talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2023/24 Gameweek 19 - 26th-28th December

football forum

4 hours ago, MUFC said:

Question for the Liverpool fans. Looking at the Firminho and Mane replacements. Nunez and Diaz, how would you rate them so far?

Nunez has potential that is exciting, but the more I watch him the less I think he’s going to live up to that potential. He’s been here 18 months and he is still playing like he’s brand new to the team & league. 

Diaz has been very good for us overall. He has had his issues this season but there have been good reasons for that so he deserves a lot of slack. But with Salah going off next month, we need him to get back to his best. 

I think there are a lot of people who overrated our attack before the season started. Salah & Jota are the only consistent scorers. Gakpo is a weird one, because he’s sort of expected to do the Firmino role in that front three, which is does with varying degrees of success. Diaz isn’t super prolific and has been off the boil & Nunez can’t be relied upon to score. We could do with another natural goalscorer in the summer if players don’t step up in the second half of the season. 

• Upvote 1

Liverpool have failed to score once in all competitions this season. Not saying there aren't issues to iron out but I think things are fine for the stage we're at in the rebuild. 

Also don't agree that Nunez is playing like he's completely new to the team. His all round games has improved on what we saw from him last season. His finishing needs work obviously. 

• Upvote 1

Not sure if I posted this already but when looking at the title challenge I think both Liverpool and Arsenal need a forward who can bag 20+ goals a season.

I think the differences between the two is sometimes represented as Arsenal needing a forward and Liverpool not, but I think they both need one and the actual difference is that Arsenal have a more balanced squad for their style of play with less out and out best in position type players and Liverpool don’t have Arsenal’s squad balance in how they want to play but have about 3/4 out and out best in position type players in Salah, Trent, VvD and Allison.

Edited by Danny

6 hours ago, MUFC said:

Question for the Liverpool fans. Looking at the Firminho and Mane replacements. Nunez and Diaz, how would you rate them so far?

Diaz had a brighter start. Kind of fallen off a bit this season. Tbf his dad was literally kidnapped so I think it’s understandable if he needs time to get his head right.

Nunez I think has all the potential in the world, he’s just got very inconsistent finishing - and weirdly it’s the easier chances he’s shit at. But he’s tall, fast as fuck, good on the ball, and is regularly causing trouble for defenses. If he can start being clinical in front of goal, I think we have a top striker on our hands. Til then he’s good but not great.

To me Gakpo’s the most like for like with Firmino. Good player technically, occupies similar parts of the pitch. But we’ve sort of changed up our tactics a bit since the best days of Salah Firmino Mane.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

Liverpool have failed to score once in all competitions this season. Not saying there aren't issues to iron out but I think things are fine for the stage we're at in the rebuild. 

Also don't agree that Nunez is playing like he's completely new to the team. His all round games has improved on what we saw from him last season. His finishing needs work obviously. 

Yeah Nunez has easily improved a lot since last season. I think the only issue with him now is his inconsistent finishing.

He’s a good player, if he gets more clinical he’s a great player.

At no point have I said that Nunez wasn’t a good player. Obviously he is a good player and can cause the defence a headache. That doesn’t change the fact that he was a big investment for this club (not his fault, but we need more from him) and he needs to score way more than he has. Some of the chances he has missed are criminal. 

20 minutes ago, Rick said:

At no point have I said that Nunez wasn’t a good player. Obviously he is a good player and can cause the defence a headache. That doesn’t change the fact that he was a big investment for this club (not his fault, but we need more from him) and he needs to score way more than he has. Some of the chances he has missed are criminal. 

No one has disagreed his finishing needs to be better? You said he's still playing like he's brand new to the team though and that clearly isn't the case.

3 goals acored in 15 minutes. Wolves went 2-0 up.  decent first goal that was poorly defended and then from the kick off Collins plays a limp ball to Flekken which they intercepted to make it 2. We then immediately go up the other end and Maupay sets up Wissa to make it 2-1. As I write this we nearly make it 2-2.

If youre not watching this then thats your loss lol

2 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

Great equaliser from Foden. 

The penalty for City’s 2nd was harsh in my opinion… it was more ball to hand??

Unfortunately the positioning of his arm probably means it's a penalty. Extremely close to it when he takes the shot though so not sure what else Onana could do

• Subscriber

Harsh penalty. Have we seen plenty of those given this season? Of course we have. Does it get given at the other end? I don't want to be a cry-arse or a conspiracy theorist but the problem is, none of us can say with confidence that it would be.

And if they're serious about stopping players from surrounding the referee then take the penalty off them.

• Upvote 1

The owners are getting exactly what they deserve. We have been sleep walking in to a disaster after three very underwhelming transfer windows. They have shown the same naivety that Leicester City showed the summer before and quite frankly this board deserve the same outcome. There is no way on God's green earth that the likes of Everton or Luton, who both beat us, deserve to finish below us. How after 10+ years at this level can anybody think it's acceptable to not replace Wilfried Zaha, Conor Gallagher and Christian Benteke? It's a dereliction of duty.

I feel for the coaching staff who are taking the brunt of criticism online. Even if we appointed Pep Guardiola he'd still be fire fighting until next summer because this is a bottom five squad. He'd still be subbing Jordan Ayew for Jeffrey Schlupp because there are no attacking options available.

I feel for the players too. That starting eleven are giving it everything. We have 5 or 6 fantastic individual talents. Michael Olise showed tonight that he is a fantastic individual player. But the gap between those players and the rest in terms of quality is gigantic. I hope they go on to have fantastic careers but the sad reality is our owners are not ambitious enough for them to reach their potential at Crystal Palace.

I think I said this on September 1st but just wake me up when this season is over. Even when were 16th in The Championship i could still dream. I've never been so underwhelmed and bored to support Crystal Palace.

16 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah Nunez has easily improved a lot since last season. I think the only issue with him now is his inconsistent finishing.

He’s a good player, if he gets more clinical he’s a great player.

I'm trying to think of players who's finishing was as terrible as Nunez who suddenly in their third season with a club became clinical a.f. 

My football brain has eroded with disuse, but I can't think of many. 

8 hours ago, Harry said:

I'm trying to think of players who's finishing was as terrible as Nunez who suddenly in their third season with a club became clinical a.f. 

My football brain has eroded with disuse, but I can't think of many. 

Suarez was pretty wasteful in his first season but ended up being incredibly clinical.

I don't think he needs to become as clinical as Haaland to score a lot of goals, considering how many chances he makes for himself by being his chaotic self now. But he does need to be more clinical.

My initial reaction was that went out for West Ham's goal but none of the Arsenal players claimed it. 

It's obviously really close and can't tell it's out from the angles they're showing.

Goal given

Edited by LFCMike

• The topic was unpinned