talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Transfers That Haven't Quite Worked Out

I thought Id' start this topic just to see where it will go.

First off "Bonce" from Leicester to Man U. Has it improved Man U? I'm not not sure. I think he was a bit overrated.

Second "Mophead" from villa to City. He's become the highest paid seat polisher in the world.

Thoughts?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't think you needed him either yet here's the thing if Sterling leaves you will need a replacement or different threat. Mahrez is not the answer yet Grealish with his ability to dribble and win free-kicks might be very useful. 

56 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

Grealish wins this due to the fee and the fact we didn't even need him :4_joy:  ..Foden, Mahrez, Bernardo, Sterling ..lets spunk 100m on Grealish 🤪 🙈

bought him to weaken a rival.....oh wait Villa, Stevie G is doing well enough on his own

3 hours ago, Waylander said:

I didn't think you needed him either yet here's the thing if Sterling leaves you will need a replacement or different threat. Mahrez is not the answer yet Grealish with his ability to dribble and win free-kicks might be very useful. 

Don't think we need to replace Sterling if he goes as we have Alvarez joining this summer and also Jesus if we don't sell him

• The title was changed to Transfers That Haven't Quite Worked Out
7 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

Grealish wins this due to the fee and the fact we didn't even need him :4_joy:  ..Foden, Mahrez, Bernardo, Sterling ..lets spunk 100m on Grealish 🤪 🙈

Don't several Pep signings take a while to really settle in? Like Mahrez's first season at Citeh was a bit underwhelming compared to the rest of his time at the club. Grealish is still very talented, I think he can be afforded a season to be bedded in - especially because with your depth it doesn't make too much of an impact if a player needs time to be bedded in.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Don't several Pep signings take a while to really settle in? Like Mahrez's first season at Citeh was a bit underwhelming compared to the rest of his time at the club. Grealish is still very talented, I think he can be afforded a season to be bedded in - especially because with your depth it doesn't make too much of an impact if a player needs time to be bedded in.

This is true, Bernardo has only really found his feet this season too and nearly left last summer

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

That is because Pep is too big brained for his own footballers. I’m 100% of his failures come from not being able to communicate his ideas to some of his knuckle dragging players, just like how players would try to run away from Biesla’s coaching lectures. 

Jack Grealish doesn’t even know what an encyclopaedia is, Pep probably hasn’t figured out how to talk on a vapid Deano level yet. He obviously speak the language of ‘Shagaluf Lads’ because he got through to Foden pretty quick.

Max Meyer is the big one for us. He was on huge wages for a club our size given he had previously been linked with some top clubs. 50% of fans will tell you he looked good in the ten minute cameo's at first but eventually Roy got to suck all the confidence, hope and optimism out his body and he has never recovered. The other 50% of fans will tell you he never fit in and was clearly overrated which is why he's gone on to achieve nothing since.

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. Whilst he has never looked good enough for a top six club, I imagine had he joined a side that liked to keep possession with a Manager that actually wanted to help him he probably would have had a better shot at being successful. It pains may to say it, but Graham Potter and Brighton would possibly have been his best fit.

The other big name that flopped for us was Emmanuel Adebayor. I laughed when I read he said that he never wanted to join us because the feeling was so mutual. Sure, he could hold the ball up in the corner and defenders had to mark him but we had Aaron Wilbraham doing that two years before on one hundredth of the weekly wage. A tragic waste of a squad place.

10 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

.The other big name that flopped for us was Emmanuel Adebayor. I laughed when I read he said that he never wanted to join us because the feeling was so mutual. Sure, he could hold the ball up in the corner and defenders had to mark him but we had Aaron Wilbraham doing that two years before on one hundredth of the weekly wage. A tragic waste of a squad place.

I forgot he ever played at Palace

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I forgot he ever played at Palace

2 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

I wish I could.

You two need to behave, you very well know Max Meyer's dad posts on this site.

There's been quite a few I could probably list over the decades for us, but sticking with stuff more recently:

• Andy Carroll - tbh I think he had all the raw talent to be a great target man, but his movement and positioning were pretty shit. Also always injured.
  • Christian Benteke - I was excited for this signing because he looked brilliant at Aston Villa, but he was very frustrating. Took up good positions in the box, but never really... made runs - so stationary all the time, was never gonna work out for us
  • Stewart Downing - we signed him because "he crosses a lot" and was meant to compliment Carroll. But his crossing was shite and he was a winger that barely ever looked to beat his man
  • Mario Balotelli - I thought he'd be a failure, and tbh I'm sure almost everyone (other than that Weird World fella) felt the same

I could probably make a long list going back to the 90s though if I wanted to, but I don't think I want to xD

4 minutes ago, Spike said:

You two need to behave, you very well know Max Meyer's dad posts on this site.

Good thing we're talking about Adebayor then xD

I do think Max Meyer's maybe one of the most overrated players I've seen in my life though.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Good thing we're talking about Adebayor then xD

I do think Max Meyer's maybe one of the most overrated players I've seen in my life though.

Your post was longer than 10 words I just had to make a guess at that point

52 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It was 7 words... xD

That is a big seven mate ...

1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

Max Meyer is the big one for us. He was on huge wages for a club our size given he had previously been linked with some top clubs. 50% of fans will tell you he looked good in the ten minute cameo's at first but eventually Roy got to suck all the confidence, hope and optimism out his body and he has never recovered. The other 50% of fans will tell you he never fit in and was clearly overrated which is why he's gone on to achieve nothing since.

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. Whilst he has never looked good enough for a top six club, I imagine had he joined a side that liked to keep possession with a Manager that actually wanted to help him he probably would have had a better shot at being successful. It pains may to say it, but Graham Potter and Brighton would possibly have been his best fit.

The other big name that flopped for us was Emmanuel Adebayor. I laughed when I read he said that he never wanted to join us because the feeling was so mutual. Sure, he could hold the ball up in the corner and defenders had to mark him but we had Aaron Wilbraham doing that two years before on one hundredth of the weekly wage. A tragic waste of a squad place.

Archived