talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

England National Team Discussion

14 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

How did England's midfield end up being so fucking shite? After Henderson, that's a potty full of average or worse.

Even then Henderson plays a limited role at Liverpool under a manager who knows his strengths and weaknesses, what he does there he does brilliantly. Southgate tries to play him in a way where his weaknesses are glaringly obvious, I.e. the woeful passing against Croatia.

• Subscriber

I can't believe the level of stupidity of this Wales friendly. I personally think given it's in its infancy, the Nations League should've been culled this year or just moved to whenever the next one was meant to be, seeing as we're having to catch up this season given the fact we started a month later. We therefore could've had one international break to get the play-offs done, and in doing this, saved playing another 6 or so games internationally, freeing up a space in say November to play 2/3 more domestic games and taking away the fixture congestion later on in the season.

To go ahead with it is one thing, but to then throw another friendly in too is absolutely unbelievable xD all the absolute nonsense they spout about how much we need a winter break, that ridiculous scheduling last year (which was just an excuse to move every game in one matchday for TV) yet when you have a legitimate reason to not play they choose to play extra games!!!

Incredible levels of ineptness and don't we play New Zealand in the next break as well? I mean I can't even get my head around it. Just madness.

Edited by Dan

Got no problem with the Nations League games, theres probably obligations that need to be met but the two friendlies are bizarre enough but more son when there’s not extra allowances allowed in terms of allowing larger squads to be called up.

If the Wales and New Zealand games must go ahead, I think they hoped they’d be test events and get some people in, I can’t see why they weren’t allowed to call up 35 players or something along those lines. 

Nations League is probably the best idea UEFA have had in years, and clearly it’s contractual that the games be played. But the season and how short it is, plus a tournament at the end...the players will be dead on their feet

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Danny said:

Bit of a stretch. 

Not like Abraham or Sancho could have played instead of Maguire. Abraham was hardly going to play ahead of Calvert-Lewin who 100% deserved his appearances. Kane is the captain so was ahead of him in pecking order too.

Formation didn't really play in to Sancho's hands but that's more to do with Southgate playing weird formations/going too defensive, not just to spite Sancho/Abraham for any reason...

19 minutes ago, Stan said:

Bit of a stretch. 

Not like Abraham or Sancho could have played instead of Maguire. Abraham was hardly going to play ahead of Calvert-Lewin who 100% deserved his appearances. Kane is the captain so was ahead of him in pecking order too.

Formation didn't really play in to Sancho's hands but that's more to do with Southgate playing weird formations/going too defensive, not just to spite Sancho/Abraham for any reason...

How often does Southgate leave Sancho out of the team?

It does raise a point in general though, Maguire was convicted in Greece yet still has the captains armband. Foden and Greenwood done less and were sent home weren’t they?

• Subscriber

I've got to say it does seem odd, some double standards going on here. I can't work out how Maguire's become seemingly undroppable for both club and country. His performances aren't even close to justifying that sort of status.

• Subscriber

Footballers and blokes in their 20s in general misbehaving on holiday in Magaluf or whatever is old news that people just accept as part of being young and/or rich.

Breaking Covid restrictions is a highly sensitive and politicised issue, a real hot button topic. People pay attention to it and in 2020 it's a cardinal sin to to commit Covid related offences.

I can't find a better explanation other than Southgate making a calculation that playing Maguire after some banged up abroad shenanigans isn't going to cause enough outrage to disrupt the squad more than his absence would whereas Greenwood, Foden, Abraham, Sancho are all in that age group (and three of them also aren't white British if you want to suggest that's still a factor too) where the lazy stereotype of young lads with too much money and fame too soon can still be applied.