talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Tottenham Hotspur Discussion

football forum

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Tielemans is a quality player. The Leicester lads might no more but I think he'd be looking for a Champions League club for his next move so might depend for Spurs on whether they sneak into the top four.

Indeed.

He's quality but the performances of the last 6 months have been absolutely honking. Typically performances of a player that has had his head turned. Contract talks aside, I expected him to be more professional and not let that affect him for so long. It genuinely would have been better for him to say 'I'm leaving at the end of the season, I want to play in the Champions League, but I will give my all for Leicester for the rest of the season'.

On the pitch before this contract stuff though, he's shown he can be class. Got a great eye for a pass, a calmness on the ball and loves a long-ranger. He's definitely good enough for a CL club and that level. Looks like he's running in treacle most of the time but he'll happily play a full 90 most games. It's actually mad how much he plays without a rest to be honest. 

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

You can keep your hands off Richarlison. Gordon has a lot of potential but currently too raw to be thinking about a step up. Godfrey is a fantastic athlete but we've let him down in terms of development over the past couple of seasons he's been here through playing him in all three positions across the back line to cover our terrible recruitment in the full back areas, plus a series of managerial changes. He's also had a couple of injuries and was dogged by Long Covid earlier this season. Still a lot of potential though.

Tielemans is a quality player. The Leicester lads might no more but I think he'd be looking for a Champions League club for his next move so might depend for Spurs on whether they sneak into the top four.

Comprehensive enough for me............thank you.

Spurs, back in the early sixties were the top team in the country because Bill Nicholson turned himself into the top manager. I've always maintained to be a top team again Spurs need a top name and lo and behold the old results are coming back. 2 wins against City, 2 draws against Liverpool, beat Arsenal and on the brink of the CL again. Support Conte Daniel and we'll do better next season.

On 20/12/2021 at 13:28, Cicero said:

That's why I back them to get 4th spot. 

Conte is very result oriented and it seems he already has the fans and players on his side, which is utterly massive in the grand scheme of things. As the cliché goes, his passion makes you want to go to war with him. 

Cicero knows 😎

On 13/05/2022 at 02:11, Chickasaw said:

Does this Spurs team really need a good clear out? Not so sure.

I think for them to satisfy Antonio Conte's ambitions as a Manager they'll need to make improvements. I dont think it requires a clear out but more of a bulk in squad quality.

Defensively they've been pretty good in recent weeks but I imagine Antonio Conte would like better wing backs and another center back. Emerson Royal's crossing has been so unpredictable you could tell against Arsenal that Conte has told him not to cross anymore. Burnley was the first time I watched Ryan Sessegnon and thought he looked like he could cause damage.

Further up the pitch it may just be a case of moving on Winks and Bergwijn and replacing them with better players for the purposes of competition.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

I think for them to satisfy Antonio Conte's ambitions as a Manager they'll need to make improvements. I dont think it requires a clear out but more of a bulk in squad quality.

Defensively they've been pretty good in recent weeks but I imagine Antonio Conte would like better wing backs and another center back. Emerson Royal's crossing has been so unpredictable you could tell against Arsenal that Conte has told him not to cross anymore. Burnley was the first time I watched Ryan Sessegnon and thought he looked like he could cause damage.

Further up the pitch it may just be a case of moving on Winks and Bergwijn and replacing them with better players for the purposes of competition.

Ok thank you TPF. Not sure I'd move on Bergwijn but certainly Winks and I've liked Sess's improvement this season.

29 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

@Stortswould be the best person to ask. I dont think he's a particularly big fan of Lucas Moura but has his fingers on the pulse over Spurs.

I travel Europe on a permanent basis so rarely get to see a match. Best I can do is listen to the radio so my knowledge of football isn't what it was or should be. I can see live feed on my laptop but can only judge from a distance.

On 13/05/2022 at 02:11, Chickasaw said:

Does this Spurs team really need a good clear out? Not so sure.

A clear out might be too strong a term but some players will need to go and some will need to come in, yes.

Conte has bought well in the Jan window but most of the success is that due to his quality of manager, he's been getting the absolute most out of the players he has which Nuno and Mourinho couldn't do. I think Doherty has earned a reprieve (although he needs competition) and Davies is a brilliant professional for the club but around four of five may need to be moved on. We don't get top four without Conte, basically, he's extracted everything that team has and a lot more to do it.

Kulusevski and Romero will sign for us (they have been on loan) and we will probably end up with around four more. A lot of made of the money we spend but the biggest problem is who we spend it on. Romero and the two in the Jan window have worked out but a lot of players we sign for a big fees, we're looking to move on a year or so later and that is a terrible way to run a club. It's not good just haphazardly throwing things at a wall and hoping they stick, our signings have to be planned out. I think they will be this time. The CL (providing no ridiculous result on Sunday) is a massive, massive thing just in terms of this.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tar-Mairon said:

A clear out might be too strong a term but some players will need to go and some will need to come in, yes.

Conte has bought well in the Jan window but most of the success is that due to his quality of manager, he's been getting the absolute most out of the players he has which Nuno and Mourinho couldn't do. I think Doherty has earned a reprieve (although he needs competition) and Davies is a brilliant professional for the club but around four of five may need to be moved on. We don't get top four without Conte, basically, he's extracted everything that team has and a lot more to do it.

Kulusevski and Romero will sign for us (they have been on loan) and we will probably end up with around four more. A lot of made of the money we spend but the biggest problem is who we spend it on. Romero and the two in the Jan window have worked out but a lot of players we sign for a big fees, we're looking to move on a year or so later and that is a terrible way to run a club. It's not good just haphazardly throwing things at a wall and hoping they stick, our signings have to be planned out. I think they will be this time. The CL (providing no ridiculous result on Sunday) is a massive, massive thing just in terms of this.

So, Lo Celso, Winks, Reguillon have to go? Who else? Thank you for that.

Oh it feels good to be a Spurs supporter this morning. CL qualification is something but nothing unless we do something in it. No point in failing at the group level to be demoted to The Europa. Come on Spurs, you have Antonio Conte. You reached the final with Poch who made a BIG mistake with team selection for the final so you can do it with the better coach that you have.

8 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

spurs giving away their budget.   prepare the milking

It's not really their budget though - some of it is going to go to investing in other areas of the club, rather than just transfer fees.

And in any case, it's not like they could keep the information private. It's not a loan to the club, it's the main shareholder putting in that money in exchange for convertible series A shares in Spurs (additional issued shares of a different class of share to "ordinary shares" that can either be converted to ordinary shares or another class of shares). These series A shares probably have additional voting rights that ordinary shares don't have.

You can see on here: https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/the-club/investor-relations/shareholder-information/ Tottenham are quite transparent about their ownership - ENIC owns 85.5% of the club, 14.5% are owned by others, probably a few percentage of the shares are owned by one or two banks or venture capital groups.

This sort of capital injection for convertible shares would require shareholder approval & additional investment from investors needs to be reported and there's likely share dilution going on to keep the ownership ratios the same - so that information's going to be 1.) documented in shareholder meeting minutes that venture capital groups and banks will need to have listed (if you invest in a venture capital group that's got shares in Spurs, they'll be pretty keen to tell you one of their investments is getting other investors to put money in); 2.) be reported to relevant football authorities as a capital injection of cash from investors.

Making an official statement is just good PR from Spurs. They've got a good record with being transparent and this keeps that up, it's good PR for fans who have been frustrated that billionaire owners didn't even put more money in while a new stadium was built and the first team stagnated even though they'd done something they'd never done in their history before - make it to the CL final. And the transparency is a good thing for other minority investors - it lets them know and trust they've made an investment the majority owners want to get a higher return on.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It's not really their budget though - some of it is going to go to investing in other areas of the club, rather than just transfer fees.

And in any case, it's not like they could keep the information private. It's not a loan to the club, it's the main shareholder putting in that money in exchange for convertible series A shares in Spurs (additional issued shares of a different class of share to "ordinary shares" that can either be converted to ordinary shares or another class of shares). These series A shares probably have additional voting rights that ordinary shares don't have.

You can see on here: https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/the-club/investor-relations/shareholder-information/ Tottenham are quite transparent about their ownership - ENIC owns 85.5% of the club, 14.5% are owned by others, probably a few percentage of the shares are owned by one or two banks or venture capital groups.

This sort of capital injection for convertible shares would require shareholder approval & additional investment from investors needs to be reported and there's likely share dilution going on to keep the ownership ratios the same - so that information's going to be 1.) documented in shareholder meeting minutes that venture capital groups and banks will need to have listed (if you invest in a venture capital group that's got shares in Spurs, they'll be pretty keen to tell you one of their investments is getting other investors to put money in); 2.) be reported to relevant football authorities as a capital injection of cash from investors.

Making an official statement is just good PR from Spurs. They've got a good record with being transparent and this keeps that up, it's good PR for fans who have been frustrated that billionaire owners didn't even put more money in while a new stadium was built and the first team stagnated even though they'd done something they'd never done in their history before - make it to the CL final. And the transparency is a good thing for other minority investors - it lets them know and trust they've made an investment the majority owners want to get a higher return on.

It has to be on the shareholder documents who are the shareholders,  so they are not being transparant it is just required by law. 

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

It has to be on the shareholder documents who are the shareholders,  so they are not being transparant it is just required by law. 

It’s not required by law to make a statement like this. It has to be reported but club did not have to be so transparent. As @Dr. Gonzosays it’s just good PR and it’s great for the club. 

• Upvote 1

So while Chelsea walk away with the most loved club in Europe award Spurs get the 'Most Improbable Win' award which obviously doesn't carry the same weight or prestige that ours does but I am sure they will take it... 

Tottenham's season has ended with an award for the Premier League's 'Most Improbable Comeback'.

It has been handed to Spurs for their incredible 3-2 victory over Leicester at the King Power Stadium back in January.

Four minutes into stoppage time, Antonio Conte's side were 2-1 down, only for Steven Bergwijn to score in the 95th and 97th minute to clinch three points - which ultimately proved pivotal in the race for Champions League qualification.

Spurs claimed the inaugural award on the basis that their 0.02% chance, was the lowest probability of victory of any moment from any game in the Premier League this season.

Their award win got a mixed reaction on social media in response to the Premier League's official account.

One user commented: 'Warra (what a)  trophy for Spurs', while another used wrote: 'Since when did the Premier League turn into an award show? Swear they’ve created a dozen new categories this season.'

Tottenham win the Premier League's 'Most Improbable Comeback' award (msn.com)

• Administrator
9 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

If Spurs win the 'Most Improbable Win' does that mean Leicester are going to win the 'Most Improbable Loss' award?? 

Nah we've won enough proper trophies recently to not worry about small time things like this ;)