talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

UK Politics & Brexit Discussion

football forum

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
31 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

@RondónEFC as somebody that has been directly affected by his sheer incompetence, what are your thoughts on Gavin Williamson receiving a knighthood?

I'm not going to lie, I don't really have my hackles up over it because it was rumoured a while ago and there isn't really even a scintilla of a genuine argument from any quarter that it's genuinely because he deserves it.

Looking at the positives. Those important people between "always Conservative" and "always Labour" don't like Gavin Williamson in the slightest, and if this nudges even a small handful of their political needles away from voting Tory again next time and subjecting us to another term of that mangy scarecrow being in charge then that's sound with me.

I absolutely despise the bloke though. An abhorrent failure at every turn, but I posted about him at length when it was going on so I'm not going to go to the effort again.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator
4 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Just open this thread, give the results a quick read through, and see if you find it as contradictory as me. :what:

Yeah that makes no logical sense at all. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Stan said:

Yeah that makes no logical sense at all. 

People really have no idea what "the economy" is do they? They think it's men in suits, rich CEOs, GDP and employment statistics when it's actually their employment status, what they get paid and how that stacks up against how much it costs them to live their lives.

14 minutes ago, Stan said:

Good old Boris, nailing the concept of schooling... 

This video just made me google "how many adults are illiterate in the UK" and holy fuck the results are depressing.

I wanted to have a laugh at BoJo and the Tories for making a video showing that schools should be doing what schools should be doing... but honestly, given that 1 in 6 adults in the UK are functionally illiterate (HOW?!?!?!)... I'm actually going to say anything the government does to improve the standards of schools is a good thing.

That's an appalling statistic and it begs the question... why the fuck is it so bad?

• Subscriber
18 minutes ago, Stan said:

Good old Boris, nailing the concept of schooling... 

Clueless lip service.

They hired an education "tsar" to work out what needed doing to make up for the lost time due to Covid. They balked at the idea at investing the number he came back with in our kids and he resigned in protest.

Education will get nothing but failure and under-investment from this lot. Their only solution is to try to force teachers into longer hours because their creative problem solving is such that that's all they can come up with. It's also cheap and allows them to score cheap Daily Mail points when the unions push back. You can see the headlines now. TRAITOROUS TEACHERS REFUSE TO DO WHAT'S RIGHT FOR OUR KIDS. And because this country has become a parody of itself in so many ways, a lot of people will gobble it up.

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Sunak admitting trade not picking up “might be linked to Brexit” means he’s on borrowed time.

He didn’t want to say it, but he did & the Tories won’t want a chancellor who sometimes tells the truth

Circular firing squad. In reality, Brexit, Covid, Ukraine have all impacted on the economy. He's more synonymous with the "cost of living crisis" than Brexit so he's obviously going to point at the thing that he's less attached to. I don't think it's some characteristic of him telling the truth on purpose! 

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Sunak admitting trade not picking up “might be linked to Brexit” means he’s on borrowed time.

He didn’t want to say it, but he did & the Tories won’t want a chancellor who sometimes tells the truth

It's also not how the 'sunlit uplands' of Brexit was sold...

Almost as if it was a bad idea right from the outset!

• Upvote 1

Turns out no migrant workers means less production, greater shipping costs and longer wait times for shipping/transport? Weird. 
Turns out trade tariffs to countries you used to trade freely with means less trade intensity, and less production, and less employment. Weird. 
Turns out these things lead to lower real GDP in a nation who's economy was based on trade. Weird. 

2 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Turns out no migrant workers means less production, greater shipping costs and longer wait times for shipping/transport? Weird. 
Turns out trade tariffs to countries you used to trade freely with means less trade intensity, and less production, and less employment. Weird. 
Turns out these things lead to lower real GDP in a nation who's economy was based on trade. Weird. 

Turns out Brexit means Brexit, lad. Simple as.

• Subscriber
On 01/04/2022 at 00:27, Dr. Gonzo said:

The more Sunak speaks, the more I think “this idiot needs to shut his mouth more”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60941902

Ironically, he could do with a fucking slap from Will Smith

The "Dishy Rishi" Sunak fan club phase is finally over. There should never have been one given that one of the main reasons he's as wealthy as he is is because he made a fortune as a 'disaster capitalist' off the financial crisis.

The way this cost of living crisis is being handled in the UK is an absolute disgrace. It beggars belief that having a cabinet full of the rich and privileged making the political decision to plunge even more people into poverty than they already have in their first decade in power shouldn't bar the Tories from power or any sort of public approval for at least another decade. It absolutely beggars belief how forgiving the public are toward this lot when many of them still hold a grudge against Labour because they happened to be in power when a global financial crisis caused mild inconvenience to the British economy.

• Upvote 1