talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The 2023 countdown to Christmas thread

football forum

20 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Cheers lads.

Unfortunately my fiance and I broke up after an 8 year relationship unexpectedly, my father was diagnosed with cancer, I had a car crash and my the company I worked for over 17 years with made me redundant due to financial reasons all over a two week period. Unbelievable really.

I needed some major help that saved me from doing a stupid thing, had some great support since which I'm forever in debt to, but Christmas really isn't for me this year.

That said, I'm happy to turn a negative to a positive and help others. There's always people worse off than yourself and when you strip it all back, I'm thankful for what I do have.

Fuck... so very sorry to hear that mate.. what a horrible sequence of events to have to go through, Always hard to know what the right thing to say is at times like this.. Always available if you need a chat or let off steam..  

• Administrator
39 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Does your city have Christmas markets? 

A very small one but only because it's a small(ish) town that I live in.

I've been to others in bigger cities (Birmingham and London) and while I enjoyed them at the time and it was good fun with the group I was with, I'd avoid them now. They're just ridiculously expensive for food and drink, and just way too many people so you're just crammed in all the time wherever you try to walk. Or if I do go to any with a little one soon to be with us, it'll probably be a weekday where it's likely to be much less busy.

On 30/11/2023 at 19:20, Lucas said:

Cheers lads.

Unfortunately my fiance and I broke up after an 8 year relationship unexpectedly, my father was diagnosed with cancer, I had a car crash and my the company I worked for over 17 years with made me redundant due to financial reasons all over a two week period. Unbelievable really.

I needed some major help that saved me from doing a stupid thing, had some great support since which I'm forever in debt to, but Christmas really isn't for me this year.

That said, I'm happy to turn a negative to a positive and help others. There's always people worse off than yourself and when you strip it all back, I'm thankful for what I do have.

Shit, that's rough. Sorry to hear about that. :(

• Subscriber

Our daughter's just arrived, dropping wee Kaiden off for a weekend sleepover here, she has started getting me ready for Christmas dressed up as Santa, beard is coming on well so she has tried the Christmas baubles out...God...what next to come from her and Kaiden. :shutup: :eek:

IMG-20231215-WA0003.thumb.jpg.11355b43dffc61d48c5a51c9b3bbf766.jpg

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, MUFC said:

For of you who celebrate Christmas. What does it mean to you? Is it religiius, about getting together with loved ones, mix of things or just a piss up?

No religious reasons. Just some relaxing time with family, food, drinks, board games etc. 

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber
27 minutes ago, MUFC said:

For of you who celebrate Christmas. What does it mean to you? Is it religiius, about getting together with loved ones, mix of things or just a piss up?

No religious reasons, just an internalized secular tradition at this point. Spending time with the ones you love, a reminder of what's important in life. Nothing against a piss up either though xD 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, MUFC said:

Not the same as years gone by, most of my family are still in Australia and I have not heard from them for years, I have always been a loner on my side of the family.

I always class the wife's side family wise as mine, you see them quite a lot but a lot of the Uncles & Aunts have passed away now so it won't be the same.

Religious wise is a no goer for me, just enjoy the occasion seeing the grandson's and family and relaxing, my army days and what I have seen on tours of duty put me off religion a wee bit and I always ask myself "Why does this God let this happen....?"

Anyway, I will have a few drinks on Christmas Day and watch wee Kaiden open his presents with a smile on his face and the eldest grandson's (17 & 18 coming up) we won't see them on Christmas as they will more than likely pissing it up with their mates and chasing some birds. xD

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, MUFC said:

Mainly getting together with my folks in all honesty, with the 28th being a key date as it was when my brother passed away, so supporting the family on that day.

Never celebrated it for religious reasons as, intended in a good way, I'm not overly fussed on religion in general.

I'll have a few drinks as well, but not for a piss up or anything else like that.

• Upvote 1