talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

England National Team Discussion

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Who will start the first game at the Euros then? Henderson, Pickford or Pope? 

I think you've got to go with Pickford.

Henderson's been good this season, but he's also had a few fuckups like Pickford. It just doesn't get the same press because one's a kid and the other is the England #1 keeper. Pope's only good at shot stopping, but there's more to being a keeper than that. Maybe if we set England up like Burnley… but does anyone actually want that?

50 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think you've got to go with Pickford.

Henderson's been good this season, but he's also had a few fuckups like Pickford. It just doesn't get the same press because one's a kid and the other is the England #1 keeper. Pope's only good at shot stopping, but there's more to being a keeper than that. Maybe if we set England up like Burnley… but does anyone actually want that?

Burnley would probably nick a result against England tbh

• Subscriber

My West Ham mates rave about Rice. But they're utter pony as a team, so it's hard to say. They're convinced he's heading to City though. Personally never been impressed. Dier was equally as good and had the same hype when he broke through as a defender playing DM...and look where he is now.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Storts said:

My West Ham mates rave about Rice. But they're utter pony as a team, so it's hard to say. They're convinced he's heading to City though. Personally never been impressed. Dier was equally as good and had the same hype when he broke through as a defender playing DM...and look where he is now.

Feel like he’s alright in the tackle but too heavy footed on the ball

18 minutes ago, Danny said:

Burnley would probably nick a result against England tbh

Yeah probably, because they're a well drilled club that's playing in the top flight and the England side's a collection of players - some of whom are very familiar with each other - but that mostly have to learn a system and implement it in a short amount of time. I'd expect most top flight sides in most good leagues to be able to beat most international sides tbh.

Pickford will get the number one jersey for England and rightly so, at this stage. He’s been more than reliable for England and has had to deal with playing behind a back four that marked zones. Given time at Everton under Ancelotti, I think he’ll be fine and he’s right in what he said about the media being on your back as an England International. Sterling was the media scapegoat, everyone called them out for their closet racism and they eventually found Pickford as their next target. No doubt they’ll move on to someone else soon enough. 

That said, I’d be tempted to give Henderson a game in one of the two upcoming Friendlies. I know you should be starting to think about your starting XI for the Euros but there’s two games in four days next month and you’ve still got three games prior to the first group game. 

• Upvote 1

What we looking at when fit for the Euros? Feel like Grealish don’t make the team if that front four are fit and Maddison could operate a lot deeper more effectively

Kane - Rashford

Sterling ———————Sancho

Maddison - Henderson

Chilwell - Maguire - Gomez - Trent

Pickford

Edited by Danny

• Subscriber

I'm not totally sold that Maddison could play that role. It's different playing there for Leicester when you've got Ndidi behind you but I could see that side having 5+ goals in every single game. We'd score loads and let in loads.

At least one of Kane or Rashford will be rushed back and flop. I'm sure of it.

I'm actually really quite stumped to be honest because of the holding midfielder situation. I'm nowhere near sold on Rice but I'm not sure we can afford to not play him either. I do feel like now you need a brilliant holding midfielder to achieve anything and we've not really got one. Some are saying Rice could be one but I'm not sold personally. He's hard to judge. As stated - playing in a fucking god awful side.

Choudhury's your next best bet and I'm not totally confident with him there for us to be honest, so I'm not hugely keen.

He's looking at Harvey Barnes for the squad apparently. I think it's too soon but he's finally starting to hit some form.

Edited by Dan
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Pickford will get the number one jersey for England and rightly so, at this stage. He’s been more than reliable for England and has had to deal with playing behind a back four that marked zones. Given time at Everton under Ancelotti, I think he’ll be fine and he’s right in what he said about the media being on your back as an England International. Sterling was the media scapegoat, everyone called them out for their closet racism and they eventually found Pickford as their next target. No doubt they’ll move on to someone else soon enough. 

That said, I’d be tempted to give Henderson a game in one of the two upcoming Friendlies. I know you should be starting to think about your starting XI for the Euros but there’s two games in four days next month and you’ve still got three games prior to the first group game. 

Is Pickford getting an exceptionally hard time from the press? Genuine question as I don't really read any of the papers anymore. From what I've seen he's drawing criticise for poor form, which is surely the fairest way to measure a footballer? Obviously playing for the England national team is going to draw closer scrutiny, but that's not unfair it's the nature of playing at a high profile level. I've not seen anything which has been unfair in the way he's been talked about, especially in comparison with Sterling.

20 minutes ago, Danny said:

What we looking at when fit for the Euros? Feel like Grealish don’t make the team if that front four are fit and Maddison could operate a lot deeper more effectively

Kane - Rashford

Sterling ———————Sancho

Maddison - Henderson

Pickford

Barkley has looked best for us playing deeper. 

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, Danny said:

Kane - Rashford

Sterling ———————Sancho

Maddison - Henderson

Pickford

Like @Dan I don't think Maddison is as good in the deeper role as he is & could be in the attacking midfielder role. 

54 minutes ago, Danny said:

Kane - Rashford

Sterling ———————Sancho

Maddison - Henderson

Pickford

That would be a mad set up against anyone half decent

11 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

That would be a mad set up against anyone half decent

Yeah in fairness Maddison central was probably a bit too full on but someone else defensive alongside Henderson and I reckon that’s a team that would cause counter attacking problems all over the place

52 minutes ago, Danny said:

Yeah in fairness Maddison central was probably a bit too full on but someone else defensive alongside Henderson and I reckon that’s a team that would cause counter attacking problems all over the place

Only if Kane and Rashford are fully fit. 

I think the last CL final is a good reason to make sure we're not rushing Kane back for a final. He was absolutely anonymous in that final. We can't have that happening in the group stages of this tournament or we'll go out pretty quickly I think. Brilliant player when he's fit, and I can understand why he wants to play the big games and be in tournaments, but for his sake (for his career's longevity) and for our sake (because seeing England do well is pretty cool) if he's not fully fit I don't think he should be starting.

Likewise with Rashford, who might be a Manc… but I actually feel pretty bad for him for what he's had to go through this season. Going through much of the season as the real bright light of Man Utd's season, being asked to play with a back fracture... and then getting a double back fracture as a result. He's still young, let the kid heal.

I think I'd go with something like this - but I don't know if I'd start Ings or Abraham up front, but I think Ings is better (but maybe not for this system), so I'm throwing him in here.

Pickford

TAA - Gomez - Maguire - Chilwell

Henderson - Winks(?) -Alex-Oxlade Chamberlain

Sancho - Ings - Sterling

I think when everyone's healthy, the back 4 picks itself really. I went with the Ox in midfield because he's been in pretty decent form lately, meanwhile Maddison's dropped off a bit & Grealish I think should be in the squad most likely... but I'm not sure if he's ready to be starting for England. At Villa the side's built around him because he's their best player - England aren't going to do that for him just because he's Villa's best player. Sancho & Sterling, if healthy, are going to be the starters and rightly so. Ings in because he's having a good season.

2 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Is Pickford getting an exceptionally hard time from the press? Genuine question as I don't really read any of the papers anymore. From what I've seen he's drawing criticise for poor form, which is surely the fairest way to measure a footballer? Obviously playing for the England national team is going to draw closer scrutiny, but that's not unfair it's the nature of playing at a high profile level. I've not seen anything which has been unfair in the way he's been talked about, especially in comparison with Sterling.

Didn’t they try and pin a grainy video filmed on what looked like an iPhone 2 on him smashing people’s heads in in Sunderland? 

@Dr. Gonzo that was a fully fit eleven...if Kane and Rashford are unfit then I’d probably go

Sterling - Vardy - Sancho

Grealish/Maddison/Ox

Winks - Henderson

Chilwell - Maguire - Gomez - TAA

Pickford

No idea who I’d play in the attacking mid position tbh, I think Vardy would come out of retirement if were relying on Danny Ings (who’s decent, but Vardy is much better obviously)

3 minutes ago, Danny said:

@Dr. Gonzo that was a fully fit eleven...if Kane and Rashford are unfit then I’d probably go

Sterling - Vardy - Sancho

Grealish/Maddison/Ox

Winks - Henderson

Chilwell - Maguire - Gomez - TAA

Pickford

No idea who I’d play in the attacking mid position tbh, I think Vardy would come out of retirement if were relying on Danny Ings (who’s decent, but Vardy is much better obviously)

I think Vardy said he's not going to unretire even if Kane's out. But otherwise, I think our sides are pretty similar.

I think the big questions are: who plays as the most advanced midfielder in that central 3? And who plays next to Henderson (even though we've both said Winks)? But I think otherwise (and the striker situation, which I suppose we'll have a better idea of what we'll be seeing with England closer to the summer)… the rest of the side sort of picks itself.

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Pickford

James  Gomez  Maguire  Chilwell 

TAA  Henderson  Grealish 

Sancho  Kane Sterling 

I think England should really utilise the creativity they have. They’ve lacked creative players, particularly in midfield, for years.