• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Wales vs Ukraine - WC Playoff Final - Sunday 5th June, 2022

football forum

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Wales have a lot to thank Hennessey, Davies and Williams for. Excellent from them. 

Quality saves and last ditch defending. Ukraine should have had a penalty too but otherwise their poor finishing cost them the most. 

Good luck to Wales in winter!

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was pure 'shit your pants' for 90 minutes. On any other day, we would have lost that as Ukraine did everything right except putting the ball in the net. It's a crying shame that they could not have qualified.

Hennessey, Williams and Davies MOTM for me. Hennessey basically kept us in the game throughout, Davies with his defending and Williams showing his class at both ends.

Sorry that it had to be this way @Michael. On any other day, you would have won with ease, as you had so many great chances.

I'm now off to shag some sheep and stop saying 'cunt' for a while.

Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

@Bluebird Hewitt out of interest what was better. Cardiff getting in the premier league or wales getting to the world cup ?

Tough to say as both (at least for the first promotion to the prem) was after 51 or so years, while this is after 64 years, so both ridiculously long times.

Can't really decide in all honesty. Probably leaning more towards Cardiff getting promoted, but not by much.

7 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

I expect you to fist us tbf. Our route out is against Iran and the US, though neither will be easy.

I think it'll be a 1-0/2-1 kinda game but I'd be disappointed not to win. After all, Scotland got a point off us at the Euros, the home nations love playing us.

I think you can qualify though, not really sure the USA are much if a threat, Iran should be the whipping boys.

2 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I think it'll be a 1-0/2-1 kinda game but I'd be disappointed not to win. After all, Scotland got a point off us at the Euros, the home nations love playing us.

I think you can qualify though, not really sure the USA are much if a threat, Iran should be the whipping boys.

Iran should be winnable, but the US do have a couple of good players that can cause issues. Think that'll be a tight game.

• Administrator
27 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

I expect you to fist us tbf. Our route out is against Iran and the US, though neither will be easy.

Also, @MUFC

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@Bluebird Hewitt I think England should qualify but I think any of the other teams could qualify. I'd imagine Wales are the favourites though. But USA wont be easy. @Dr. Gonzo do Iran have a chance of getting out the group? 

Probably not. The Iranian equivalent of the FA is a joke and is struggling to arrange friendlies in preparation

I am pleased for Wales. After 2 decent Euro tournaments, their followers do deserve a World Cup. Perhaps a slight disappointment it's in winter & not with Brazil or Spain or someone exciting.

England start with Iran.

With draw written all over Wales & USA, they'll be needing a Kane 70th minute header for a 1-0 vs Iran.

Well I've just got back home from the match in Cardiff and first of all, I just want to say congratulations to Wales and @Bluebird Hewitt for reaching their first World Cup in 64 years. As for the match though, I am just speechless. It's as if the gods did not want Ukraine to go to the World Cup. Ukraine had loads of dangerous chances to score, they had a 100% penalty when Yarmolenko was hacked down by Allen not given and to cap it all, Yarmolenko, Ukraine's experienced talisman is the player who scores the own goal, attempting to clear Bale's free-kick attempt. I mean honestly, on another day Ukraine could have won by 5 or 6 goals, given the dangerous chances they created. The stats speak for themselves, Ukraine 67% possession, Wales 33% possession, Ukraine had 22 total shots with 9 on target, while Wales had 10 total shots with 3 on target and Ukraine completed 489 passes compared to Wales's 187 completed passes. 

What can I say about Wayne Hennessey? He played the game of his life, saving so many of Ukraine's dangerous attempts on goal. The ball only beat him when Zinchenko put the ball in the net with a quickly taken free-kick, which the referee disallowed because he hadn't blown his whistle. Davies was also excellent in defence, it has to be said and Bale was expectedly Wales's best attacking asset. But Ukraine did everything but score a goal. I do not think their performance was much worse than their performance against Scotland, which everyone was raving about. Sure in some parts of the 2nd half, there were some rushed final balls that were wasted, but generally speaking, they played excellently and created a lot of scoring opportunities. Ukraine were the dominant side once again, even though Wales did create some dangerous chances of their own in the 2nd half, when Ukraine were desperately attacking seeking the equaliser. But it was clear who the commanding side were, so much so that Wales indulged in obvious time wasting during the 2nd half. I can't say it's too surprising that the Welsh did this, given they had that lead from the 1st half and given the magnitude of the occasion, but it was clearly frustrating from the Ukrainian perspective.

Having said all that, Ukraine can be proud that they performed so well both against Scotland and Wales. We have to also note that they played away in both matches, which was to their disadvantage and that half their team hadn't played competitively for 6 months prior to the Scotland match. Who knows also how much the Scotland match took out of them for this game against Wales. Ukraine can curse their luck all day and analyse the reasons as to why they didn't get the win today, but at the end of the day, if you create all those chances and don't even score a couple of goals, you only have yourselves to blame. Credit to Wales as well, they did the best that they could do and the Welsh supporters were amazing. There wasn't an empty seat in the stadium and the Welsh fans sang their hearts out. Even though the Ukrainians were just as vocal, the sheer number of Welsh supporters in the stadium meant that they were extremely loud. Funnily enough though, it was only until the 27th minute that the Welsh fans started to sing loudly, but they consistently started singing and cheering their team from that point onwards. 

After the match, obviously the Ukrainian players came towards the away end, where we the Ukrainian fans were at and threw some of their shirts into the crowd. But moments later, the Welsh players also approached our away end and clapped showing their appreciation for our presence and clearly showing empathy for the situation in Ukraine. The Welsh fans were even more amazing, they kept commiserating the Ukrainian fans after the game and said that Ukraine's time would come. Even at the bar we were at before the match, I have to commend the Welsh fans, they were as polite as anything and they joined in with the Ukrainian fans singing and joking around. Despite the result and the shitty weather, we had a great time in Cardiff and it looks like a great city. The people of Cardiff though helped make the experience an enjoyable one, they just came across as being so polite. 

Although it will be tough for Wales, I really hope that Wales qualify with England from their World Cup group. Iran will be the team that Wales will be expected to beat. Wales will probably be expected to lose against England. But it is the USA who will be their main rivals for that 2nd place qualification spot. The USA are a much improved side in recent years, but I believe Wales have the beating of the US, especially if Bale and Ramsey are on form. Not saying that England will automatically top the group either, but that is still very likely to happen, given England's strength. In fact, Wales will be one of the teams I will be supporting at the World Cup. It was great to see their fans today and for a small nation, it would be amazing to see them make history at this years World Cup. Once again, congrats to @Bluebird Hewitt and I hope that Wales make the last 16 or go even further at this years World Cup.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived