talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

UK Politics & Brexit Discussion

football forum

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Inverted said:

It's amazing how many people will be shocked at a Labour leader being smeared using disinformation and identity politics, and never connect the dots and realise the exact same thing happened to the previous two. 

I don't think there's shock that it happens now and has happened before. I think it's 'shock' that it continues to happen and is peddled by people in some form of power that should know better. 

• Subscriber

Anyone shocked that the three of them organised a coordinated smear on a rival politician, shocked that they'll get away with it, shocked that they haven't apologised or shocked that the people whose political views align with the perpetrators don't just not care but actually actively enjoy the hypocrisy and misinformation being spread against "the other side" shouldn't be. This is our politics now and it has been since 2016.

This is shocking but not surprising and the poor nature of what they done is definitely not party specific, it’s an issue that effects politics deeply and I’m not just referring to the smear campaign when I say that https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/labour-leaks-report-antisemitism-racism-diane-abbott-butler-a9468521.html

The fact is very little will be done, they might be sacked, someone else will come in and the culture that allows all this shit to happen will remain

Edited by Danny

This is a positive sign.

Starmer's QC approach in the crisis is landing well with swing voters and even some quarters of the conservative backing press. 

This latest is an indication that he's coming to be considered a threat. The early weeks he was palmed off as being boring and a candidate of continuity remain to enough of a degree that he wasn't taken seriously. The crisis is a chance to build a reputation outside of the polarised world that came before it. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Harvsky said:

This is a positive sign.

Starmer's QC approach in the crisis is landing well with swing voters and even some quarters of the conservative backing press. 

This latest is an indication that he's coming to be considered a threat. The early weeks he was palmed off as being boring and a candidate of continuity remain to enough of a degree that he wasn't taken seriously. The crisis is a chance to build a reputation outside of the polarised world that came before it. 

He has my attention and I hate Politicians.... 

Maybe it's just because I sat through 5 years of it in uni, but I'm personally not big on the lawyerly approach. 

Its a bit boring, but the Tories make it look particularly devastating by the absolute audacity with which they try and dodge clearly provable facts. 

If they had went to law school they would have learned how to survive awkward questioning without resorting to outright lies. 

Edited by Inverted

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

The Conservatives: anyone using the pandemic as an opportunity to score political points is a disgrace.

Also the Conservatives:

20200515_133316.thumb.jpg.6efe5018b1e5ccada6f9cadbabc84126.jpg

Not a surprise 

Doesnt really highlight that the services were cut back because like most services it is operated by generally lower socio-economic employees who have children and families that they need to protect...and also to protect themselves 

Edited by Danny

• The title was changed to UK Politics & Brexit Discussion
  • Administrator

I find it disgusting that the Immigration Bill that was passed on Monday also had increases in NHS surcharges from October for migrant workers and their families - from £400 to £624 per person each year. 

So you can save lives (PM included), work your arse off in a global virus outbreak, be a care worker trying to save those struck by the virus in all those care homes, get clapped each Thursday but pay extra for the privilege.

Some people are so fucking backwards in this country. So hypocritical in their thoughts and actions. No doubt those voting yes on the bill will clap for carers but make them pay more. 

Doctors, nurses and paramedics have been made exempt from paying it this October (for 1 year only though) but not care workers and I think that is astonishing and shameful in the same measure. 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

I find it disgusting that the Immigration Bill that was passed on Monday also had increases in NHS surcharges from October for migrant workers and their families - from £400 to £624 per person each year. 

Yea, I never knew that until I was reading a bit about it the other week and although I think people should contribute and not be here for a free ride I think anyone that works as part of the NHS or Care system should be given either a huge discount or at least waive the fees for those that are working as part of the NHS

It was worse because that Priti Patel had promised to review it and after only 3 weeks said fuck off it stays as it is... You might think that after all the danger and risk the frontline staff have endured that there might be some thank you for it and even more so after Johnson got properly pampered when he fell ill so I don't care much for this 'Clap for the NHS' bullshit when in reality they don't care enough to want to consider any real change.. 

• Administrator
Just now, LFCMike said:

I see they've scrapped the surcharge for overseas NHS and care workers.

After rightful pressure from Labour government and Tory MPs too. 

Can't believe it was ever considered to charge them more when you see how much they've sacrificed in the past few months. Some have paid the ultimate sacrifice as well whilst being on the front line.

10 minutes ago, Stan said:

After rightful pressure from Labour government and Tory MPs too. 

Can't believe it was ever considered to charge them more when you see how much they've sacrificed in the past few months. Some have paid the ultimate sacrifice as well whilst being on the front line.

Agreed

• Subscriber

Trying to take this away from the Covid thread so it doesn't get overrun again by UK politics.

People started kicking off last night that everything except Dominic Cummings was trending on Twitter while stuff like Durham, #sackDom etc was. I was sceptical at first of the people putting the tin foil hats on but I've just noticed this:

Screenshot_20200523-132612_Twitter.thumb.jpg.6d7e5aebc5c07e6e39e43ab98158d8d7.jpg

It looks to me to be incredibly suspect that no trends involving the word "Cummings" have made it into UK trends. Dom and Dominic seem to be fine but the killer for me is that #sackcummimgs has made it into the top UK trends because a few people have managed to get it trending to prove this point.

I'm open to anyone explaining to me something I don't know about Twitter and the algorithms that has kept the combination of letters Cummings out of UK trends since this story broke, otherwise you've got to go to the Occam's Razor of there being some filter in place that prevents Cummings from trending to try and reduce the span of the story. If this is the case, what are the implications? Seems pretty scary to me if true.

• Administrator
51 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Trying to take this away from the Covid thread so it doesn't get overrun again by UK politics.

People started kicking off last night that everything except Dominic Cummings was trending on Twitter while stuff like Durham, #sackDom etc was. I was sceptical at first of the people putting the tin foil hats on but I've just noticed this:

Screenshot_20200523-132612_Twitter.thumb.jpg.6d7e5aebc5c07e6e39e43ab98158d8d7.jpg

It looks to me to be incredibly suspect that no trends involving the word "Cummings" have made it into UK trends. Dom and Dominic seem to be fine but the killer for me is that #sackcummimgs has made it into the top UK trends because a few people have managed to get it trending to prove this point.

I'm open to anyone explaining to me something I don't know about Twitter and the algorithms that has kept the combination of letters Cummings out of UK trends since this story broke, otherwise you've got to go to the Occam's Razor of there being some filter in place that prevents Cummings from trending to try and reduce the span of the story. If this is the case, what are the implications? Seems pretty scary to me if true.

Yes heard about this as well.

Feel sorry for ABBA being lumped in with all that shite xD

• Subscriber

I've just seen a sensible suggestion that it's being blocked because of Twitter policy on the word "cumming" and it's other meaning. Makes sense to be fair. Should have been able to figure that one out myself.

*puts tinfoil away*

7 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Bots mate

A big bonus of today is that the newcomers like Sunak, Braverman, Dowden and Schapps have all been given a chance to expose themselves as being just as inept and morally vacuous as the likes of Hancock and Gove. They've all blindly thrown themselves onto the grenade as commanded, only for another to appear. 

Especially Sunak, who after making a nice impression at the start of lockdown had the nation seemingly rushing to see who could blow the biggest load over him.

Not up to date on this Cummings malarkey. He got sick and drove up to Durham with his family from London, so that they would be cared for by family if him and his wife got proper sick. But no other family stayed with them? And he was seen at a nearby castle?

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Danny said:

Not up to date on this Cummings malarkey. He got sick and drove up to Durham with his family from London, so that they would be cared for by family if him and his wife got proper sick. But no other family stayed with them? And he was seen at a nearby castle?

Go and read :ph34r:.

This has just been dug up on Twitter from earlier in May.