talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2023/24 Gameweek 2 - 18-21st August, 2023

football forum

• Administrator

How was Bournemouth's disallowed goal before their opener deemed 'not deliberate' by VAR? The Liverpool player literally goes to intercept it? 

Diaz is quality, took his goal so calmly. 

The Mac Allister red card is just a downright joke. Not much more you can say other than Tierney has had an absolute mare. Like, what are the officials thinking?! Yellow at best. 

8 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Tierney's got a record that I think goes beyond incompetence. He's biased.

Met him and Coote once at a pub in Kyoto… Tierney seemed arrogant then and was only refereeing lower leagues. Coote seemed nice. Anyway no surprises with how Tierney has generally gone. 

Edited by Toinho

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Danny said:

I think Fulham could be in big trouble. Conceded 2.8 xG against us last weekend or something in that ball park.

As for Man Utd, seen parts but not all of their first two games and think they've been pretty shocking in both. Comfortable top six finish still because they'll always be able to afford the £60m-£90m match winners even if they don't deliver it every weekend. Agree with the questions over whether Ten Hag can build more than a dysfunctional team with the individual quality that allows them to bounce between top 4 and top 6 depending on other teams because that's no more or less than what several "failed" managers that preceded him have achieved.

Spurs I've also seen most but not all of their first two games. Pretty solid I think. Richarlison isn't a number 9 but I do think he's looked good in their build up play. He's making the wrong runs in the box though, "hiding" at the back post instead of being aggressive and getting across his marker. Definitely seems low on confidence and they're going to need to sort that out if he's being tasked with effectively trying to replace Kane.

5 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

I think Fulham could be in big trouble. Conceded 2.8 xG against us last weekend or something in that ball park.

As for Man Utd, seen parts but not all of their first two games and think they've been pretty shocking in both. Comfortable top six finish still because they'll always be able to afford the £60m-£90m match winners even if they don't deliver it every weekend. Agree with the questions over whether Ten Hag can build more than a dysfunctional team with the individual quality that allows them to bounce between top 4 and top 6 depending on other teams because that's no more or less than what several "failed" managers that preceded him have achieved.

Spurs I've also seen most but not all of their first two games. Pretty solid I think. Richarlison isn't a number 9 but I do think he's looked good in their build up play. He's making the wrong runs in the box though, "hiding" at the back post instead of being aggressive and getting across his marker. Definitely seems low on confidence and they're going to need to sort that out if he's being tasked with effectively trying to replace Kane.

Yeah they don’t seem to have the same incision as they did last season. Feel like Jimenez struggled at Wolves and so signing him was a strange one. I don’t rate Robinson at all and Diop seems to be hit or miss. They’re lucky that there maybe 3 worse teams than them already this season

No qualms about last night.

We could have perhaps shown more ambition going forward but that would have just left holes at the back. It’s a tough one to get right.

Two games in and we’ve already played the only game I had written off as a defeat.

• Subscriber

Slow start from both teams but Villa lead. Not the first time we've let Diaby run at our defence from the gap between defence and midfield and we've just backed off and that's what happens when you just let teams repeatedly run into your penalty area.

• Subscriber

What match is this co-commentator watching? I've seen three replays and not one of them shows Pickford make contact with Watkins yet apparently he "clearly wiped him out". An absolute farce when you look at what Onana got away with on Monday night. 

• Subscriber

Why this football club needs a wake up call over the past two seasons is beyond me. It used to be only the Champions League teams who would be this comfortable against us.

All of the Everton podcasts and Twitter accounts etc have been saying all summer, especially after the fixtures came out and we had a favourable start, that we can't do what we did last season and wait until 4-5 games have passed to finish our recruitment. Here we are in the second week of the season with Keane still starting for us, a centre midfielder on the right wing and a wide forward coming on to replace Calvert-Lewin because we still haven't signed a backup striker fit for purpose. McNeil's injury is bad luck but apart from that there's no excuse.

The recruitment team need to either pay up for Gnonto and Adams this week or find someone else. These players have been linked all summer, what are we waiting for now? The manager needs to let it go with Michael Keane and put Branthwaite into the team alongside Tarkowski. The whole coaching team and squad needs to be having a good hard look in the mirror as well having a whole week to prepare for this fixture and needing to bounce back from a clumsy opening day defeat only to serve that up in the first half. 

Expected to lose today which is bad enough but the manner of the performance is unacceptable.

• Subscriber

Easiest 4-0 win (assuming they don't get another) that any team across the country will get all season.

Everton are an inept shower of cunts from the boardroom down to the pitch and I already can't be arsed with this season. 

1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

Easiest 4-0 win (assuming they don't get another) that any team across the country will get all season.

Everton are an inept shower of cunts from the boardroom down to the pitch and I already can't be arsed with this season. 

Genuinely regretting my decision to renew. Would happily just forget all about this season.

Still feels difficult to quite know what to make of, or expect of Villa. Last week felt harsh at one of the toughest places to go. This felt like it was less of a challenge than Hibs will put up in the next few midweeks. In the John McGinn derby. And Coutinho joins the injury list. Who was starting to seem like a clear & obvious Euro starter.

• The topic was unpinned