemos
Vosotros coméis
Ellos/ellas comen

El bebe toma leche = Baby drinks milk. 

Toma = baby?

The first three I understand, the second three I'm yet to learn :D

Just now, Danny said:

Toma = baby?

El bebe = baby

Toma is a conjugation of the verb "tomar" which means "take" (or in this case, "drink")

12 minutes ago, Danny said:

Toma = baby?

Second three:

We eat

You eat

They eat

I'm surprised you know this much about Spanish, Nudge. xD

8 minutes ago, Berserker said:

Second three:

We eat

You eat

They eat

I'm surprised you know this much about Spanish, Nudge. xD

Haha, I studied it for two years at uni and was actually fluent back then. Still understand 90% of the things I read, but my speaking skills are sadly gone.

football forum

@Danny I know you're just learning but I couldn't help but laugh at some of your guesses xD

Toma = baby over Bebe. Superb xD

Beber = drink (bebe is a conjugated form, e.g. él bebe agua = he drinks water)
El bebe = baby 

football forum
4 minutes ago, Danny said:

Duolingo said bebe meant drink :coffee:

Has 2 meanings. Bebe is baby but it could also mean drink.

the latter is used for certain situations. Normally it would be "quiero beber agua". Means "I want to drink water". "El Bebe agua" is "he drinks water".

i could have gotten that wrong mind. We don't use the word "bebe" for drink here in Peru much. Instead a lot of us say "quiero TOMAR agua". 

football forum

If you know any Spanish girls Danny, tell her "déjame tirar contigo webona"

it means you're an amazing person.

4 minutes ago, Blue said:

If you know any Spanish girls Danny, tell her "déjame tirar contigo webona"

it means you're an amazing person.

Brian your Spanish is as bad as Cark's.  Only persons who speak it rightly apart from me on here are Nudge and Chris & Balon to some extent. xD

football forum
2 minutes ago, Berserker said:

Brian your Spanish is as bad as Cark's.  Only persons who speak it rightly apart from me on here are Nudge and Chris & Balon to some extent. xD

Hey, I didn't choose to live 12 years in Canada.

I do have a gringo accent and yes my Spanish is bad but at least I'm fluent :D

It drives my employers crazy haha