talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

Yeah, I mean with 10 games to go it looked like we had no chance of securing 4th, never mind 3rd. But Klopp and his staff found a winning solution and rallied to win 8 and draw 2 to do just that. So yeah, it is a bit strange saying Davies should have been thrown into the team as some sort of token gesture 🤔 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Yeah, I mean with 10 games to go it looked like we had no chance of securing 4th, never mind 3rd. But Klopp and his staff found a winning solution and rallied to win 8 and draw 2 to do just that. So yeah, it is a bit strange saying Davies should have been thrown into the team as some sort of token gesture 🤔 

Yeah there's that as well! xD

So now Shaqiri has officially left, and the club are looking for suitors for Origi my question is what we plan on doing when Salah & Mane fuck off for a month for the African Cup Of Nations? 

I really hope to see at least one attacking option brought in before the window shuts. If not we go into those games with Minamino, Ox and two teenagers as our options alongside Jota & Firmino. 

8 minutes ago, Rick said:

So now Shaqiri has officially left, and the club are looking for suitors for Origi my question is what we plan on doing when Salah & Mane fuck off for a month for the African Cup Of Nations? 

I really hope to see at least one attacking option brought in before the window shuts. If not we go into those games with Minamino, Ox and two teenagers as our options alongside Jota & Firmino. 

I wouldn't get your hopes too high.

Most of our tier 1 journos are saying we're probably not bringing anyone in. They could be just being told to not get anyone's hopes up and then BOOM surprise signing (it's happened before) - but I'm not expecting anyone coming in.

I also doubt we get Origi off to another club, although I think he really ought to be moving to a club where he can play more. I know he's never really been the same player since his bad injury, but if he plays more he might find himself developing a bit more as a player instead of this period of stagnation he's found himself in.

2 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I don't think the club will be panicked into signing someone because Mane and Salah will miss two league games. As always, if the right player is available then they'll get someone in

Two games? 

Unless a player becomes available at the right price that we simply can't turn our back on, I don't think we will sign anyone to be honest, and I'm not sure I want us to. 

Harvey Elliott obviously has bags and bags of potential and I'm really excited about seeing him develop. I don't really want to see that development slowed down to be honest. 

Mane, Salah, Jota and Bobby will play nearly every league and CL games, so who do we bring in anyway? Not many players will want to come here knowing they will spend a large chunk of their time on the bench. 

In short... I don't think we need anyone else.

13 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Unless a player becomes available at the right price that we simply can't turn our back on, I don't think we will sign anyone to be honest, and I'm not sure I want us to. 

Harvey Elliott obviously has bags and bags of potential and I'm really excited about seeing him develop. I don't really want to see that development slowed down to be honest. 

Mane, Salah, Jota and Bobby will play nearly every league and CL games, so who do we bring in anyway? Not many players will want to come here knowing they will spend a large chunk of their time on the bench. 

4 players only in a 60 game + season is a recipe for disaster, particularly when us, City, and even United have loads of depth in attack. Not to mention AFCON where Salah and Mane will be gone. 

If true, I don't understand how your owners expect Klopp to succeed. 

Edited by Cicero

11 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I think we'll see Harvey Elliot in midfield more than as part of the front 3 tbh. He doesn't really have the same sort of pace you'd expect of Mane, Salah, and Jota... and I have no idea how he'd do in the Firmino role - but that's a very hard role for any player to fill and I think the Ox & Minamino would be ahead of him in that position tbh.

I think we need more depth in case of emergency, if we're going to be wanting to keep up with City or Chelsea. Because I think we've got one of the best XIs in Europe when everyone is fit and in form... but we've not got great depth in attack tbh (depth in midfield is actually pretty decent, although we're relying on a lot of injury prone players imo).

But I think FSG are hoping for a less injury ridden season than last season and will be hoping we can get through the season without too much trouble. 

11 minutes ago, Cicero said:

4 players only in a 60 game + season is a recipe for disaster, particularly when us, City, and even United have loads of depth in attack. 

We are getting rid of squad players and not replacing them. It’s like they have learned nothing from last season. I’m fed up of debating it on here, because nobody seems to think of the “what if?” scenarios. Had the same push back last summer when we let Lovren go, was told I was being spoilt by wanting another quality centre half in, look what happened there when our two injury prone centre backs ended up injured (Van Dijk’s you can’t account for).

We lose Salah, Jota or Mane in that forward line we have very little quality to come in. I’m not listening to any bollocks about us being too skint either, because that’s bullshit. Yes, we have signed Konate, but that’s been offset by player sales. Yes, we have extended contracts and given pay rises but that should be covered by the new Nike deal and other new commercial partners we have. The prize money for qualifying for champions league football, the prize money for winning the league, the prize money for winning the champions leagues. Very little investment relative to the money brought in through performing in those competitions. Henry and co showed their greed in the super league debacle, so I don’t think it’s too outrageous to say that their greed is responsible for us having a much weaker squad than all three teams we are competing with. 

I am dreading when Klopp leaves us in a couple of years. He squeezes every single ounce of this squad, he is the prime reason we have kept us near those three I have mentioned. 

Edited by Rick
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Cicero said:

4 players only in a 60 game + season is a recipe for disaster, particularly when us, City, and even United have loads of depth in attack. Not to mention AFCON where Salah and Mane will be gone. 

If true, I don't understand how your owners expect Klopp to succeed. 

None of them will play close to 60 games, even if Liverpool go all the way in the Champions League. They'll get the domestic cup games off

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

None of them will play close to 60 games, even if Liverpool go all the way in the Champions League. They'll get the domestic cup games off

even if you play top-half PL teams?

5 minutes ago, Stan said:

Yeah, I think it's pretty clear that while we're going to go for the league and CL... the domestic cups are a bit of an afterthought for us under FSG. If we get far with kids, we'll probably begin to take it a bit more seriously - but for the most part, I think it doesn't matter who the opposition is, we'll likely rest the first team and go with a fairly youthful side.

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Yeah. It's the reason we go out fairly early each year. Always seem to draw a top half PL team in the third or fourth round. The only difference might be if we draw another top four side. 

Balancing the League and CL is going to be difficult with only 4 attacking players. Add the winter period when we are playing 3 games a week, or when Salah and Mane fuck off to AFCON and Jota and Firmino have more exposure to injury and fatigue. 

Just a recipe for disaster. 

If we get Salah to sign long term next, I think we've done pretty well this summer even with just one signing (although a part of me is still hopeful we add someone else in attack). Keeping ahold of our best players and guaranteeing that if someone is going to try sign them, we'll get a shitload of money - it's something we haven't really be able to do for a long time.

6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

If we get Salah to sign long term next, I think we've done pretty well this summer even with just one signing (although a part of me is still hopeful we add someone else in attack). Keeping ahold of our best players and guaranteeing that if someone is going to try sign them, we'll get a shitload of money - it's something we haven't really be able to do for a long time.

Salah, Mane and Henderson all up in 2023. Hopefully get all three sorted 

• Upvote 1