talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Brennan Johnson - Signs for Spurs

• 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Brennan Johnson - Forest Reject Brentford Bid

We've been after Johnson for a good while now, we're after explosive forwards and have a number of them in Mbeumo, Schade, Lewis-Potter and Wissa. Johnson would fit in perfectly, just depends how much money we're willing to spend on him. If you can get him to 20+ goals in the league then you have an £80m-£100m player there, I wonder if we get a deal done at around £40m-£45m.

13 hours ago, Storts said:

Why would Johnson leave Forest for Brentford? Makes no sense to me. Sideways move at best 

It's not even a sideways move is a backward move as long as they are in the same league. 

Would make zero sense to me.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Storts said:

Why would Johnson leave Forest for Brentford? Makes no sense to me. Sideways move at best 

Since Brentford were promoted to The Championship, they've finished higher than Nottingham Forest 8 times out of a possible 9. It's certainly a step forward. 

1 hour ago, Devil said:

It's not even a sideways move is a backward move as long as they are in the same league. 

Would make zero sense to me.

Why would you want to join a club with a better manager, better players, better coaching staff, better director of football, better owner and a better chance of increasing your goal/assist contributions in a single season that can then give you better options for a transfer to Champions League clubs.

Edited by Danny

6 hours ago, Danny said:

Why would you want to join a club with a better manager, better players, better coaching staff, better director of football, better owner and a better chance of increasing your goal/assist contributions in a single season that can then give you better options for a transfer to Champions League clubs.

You've had a couple of good seasons in the Premier League, let's not get ahead of yourself. 

The reason being Forest are a double winning European Cup winning club that dwarf tiny Brentford.

Bournemouth, Brentford and Brighton, all well run football clubs but that doesn't mean they are big. I'd rather play for Forest whilst they are Premier League outfit.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Devil said:

You've had a couple of good seasons in the Premier League, let's not get ahead of yourself. 

But when you look at the clubs now, @Dannyisn't wrong with what he lists. Brentford are extremely well-run. 

Historically of course Forest hold that higher rank, but if you're talking history, it probably should be taken into account that Forest were also out of the PL for 20+ years. 

Just now, Stan said:

But when you look at the clubs now, @Dannyisn't wrong with what he lists. Brentford are extremely well-run. 

Historically of course Forest hold that higher rank, but if you're talking history, it probably should be taken into account that Forest were also out of the PL for 20+ years. 

The same 20 years Brentford have hardly been relevant. 

I've nothing against Brentford or any of these tiny clubs that are well run come up and do really well. They've been fantastic as we know only too well, they destroyed us.

All I'm saying if I'm a player and I have a choice between the two I'd be looking at Forest and thinking I'd rather see where these are going than Brentford. 

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, Devil said:

The same 20 years Brentford have hardly been relevant. 

I've nothing against Brentford or any of these tiny clubs that are well run come up and do really well. They've been fantastic as we know only too well, they destroyed us.

All I'm saying if I'm a player and I have a choice between the two I'd be looking at Forest and thinking I'd rather see where these are going than Brentford. 

True, but if you're a player now Brentford are a more attractive proposition than Forest. 

Brentford have far more about them than Forest. At least with Brentford you're not up against 50 players for a first team spot xD

28 minutes ago, Stan said:

True, but if you're a player now Brentford are a more attractive proposition than Forest. 

Brentford have far more about them than Forest. At least with Brentford you're not up against 50 players for a first team spot xD

Come on mate, you can't seriously be comparing Nottingham Forest and Brentford.

Sheffield Wednesday have been out of the Premier League for a nearly the same period but you'd also say if they were a Premier League club they'd dwarf Brentford.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
Just now, Devil said:

Sheffield Wednesday have been out of the Premier League for a nearly the same period but you'd also say if they were a Premier League club they'd dwarf Brentford.

Yeah but that's not what we're discussing, right? 

If you had a choice of club to go to right now, between Forest and Brentford, I think it'd be foolish to choose the former. The latter are on an upward trajectory. 

The club stature might be different, but that's not the argument I thought lol

Just because a club is historically bigger than another, doesn't mean they'd always be the ones to move to. Forest are bigger than Brighton - would you choose the former still, even though Brighton are in Europe, are well run, play some decent football, and are also on an upward trajectory? 

1 hour ago, Devil said:

The reason being Forest are a double winning European Cup winning club that dwarf tiny Brentford.

Bournemouth, Brentford and Brighton, all well run football clubs but that doesn't mean they are big. I'd rather play for Forest whilst they are Premier League outfit.

Well if he wants to become a better player, play with better players at a better club then he joins us. If he doesn’t then he stays put.

Forest are a bigger, more prestigous club, no doubt. 

However, Forest are shit. They got hugely lucky to avoid the drop last season and having played and beat them in a friendly Thursday night, it only acted as a timely reminder just how much we let them off the hook.

I'm quite convinced they will go down this season and there's nothing for me to suggest they will build, improve and become established in the division, especially after their scattergun approach last season. I'm pretty sure that will hinder them this season.

Brentford could well have 3 or 4 more seasons just hovering anywhere from 10th to 16th but whilst I don't think they are one of the best footballing sides in the division, they are by far a better footballing than Forest.

They have had a couple seasons up now, even without Toney you'd not really consider them for the drop this year, they have an identity about their play, they are physical but they do the basics very well and play smart. They are tough to beat and I'd also say some teams find goibg to their ground a bit difficult because it feels smaller but the fans feel closer to the pitch.

For a team that likes to counter, Johnson would do well there I think playing in one of the front three spots.

Unless he gets a solid offer from someone like a Villa (which is clearly a club on the up) I see nothing wrong with joining Brentford. As good as he is, I think there's question marks just how well he'd fit into a bigger team. Definitely still has weaknesses to his game.

Edited by Lucas

15 hours ago, Devil said:

Sheffield Wednesday are a bigger club than Crystal Palace.

Barry Bannan is a legend in modern times for Sheffield Wednesday, but I imagine he'd walk bare foot over broken glass to play for us again.

Modern footballers will put there own career trajectory ahead of any historic achievements made by a club. The size of a club may be a determining factor if both clubs are at a similar level with similar aspirations (ie a player has to chose between domestic trophy winning Leicester and playoff finalists Coventry when both clubs offer the same wage packet), but that situation wouldn't apply with Brentford and Forest.

• The title was changed to Brennan Johnson - Tottenham Join Race for Striker
  • 2 weeks later...

West Ham have bid apparently. Will be difficult to compete with them as they have European football to offer, our only hope is that our track record of developing players + our continued interest in Johnson that spans 5 transfers windows now might sway him. His dad is apparently keen he joins us instead of staying at Forest.

But yeah, who knows, we have an alternative in Nicolas Gonzalez at Fiorentina who we are also trying to sign. Feel like this will run quite close to deadline day.

• The title was changed to Brennan Johnson - Forest Set £40m Asking Price
  • Administrator

Chelsea interested

Chelsea’s transfer focus has been on adding attacking players and they have added Brennan Johnson to their list of targets and held initial talks with Nottingham Forest over a move for the winger.

It has been a busy summer for Chelsea, whose quest to balance the books is likely to lead them to agree to sell the 18-year-old left-back Lewis Hall to Newcastle for an initial £28m, and Johnson is one of several offensive players on their shortlist.

Discussions over Johnson are at an early stage. The possibility of including players as part of a deal for the versatile Wales international have been discussed with Forest, who value the 22-year-old at about £45m

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/aug/17/chelsea-brennan-johnson-nottingham-forest-lewis-hall-newcastle

As are Spurs & Brentford still

All of Tottenham Hotspur, Chelsea and Brentford are considering a move for the young wide player, as a series of others wait to see what is next.

While Brentford have the strongest interest, and can make the strongest case by guaranteeing Johnson first-team football as a main player in the team, Forest are reluctant to sell to the west London club as they seem as a rival for mid-table survival.

Chelsea have recently moved onto the player after failing in a bid for Crystal Palace’s Michael Olise, since Mauricio Pochettino still wants to bolster his forward line.

Tottenham have been trailing Johnson for longer, and have the recent income of the £120m sale of Harry Kane.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/nottingham-forest-set-high-price-for-brennan-johnson-b2394741.html

• The title was changed to Brennan Johnson - Close to Completing Spurs Move
  • The title was changed to Brennan Johnson - Signs for Spurs