EFL Cup 2023/24 - Quarter-Final Matches

football forum

• Administrator

200?cb=20170805223829

all kick-offs GMT

Tuesday 19th December, 2023
Everton vs Fulham, 19.45
Port Vale vs Middlesbrough, 19.45

Chelsea vs Newcastle, 20.00 (live on Sky)

Wednesday 20th December, 2023
Liverpool vs West Ham, 20.00 (live on Sky)

• Subscriber

Got to go and beat these when we're this close to a final and City, Arsenal, Spurs are all out already. They've been flying at home but they haven't won away since the first game of the season. (Let's not talk about who that was against).

I'm hoping Chelsea will knock Newcastle out. Not sure whether Newcastle might have taken the opportunity to rotate but they're out of Europe and surely they have to go all out to win this trophy now? I think it's fanciful to expect West Ham have much chance of knocking Liverpool out at Anfield. Obviously we need to do the business first. Everton haven't exactly been known for winning five games on the bounce in my lifetime.

• Subscriber

Poor game. We were just getting on top and then Fulham have scored a jammy deflection off Keane to open the scoring. I swear we're cursed against these at Goodison.

Doesn't help missing Mykolenko and Doucoure tonight but that's how thin our squad is. We've never won after conceding first under Dyche so time to change that now.

• Subscriber

Beto equaliser means we get to the coin flip of a shootout.

Our players look absolutely dead on their feet and it's painful seeing a team like Fulham be able to bring 5-6 established senior professionals to Goodison while we have Beto, Godfrey, Danjuma and a bunch of kids on the bench. We have a few injuries but that's the price of the mismanagement if the last few years and it could have cost us at the end.

Our attacking play was extremely poor to be honest but we nabbed the goal.

• Subscriber

If Onana had just taken a normal penalty instead of trying to take a "cool" one then that was in the bag. Pickford could probably have got a stronger hand to one or two others but he saves one of the first five and you can't really ask for much more from your goalkeeper than that. When you get down to 8th or 9th penalty takers and the likes of Idrissa Gueye are having to step up then it becomes even more of a lottery.

Frustrating but a familiar feeling. If you can't take advantage of a favourable home draw like that in a cup quarter final then you don't deserve to have a shot at a trophy unfortunately.

Have to target the FA Cup anyway. We're not getting relegated and even if we got all of our points back from the appeal (unlikely) then as much as we might be 8th or something now, I don't think we could realistically sustain a challenge. The FA Cup is a massive long shot, especially compared to the position we'd got ourselves into in this one before tonight, but that's probably the main purpose we can find in this season now.

Not really that upset,  there is a good chance we may only play 4 games in January which is critical now.   Most of that team was utterly warn down with only Ritchie coming on in attack is enough to suggest a crisis.   

Less games,  more time between games and a January window are most useful now. 

On 19/12/2023 at 22:26, Cicero said:

Shit game but did enough in the end. Gusto and Maatsen should've both started. Had enough of this 4 CBs bollocks. 

Hate to say things like this but I am somewhat glad Sanchez is sidelined just so that we can get a look of this Petrovic lad. 

The Chelsea defending for Callum Wilson's Newcastle goal was atrocious. Thiago Silva and in particular Badiashile gifted that goal to Newcastle. It was great to see Nkunku come on and make his Chelsea debut, after he has been kept out of action due to injury. Nkunku should really bolster this Chelsea side in the months ahead. But I think that Mudryk was the player that made the difference when he came on as a sub late on. He was tricky on the flank when he came on and he delivered very decent cross to set up a chance for Chelsea as well. But he went one better in the dying moments as he scored the equaliser for Chelsea with a right footed shot that found the bottom hand corner of the net. Mudryk also scored Chelsea's final penalty in the penalty shoot-out to help Chelsea advance to the semi-finals of the EFL Cup.

• The topic was unpinned