talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

UK Politics & Brexit Discussion

football forum

• Administrator
13 hours ago, Waylander said:

it is more about economics, jobs and inflation

And how's that going for the Tories that have been in power for 12 years?!

Tory MPs have unleashed fresh frustration at newly released photos from November 2020 which appear to show Boris Johnson drinking indoors with colleagues, despite severe lockdown restrictions being in place.

The images, obtained by ITV news, show the Prime Minister drinking wine and raising his glass and were reportedly taken at an event on 13 November 2020.

Their publication raises further questions about why Johnson was not fined for the event, and whether he misled MPs by claiming in the House of Commons that no event took place. A spokesperson for Downing Street confirmed that the photo had been seen by the Metropolitan Police investigation, and reiterated that Johnson had not been fined for the event in question.

One critical Tory MP dismissed the suggestion that Johnson was in the clear because he had not been issued with a Fixed Penalty Notice (FPN).

“I am not sure how the line ‘the Met had the photo and didn’t give him an FPN, and therefore it must be legal’ is viable for any length of time,” they told PoliticsHome.

“Was the Met weak, gullible, incompetent or stupid?”

Following the publication of the photos, the Liberal Democrats have written to the Independent Office for Police Conduct asking them to clarify why the Prime Minister was not issued with an FPN over the event. “The Metropolitan Police has so far failed to offer any statement of clarification regarding their decision making process,” Daisy Cooper, the party’s deputy, said.

Tory MPs Despair At Leaked Photos Of Boris Johnson At Boozy Lockdown Party (politicshome.com)

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

Tory MPs have unleashed fresh frustration at newly released photos from November 2020 which appear to show Boris Johnson drinking indoors with colleagues, despite severe lockdown restrictions being in place.

Send the letter of no confidence in then you spineless cunts.

It takes 15% of them to send in letters of no confidence to trigger a vote and a subsequent leadership challenge. That hasn't happened yet so clearly over 85% of Tory MPs think it's more important for them to either continue to hitch themselves to Johnson's wagon or wait until the "right moment" to remove him but if that hasn't happened yet then I don't know when it will.

The fact that he's still there even before the latest revelations are hard evidence that what's right and wrong simply doesn't come into the calculation for 85%+ of the Tories. Personally I think that's reprehensible yet it's far from nailed on they won't win the next election so clearly I don't speak for everyone.

• Administrator

As someone who wants Tories out of power for good, I do wonder if it's best to let Johnson dig a hole so deep that everyone falls in with him and there is no route of escape, so when GE comes along, he's left in a in a pit of misery as the result comes in (hopefully a resounding loss). 

Or if someone else comes in, will we have to experience the whole facade all over again - constant allegations with no responsibility taken, no room for comeuppance and no option but to wait further years for change. Let's face it, I can only fathom anyone going for leadership will just be of the same mould as Johnson in terms of rule-breaking, rule-evading fuckwit. 

• Subscriber

I can't commit to fully believing so but I try to comfort myself with the likelihood that Johnson leading them into the next election will see them finally booted out of power which the country sorely, sorely needs.

In terms of replacements, I think after Johnson and his allies skewered Sunak to protect him from a leadership challenge that there isn't really anyone around who can make much of a difference to their polling before the next election. Sunak was the one I thought had the popularity and smarts to take over, create a new message and go into the next campaign with a relatively clean slate in the eyes of the public, at least enough to win another majority. Not anymore though.

I'm still sickened that we have to call Johnson the leader of our country but Stan's point is probably correct. He's doing as much if not more damage to his own party and if the price of Labour forming the next government is to put up with Johnson's regime for the rest of this term, then given that we've survived more than half of it, maybe it's something we can make peace with.

There are so many people who need it sooner though with what's going on with the economy. Even now they're planning the timing of their next package to help with the cost of living crisis around the latest partygate revelations to maximise their political capital from it. Truly disgusting. I've spent much of the past two years trying to grow up a bit and convince myself there are plenty of decent Tories in Parliament even if I don't agree with their politics but when over 85% of them clearly support this government far enough not to send in a letter of no confidence then it makes it difficult. 

23 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I've spent much of the past two years trying to grow up a bit and convince myself there are plenty of decent Tories in Parliament even if I don't agree with their politics but when over 85% of them clearly support this government far enough not to send in a letter of no confidence then it makes it difficult. 

Agreed.... The fact he is so badly wrong and yet all those that could force the issue decide not to sums up the whole situation.. Like you I would like to believe that there are some good people that are just waiting to surface but until the rats nest is cleared out nothing will change. I don't delude myself that having Labour in charge will be much different either if that should happen, Policies might change which is why we need something to happen but if we think any of them are not hiding skeletons in their closets waiting to see the light of day that would be silly.. 

It's just a circus at the moment with a clown in charge of proceedings and he won't give one flying fuck what the public think of him as long as he can ride that storm and hold on for as long as he can.. The fact he can keep getting away with bare faced lies in Parliament and giving out misleading information is frankly absurd and plain criminal.. Fuck them all!! 

• Subscriber
36 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Agreed.... The fact he is so badly wrong and yet all those that could force the issue decide not to sums up the whole situation.. Like you I would like to believe that there are some good people that are just waiting to surface but until the rats nest is cleared out nothing will change. I don't delude myself that having Labour in charge will be much different either if that should happen, Policies might change which is why we need something to happen but if we think any of them are not hiding skeletons in their closets waiting to see the light of day that would be silly.. 

It's just a circus at the moment with a clown in charge of proceedings and he won't give one flying fuck what the public think of him as long as he can ride that storm and hold on for as long as he can.. The fact he can keep getting away with bare faced lies in Parliament and giving out misleading information is frankly absurd and plain criminal.. Fuck them all!! 

This attitude is a problem though. The idea that Labour are no better. They are. Even Theresa May and David Cameron were better. Not many politicians make it anywhere near the highest offices in the land without having some skeletons in their closet, I agree, but Boris Johnson truly is on another level and that needs to be acknowledged and accepted. Personally if I hear anyone saying stuff about all politicians being crooks or all as bad as each other I try to challenge it, because there have always been red lines which you'd know as a member of the public would be resignation issues and it provided some semblance of accountability to those in charge but Johnson and this government have just pissed all over them.

26 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Personally if I hear anyone saying stuff about all politicians being crooks or all as bad as each other I try to challenge it, because there have always been red lines which you'd know as a member of the public would be resignation issues and it provided some semblance of accountability to those in charge but Johnson and this government have just pissed all over them.

Not everyone is dishonest but under certain leaders like Johnson they tend to get tarred with the same brush but we know it's not everyone.. The fact he is allowed to get away with so much is a major concern though?? Anyone with an ounce of decency or with any reasonable morals should be fuming at what is going on but despite one or two being brave enough to speak out the fact the large majority are not pushing hard to put this right concerns me greatly.. When self preservation comes above what's right we have little hope of real change.. 

I mean have you seen this... He tries to stand up for the right things and gets heckled by his own side.. They have got away with it for so long they just brush it off as an unwelcome irritation... It's pathetic 

Edited by Bluewolf

@RandoEFC You've fallen for the classic Murdoch trap. Saying 'it's an open goal' As others will say that "Labour messed it all up for themselves" in previous elections. 

When in reality it's a no win scenario. Murchoch is in the brains of a huge chunk of the nation through their eyes and ears. Tv, radio, papers office conversations, all dictated upon. So Labour come forward with great policies? They're undermined as being 'costly' Slightest bungle at a press conference? "The leader is incompetent" 

They cycle is such that you have to wait for the self-serving, corrupt nature of the Tory government is so bloated and disfigured by its own baggage that it sinks itself. 

It's like that episode of southpark where cartman finds the treasure, and because he doesn't want to share it he eats it all and becomes a burden to the other kids, claiming that 'he's sick' until the episode ends and he shits out the consequences of his own greed. 

Just replace the gold he's hiding with inflation, unemployment, brexit consequences, youth poverty, homelessness ect.  

It is "absolutely certain" that Prime Minister Boris Johnson will have to resign if it is found he misled the House of Commons, according to the chair of Parliament's privileges committee. Labour MP Chris Bryant made the comment after the publication of Sue Gray's report, which revealed drunken parties at 10 Downing Street during the Covid lockdowns.

Mr Johnson, who has said he will not resign as Prime Minister, is now facing an inquiry by the Commons privileges committee into whether he knowingly misled when he repeatedly told Parliament there were no parties. Mr Bryant, who has stepped aside from the inquiry because of his own public criticisms of the Prime Minister, said the committee could trigger a recall ballot in Mr Johnson’s Uxbridge and South Ruislip constituency by recommending his suspension from the Commons.

He told Sky News: "They can force him to quit. I'm absolutely certain that if the privileges committee decides that the Prime Minister has misled Parliament and sends a report to the House to that effect, Boris Johnson may still try to cling on, but I would have thought that at that point every self-respecting member of the House of Commons would vote for whatever suspension is recommended by the committee.

"And if he's suspended from the House, he's out. That's it."

Standards chief 'absolutely certain' Boris Johnson will quit if found he misled Parliament (msn.com)

A conservative mp called Rachel Maclean has said that people who are struggling with the cost of living should work more hours or get  better paid jobs. Yeah because things really are that simple :dam:

• Subscriber

The realisation is starting to dawn on some of them that the horse they've backed to the hilt and beyond has finally led them to a position where there's no good outcome for them. He's blown it himself whilst ensuring there are no good alternatives left so he can cling onto power for a few more months.

Many of them still remain oblivious though and will do until they get punted out of the circle of power which is going to be precious viewing.

For my English chums. Here are some ideas to survive the energy crisis. (a reminder it's summer and you'll all die in winter if you don't adopt one of the following strategies)

1. Be a rich Tory cunt. 
2. Become a long distance runner to raise your core temperature. 
3. Get so angry at insulate Britain for trying to get in front of a huge problem that your temperature rises so high you survive another night. 
4. 21st century prostitution. 
5. Argue over why Labor would be worse until the hot air fills the room. 

43 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

xD

Funny but things like that would never hurt someone like Johnson.. He has a rhinos skin that allows him to ride roughshod over others feelings.. It probably amuses him to a degree after all a few boos will never get him removed by the lower orders, Us the riff raff need to up our game... If he had about 100 eggs tossed in his direction every time he was out in public then that probably would piss him off... You have to inconvenience a man like Johnson to get a reaction then his true nature is revealed.. 

See the source image

• Subscriber

Johnson's reaction to those boos will be to feel sorry for himself. He's absolutely convinced that it's not his fault people feel that way about him and that he's been stitched up by the media. He genuinely thinks that these excuses about attending people's leaving speeches because it was essential to sustain morale while others weren't allowed to attend funerals and the bedsides of dying relatives are legitimate.

He won't enjoy it at all. He'll hate it because he thinks people look at him and see the King of the World and he couldn't be more wrong.

43 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Johnson's reaction to those boos will be to feel sorry for himself. He's absolutely convinced that it's not his fault people feel that way about him and that he's been stitched up by the media. He genuinely thinks that these excuses about attending people's leaving speeches because it was essential to sustain morale while others weren't allowed to attend funerals and the bedsides of dying relatives are legitimate.

He won't enjoy it at all. He'll hate it because he thinks people look at him and see the King of the World and he couldn't be more wrong.

On that we can probably agree, He would use it to try and garner some sympathy about how the plebs don't understand how hard it is to run the country and that he is so misunderstood but on the rest we will have to agree to disagree..

I think he knows exactly how people will take it but his sense of entitlement means he feels he can just brush aside any criticism from any quarter regardless if that's the house of commons opposition/ media or indeed the public.. What's important to him is that he holds on to his power by any means possible.. be that his fingertips or the skin of his teeth.. 

The only time he does not enjoy it is when he is under intense scrutiny.. when he is put on the spot and has no answer or has to be truthful about something that's why he tries to avoid debates or interviews where it's just him and even when caught out he uses deflection or misleads to wriggle out of situations.. He then surrounds himself with toadies and boot lickers that trot out the same old shit and stick up for him knowing full well that if he falls they all fall, total self preservation from top to bottom.. Fallout and anger from decisions they make is just a storm to be ridden until a safe port is found and things calm down.. sadly for him the storm is still raging and even sadder for us it's still not enough to send him down along with his ship of fools.. 

This was from Max Hastings back in 2019 

I have known Johnson since the 1980s, when I edited the Daily Telegraph and he was our flamboyant Brussels correspondent. I have argued for a decade that, while he is a brilliant entertainer who made a popular maître d’ for London as its mayor, he is unfit for national office, because it seems he cares for no interest save his own fame and gratification.

A few admirers assert that, in office, Johnson will reveal an accession of wisdom and responsibility that have hitherto eluded him, not least as foreign secretary. This seems unlikely, as the weekend’s stories emphasised. Dignity still matters in public office, and Johnson will never have it. Yet his graver vice is cowardice, reflected in a willingness to tell any audience, whatever he thinks most likely to please, heedless of the inevitability of its contradiction an hour later.

Like many showy personalities, he is of weak character. I recently suggested to a radio audience that he supposes himself to be Winston Churchill, while in reality being closer to Alan Partridge.