talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

EFL Cup Final - Chelsea 0-1 (aet) Liverpool - Sunday 25th February, 2024

football forum

• Subscriber

"Clear and obvious". xD

Ridiculous decision. It's PGMOL all over though to wait for a marquee occasion like a cup final to make up a new rule so that VAR and the officials can be the stars of the show instead of the players.

I get why it's offside but since when do they need to look at that much detail to see if a goal is legitimate or not.

"We want a high bar for intervention"

"We don't want to be re-refereeing football matches"

Fuck off. You will find literally any nit-picking excuse to interfere with football matches and manufacture some unnecessary drama.

There's a lot of things that have ruined football but VAR has a good case for being top of the list. You can't blame the technology either, because it's technology, but putting in the hands of the Premier League's current officials and governing bodies has been a disaster.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Redcanuck said:

What happened to the Liverpool goal?  I went to the washroom , got a cup of tea and it's gone.

Shite referees get in the way.

2 minutes ago, FleetLout said:

Watching this in the pub and cannot figure out what Van Djik goal was disallowed for. 

Saying that, terrific game for a 0-0 this. 

I was the same. Someone explained it to me and still don't get it. Bizarre. 

• Subscriber

Endo, who was in an offside position, blocked off a Chelsea player who might have been able to challenge Van Dijk for the header. It wasn't the player who was actually marking Van Dijk though. I understand how it's a "technical offside", as they put it, but it's like when they occasionally give penalties for "grappling" at set pieces. It happens on basically every free kick or corner and it seems totally random as to when VAR decides to intervene. In this case, though, I don't suspect that it has been done randomly, I suspect that they've unnecessarily over-analysed it because it's a cup final, looked harder than they'd usually look to make sure everything was above board with the goal, and in doing so found a trivial offence and disallowed it.

Decisions like that might be right by the letter of the law but if you look hard enough you can probably find something similar in the build-up to loads of goals, especially those from set pieces.

I think it's a mental intervention. If you disallow a goal for that offence then I don't really see where they can draw the line. It's a far cry from "clear and obvious".

• Subscriber

Liverpool deserve this. It's an absolute embarrassment for Chelsea though I'm afraid. I know they're a mid-table team in reality and you could just about forgive them losing in normal time but Liverpool have brought half their youth team off the bench and Chelsea have had a host of big-money players and they've completely surrendered the initiative and been outlasted in extra time. After the original VAR reprieve as well, it's really inexcusable not to convert against such a young Liverpool side.

Like Chelsea, Sky Sports have no excuse to continue putting Carragher on the commentary for Liverpool, especially in big games. He's absolutely incapable of being impartial, constantly loses his head and starts screaming down the microphone. That screech he goes into is absolutely horrific. I imagine even Liverpool fans have trouble listening to it. It's really poor from a supposedly neutral broadcaster. I imagine Neville would be just as bad to be fair if Man Utd were ever any good.

• The title was changed to EFL Cup Final - Chelsea 0-1 (aet) Liverpool - Sunday 25th February, 2024