talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

David Raya Completes Move to Arsenal

Currently not meeting our valuation, can’t imagine we keep him for next season with Flekken at the club, but we’re certainly in a strong position with a replacement already in house. Raya is easily in the top 3 keepers in the league and United and Spurs have calamities between the sticks.

Imagine the deal gets done at around £35m.

Edited by Danny

• Subscriber

Pickford won't go for anywhere near that cheap. Just signed a new long-term deal and has no interest in leaving Everton. If those clubs don't want to pay £40m for Raya they won't be dishing out the price required to take Pickford from us.

3 hours ago, Stan said:

Reckon Spurs might try and get Pickford it Raya isn't possible. 

Would be mad to buy an inferior keeper for double the price. Raya would be going for a lot more than this if he had more years on his contract. Ultimately it will come down to how much they want a world class keeper, £40m is a great price for one.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Danny said:

Would be mad to buy an inferior keeper for double the price. Raya would be going for a lot more than this if he had more years on his contract. Ultimately it will come down to how much they want a world class keeper, £40m is a great price for one.

I worry about his shot stopping if I’m honest, the metrics on it are not particularly great. Very good ‘keeper with his feet but underlying numbers are a slight concern for me. 

I think he’s the one we want though and will probably settle on something around the £25-30 mill mark with some add ons. Just depends if bigger fish decide to make a move also

Can't say I'm in agreement with the valuation, especially not with a year left, that's crazy talk. Seems absolutely daft for a world class bloke that's not even his country's first choice to sign for a fee that high.

All I'm going to say though is that Newcastle spending £10m on Nick Pope last season looks amazing business now in hindsight.

Thought it was a clever signing at the time but even more so now when you see the prices being banded about for keepers that in my personal opinion, are being massively overvalued.

Edited by Lucas

54 minutes ago, Storts said:

I worry about his shot stopping if I’m honest, the metrics on it are not particularly great. Very good ‘keeper with his feet but underlying numbers are a slight concern for me. 

I think he’s the one we want though and will probably settle on something around the £25-30 mill mark with some add ons. Just depends if bigger fish decide to make a move also

Can’t say I’ve seen those numbers but they don’t come across when watching him play. With that said his kicking is his best attribute, but he’s very quick to react in difficult situations. Has kept an untold amount of clear goals out for us the last two seasons.

23 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Can't say I'm in agreement with the valuation, especially not with a year left, that's crazy talk. Seems absolutely daft for a world class bloke that's not even his country's first choice to sign for a fee that high.

All I'm going to say though is that Newcastle spending £10m on Nick Pope last season looks amazing business now in hindsight.

Thought it was a clever signing at the time but even more so now when you see the prices being banded about for keepers that in my personal opinion, are being massively overvalued.

He is levels above Pope.

7 minutes ago, Danny said:

He is levels above Pope.

And Alisson is levels above Raya but that's a pointless statement too because you didn't mention Alisson as much as I didn't say Pope was better. 

The point which has been overlooked, is that for £10m, Newcastle got far more out that deal. Great business.

If United or Spurs pay quadruple that, I'd consider that over the odds. The difference between the two isn't that vast.

I know what I'd rather spend and it's not splashing £40m odd on Spain's Number Two or Three with a year left on his contract.

Edited by Lucas

6 minutes ago, Lucas said:

And Alisson is levels above Raya but that's a pointless statement too because you didn't mention Alisson as much as I didn't say Pope was better. 

The point which has been overlooked, is that for £10m, Newcastle got far more out that deal. Great business.

If United or Spurs pay quadruple that, I'd consider that over the odds. The difference between the two isn't that vast.

I know what I'd rather spend and it's not splashing £40m odd on Spain's Number Two or Three with a year left on his contract.

£30m more on a superior keeper is hardly not getting good business though. Raya is worth £60m-£80m add ons depending, getting him for £40m is still a good signing.

14 minutes ago, Danny said:

£30m more on a superior keeper is hardly not getting good business though. Raya is worth £60m-£80m add ons depending, getting him for £40m is still a good signing.

I wouldn't say its good business. I think Raya is a very good keeper, but those prices are getting ridiculous. There are a lot of 'very good keeper's' in the world, very few are 'World Class' mind.

£30m is the absolute tops I'd go if you felt that would solve a position for the next 5 years.

Look, both clubs know you have a player that doesn't want to be there. He's made his intentions clear and if needs be, he'll walk for free next season. You've brought in a replacement too because you are prepared for it.

It's a question of how desperate both clubs are now and how much of a priority he is to them.

They can play hardball and get him for as cheap as they can or if they desperately want him enough, they'll just pay pretty much what you ask but will have paid over the odds doing so. They might justify saying that the value will repay itself back.

But if you ask me is £40m for Raya worth it, one year left, for me, no it's not. I think his valuation is rated too high and it only makes me curious to know if he was £80m rated, what Liverpool would ask for Allison.

Edited by Lucas

Just now, Lucas said:

I wouldn't say its good business. I think Raya is a very good keeper, but those prices are getting ridiculous. £30m is the absolute tops I'd go if you felt that would solve a position for the next 5 years.

Look, both clubs know you have a player that doesn't want to be there. He's made his intentions clear and if needs be, he'll walk for free next season. You've brought in a replacement too because you are prepared for it.

It's a question of how desperate both clubs are now and how much of a priority he is to them.

They can play hardball and get him for as cheap as they can or if they desperately want him enough, they'll just pay pretty much what you ask but will have paid over the odds doing so.

Good business in terms of his contract no, good business in having one of the best keepers in the league tied up for £30m-£40m for the next 5 years, incredibly good business. Especially when Spurs’ defence is what it is.

Again I think we sell closer to £30m than £40m, but I am hearing from a club ITK that we’re pretty set on the £40m valuation. It is a very fair price to pay for someone as good as Raya.

1 hour ago, Storts said:

Read he's actually conceded more goals outside the box than Kepa. 

Shocking. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Apparently talks have officially opened now. I feel like this is a good opportunity for the club, meet somewhere around the £30-£35m mark now we’re not selling to a domestic rival and have it on record that we have progressed a player to a club like Bayern, which would help our recruitment efforts tenfold.

• The title was changed to David Raya - Bayern, Arsenal Interested
23 hours ago, Stan said:

Considering how good Ramsdale is, it's quite an expensive upgrade...

He's possibly the weakest link in this very strong Arsenal squad. Sort of harsh on him, tbh, but being a first team keeper at a top club does put you under a lot more pressure and scrutiny than you otherwise would be facing in all honesty. It would be ruthless of Arteta to replace him after the season they've had.

And tbh, I thought his comments of "I thought the title race would be easy" are sort of indicative that he's possibly not got the right sort of mentality for a side that wants to win the title. When you're up against the machine that is Pep Guardiola's City, there's no reason for any player to think winning a title race would be easy. Thought it was a ridiculous thing to say in the middle of the race and as a fairly competitive person, but nowhere near competitive as a professional athlete, I thought "well if I'm a City player... I'm going to remember this quote and show him just how not easy it is." And honestly with Arsenal, they're loaded with quality and Arteta's done a great job in removing some of the mental weaknesses that have had Arsenal develop a reputation for being absolute bottlers.

I'd argue Arteta replacing him would be ruthless, but that sort of ruthlessness is definitely what's needed to upgrade on a very strong side. There's not much holding Arsenal back from being a title winning side, they came very close already. It's going to be the tough decisions to upgrade on a very strong side, even if it means replacing a keeper that I'd say is good but not great.

15 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

He's possibly the weakest link in this very strong Arsenal squad. Sort of harsh on him, tbh, but being a first team keeper at a top club does put you under a lot more pressure and scrutiny than you otherwise would be facing in all honesty. It would be ruthless of Arteta to replace him after the season they've had.

And tbh, I thought his comments of "I thought the title race would be easy" are sort of indicative that he's possibly not got the right sort of mentality for a side that wants to win the title. When you're up against the machine that is Pep Guardiola's City, there's no reason for any player to think winning a title race would be easy. Thought it was a ridiculous thing to say in the middle of the race and as a fairly competitive person, but nowhere near competitive as a professional athlete, I thought "well if I'm a City player... I'm going to remember this quote and show him just how not easy it is." And honestly with Arsenal, they're loaded with quality and Arteta's done a great job in removing some of the mental weaknesses that have had Arsenal develop a reputation for being absolute bottlers.

I'd argue Arteta replacing him would be ruthless, but that sort of ruthlessness is definitely what's needed to upgrade on a very strong side. There's not much holding Arsenal back from being a title winning side, they came very close already. It's going to be the tough decisions to upgrade on a very strong side, even if it means replacing a keeper that I'd say is good but not great.

If he was head and shoulders better than him I'd understand but there is nothing in it for me. 

I find it totally bizarre and I question if something has happened at training between Arteta and Ramsdale that has sparked this decision.

Just now, Devil said:

If he was head and shoulders better than him I'd understand but there is nothing in it for me. 

I find it totally bizarre and I question if something has happened at training between Arteta and Ramsdale that has sparked this decision.

Apparently Arsenal's goalkeeping coach has worked with him before and really likes him, so it could just be that. I don't think it's all that bizarre tbh, it's just unfortunate for Arsenal that their weakest link in a squad that's very very strong, imo, is their starting keeper who isn't a bad player and who is someone they brought in fairly recently. They weren't that far from the title last season and even if Raya performs just marginally better than Ramsdale in Arsenal's system, that margin could be just enough for them to successfully have brought the title back to North London.

10 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Apparently Arsenal's goalkeeping coach has worked with him before and really likes him, so it could just be that. I don't think it's all that bizarre tbh, it's just unfortunate for Arsenal that their weakest link in a squad that's very very strong, imo, is their starting keeper who isn't a bad player and who is someone they brought in fairly recently. They weren't that far from the title last season and even if Raya performs just marginally better than Ramsdale in Arsenal's system, that margin could be just enough for them to successfully have brought the title back to North London.

Ramsdale on the move again then?

Can't see him playing second fiddle for more than a season myself. 

4 minutes ago, Devil said:

Ramsdale on the move again then?

Can't see him playing second fiddle for more than a season myself. 

Yeah, I think he'd probably be on the move again... I can't see him wanting to sit on a bench for even a part of the season. He's good enough to be a first team regular and I don't think there's that much between him and Pickford for the England side, so he'll want to play as much as he can to try to claim being the England #1 - especially if Everton look shite again.

• The title was changed to David Raya - Deal Agreed w/ Arsenal
  • The title was changed to David Raya Completes Move to Arsenal