talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

1 hour ago, Mel81x said:

TBH most of the others are a bit shit considering the kind of football they have their teams playing. But who would have likely come and replaced Klopp that easily anyways and this includes Xabi. It was always going to be a rebuild road at the end of the season and now it's just a harder rebuild road. 

The 2 other names our credible journos have linked us with are Amorim (who I honestly know nothing about, so maybe he's very good - he's got a pretty shit record in Europe though if I recall) and De Zerbi, who's football I generally like... but I also get Brendan Rodgers-ish vibes from him. Maybe that's misplaced. Neither really fill me with the same kind of optimism and confidence as Xabi - but maybe it's for the best because filling Klopp's shoes will be immensely difficult and it would be sad if fans turn on Alonso if things don't go well.

I want Nagelsman now. He’s the only one who I’d be excited to see. His firing from Bayern was farcical, so I don’t just him from that. Young, with a proven track record.

11 hours ago, Rick said:

I want Nagelsman now. He’s the only one who I’d be excited to see. His firing from Bayern was farcical, so I don’t just him from that. Young, with a proven track record.

I think he’d be a disaster tbh. His man management is more Rafa than Klopp, I don’t think that works out long term in 2024 with player power and people having very sensitive feelings.

40 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think he’d be a disaster tbh. His man management is more Rafa than Klopp, I don’t think that works out long term in 2024 with player power and people having very sensitive feelings.

Are any of the candidates like Klopp in that ‘fatherly’ managing style? I think whoever we get, the players will get a real shock to the system. We are going to learn a lot about our own players in the coming 18 months. 

5 hours ago, Rick said:

Are any of the candidates like Klopp in that ‘fatherly’ managing style? I think whoever we get, the players will get a real shock to the system. We are going to learn a lot about our own players in the coming 18 months. 

Nah I don’t think so. Everyone we’ve been linked with is a massive massive step down from Klopp, it’s inevitable.

I think whoever comes in after him basically has an impossible job so we should be doing whatever we can to make the transition go as smoothly as possible.

I'd like to see De Zerbi get a go at a proper good squad that isn't depleted every Summer.

At Brighton he's had to contend with losing Trossard, Caicedo, Mac Allister and Colwill. I think for a lot of the players who have stepped up as replacements, it's too soon in their careers to be expected to achieve the same results as their predecessors. Maybe next season, maybe the season after. Maybe it could have been this season if they were playing 1 game a week, but with the Europa League the squad becomes stretched, you lose training days and it can be difficult to build momentum if fixture congestion contributes to unexpected losses. Unlike Liverpool, Brighton don't have players like Salah or Trent to pull them through a tough stretch.

If De Zerbi gets the job I think there will need to be a degree of patience until he gets the players in to play his system.

I think Brighton will be content in getting compensation for him as long as Thiago Motta is interested in the job. That's about as like for like as a managerial replacement as you could ask for.

3 minutes ago, Danny said:

I'd like to see De Zerbi get a go at a proper good squad that isn't depleted every Summer.

At Brighton he's had to contend with losing Trossard, Caicedo, Mac Allister and Colwill. I think for a lot of the players who have stepped up as replacements, it's too soon in their careers to be expected to achieve the same results as their predecessors. Maybe next season, maybe the season after. Maybe it could have been this season if they were playing 1 game a week, but with the Europa League the squad becomes stretched, you lose training days and it can be difficult to build momentum if fixture congestion contributes to unexpected losses. Unlike Liverpool, Brighton don't have players like Salah or Trent to pull them through a tough stretch.

If he ends up our manager he should get used to injuries and throwing kids into big matches.

I like his football but he just comes across a bit of the same personality as Rodgers. A bit stubborn, not as pragmatic.

I think I’d prefer him to the Portuguese guy though. 

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

If he ends up our manager he should get used to injuries and throwing kids into big matches.

I like his football but he just comes across a bit of the same personality as Rodgers. A bit stubborn, not as pragmatic.

I think I’d prefer him to the Portuguese guy though. 

You think Klopp is pragmatic??

3 minutes ago, Danny said:

You think Klopp is pragmatic??

He’s become a lot more pragmatic compared to his first few seasons with us & we’ve been better for it. He’s a hell of a lot more pragmatic than Rodgers ever was for us.

I think a good manager should be able to have an adaptable general philosophy than a rigid philosophy they will stick to even when it clearly isn’t working all the time.

9 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

He’s become a lot more pragmatic compared to his first few seasons with us & we’ve been better for it. He’s a hell of a lot more pragmatic than Rodgers ever was for us.

I think a good manager should be able to have an adaptable general philosophy than a rigid philosophy they will stick to even when it clearly isn’t working all the time.

Wasn’t very pragmatic in the Champions League final against Madrid when Ancelotti said he and you were too predictable and so your style became easy to play against.

I think you’re being unfair comparing De Zerbi to Rogers, the football De Zerbi has had Brighton playing is far beyond the defensive possession based game Rogers had at Swansea.

Should take into consideration the impact De Zerbi has left on his former clubs and players. Only praise. 

De Zerbi at a club that keeps a hold of his best players would be a sight to see. 

2 hours ago, Danny said:

Wasn’t very pragmatic in the Champions League final against Madrid when Ancelotti said he and you were too predictable and so your style became easy to play against.

I think you’re being unfair comparing De Zerbi to Rogers, the football De Zerbi has had Brighton playing is far beyond the defensive possession based game Rogers had at Swansea.

Yeah but there’s very few managers who are as good in the CL as Ancelotti, let alone with teams as good as the ones he’s won CLs with.

Idk it’s hard to feel excited about any of the names we’ve been linked with really. They all seem like pretty massive downgrades.

I’m not too optimistic about the near future.

• Administrator

Does anyone wonder if Liverpool will have the same kind of lull or downturn in achievements like when Fergie left Man Utd? 

Klopp built up such an empire and platform of success and glory, and then the shoes were so big to fill for the next man in it was almost impossible for the new manager to replicate it. I also wonder how patient Liverpool fans will be with the new manager. Will they give him time to bed in and make the transition, if he doesn't hit the ground running for instance? 

Could be Liverpool, Man United & Chelsea all looking for a manager. Liverpool have the advantage to openly approach Klopp's replacement. And there is pressure to get it right. A top 5 of Man City, Arsenal, Spurs, Villa & Newcastle is as feasibly possible as things that went on after Fergie.

48 minutes ago, Stan said:

Does anyone wonder if Liverpool will have the same kind of lull or downturn in achievements like when Fergie left Man Utd? 

Klopp built up such an empire and platform of success and glory, and then the shoes were so big to fill for the next man in it was almost impossible for the new manager to replicate it. I also wonder how patient Liverpool fans will be with the new manager. Will they give him time to bed in and make the transition, if he doesn't hit the ground running for instance? 

I think whoever comes in will be afforded patience as long as it’s not an unmitigated disaster like when Hodgson was our manager.

The one thing I feel confident going for always is having Michael Edwards back.

But I think us being worse next season is almost inevitable. We’ll be going from one of the best managers in football to someone who’s going to be a lot more of an unknown quantity.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Rick said:

I know nothing about him. Don’t know how he sets up its team or anything, will have to do some research on it. 

He usually plays 3 at the back, which tbh fills me with dread for some reason. Who knows if he'll do that with our squad though. But I really don't know much else about him.

It's all well and good if he's got good tactics and a good track record in the transfer market... but has he ever dealt with Paul Tierney or Anthony Taylor before?

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

He usually plays 3 at the back, which tbh fills me with dread for some reason. Who knows if he'll do that with our squad though. But I really don't know much else about him.

It's all well and good if he's got good tactics and a good track record in the transfer market... but has he ever dealt with Paul Tierney or Anthony Taylor before?

24 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I'll just wait until he's our manager rather than watch some footy nerd's speculation video xD

I mean yeah but the guy gives a good indication of what he looks like if you dont know

35 minutes ago, Danny said:

I mean yeah but the guy gives a good indication of what he looks like if you dont know

Alright, I'll watch it. Gotta be honest though, I hate the idea of us playing 3 at the back so when he says he sets up "very Liverpool" and then talks about 3 at the back... I do roll my eyes around in my head.