talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

England National Team Discussion

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

I think if you put Maddison, Mount, Barkley in our side they’re not producing as much as Jack

I reckon they would. Not Barkley. Alli, Maddison, Mount would.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator
1 minute ago, Vader said:

Not sure if any of you knew this, but Erling Haaland was born in Leeds, so he could have been eligible for England. Of course that's irrelevant now because he's already cap tied with Norway.

@Eco did you know this

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Vader said:

Not sure if any of you knew this, but Erling Haaland was born in Leeds, so he could have been eligible for England. Of course that's irrelevant now because he's already cap tied with Norway.

That doesn't mean you're automatically eligible to play for England, he never had English (British) citizenship and neither did his parents.

Edited by The Artful Dodger

18 hours ago, Vader said:

Yes, I knew this when the kid was first making headlines in Norway with Molde as a 17 year old. It's not surprising that he was born in Leeds as his dad of course played for Leeds United. But him being born in the UK means nothing. First of all, he clearly enjoys playing for Norway and that's where his heritage is from, so I doubt he ever wanted to represent England ahead of Norway, even if he could get British citizenship. But being born in England(the UK), doesn't automatically allow you to obtain British Citizenship.

The UK(neither are other European countries) isn't like most South American and North American countries, where anyone can obtain citizenship if they are born in such countries. British Citizenship isn't a birthright, if you are a foreigner born in the UK anymore. 

Everyone: Who would you rather have start for England, Grealish, Maddison, or Mount?

Me: Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain?

Either way, no matter how you slice it you could have Henderson + one of those 4 and you'd need another central midfielder in there. And you'd probably have to pick between: Declan Rice, Harry Winks, or Eric Dier… or playing one of those 4 a bit deeper than they'd be most comfortable playing. And that 3rd and final midfield spot, no matter how you slice it, is going to be a bit underwhelming imo.

Shame about Ward-Prowse getting injured yesterday. Hopefully it's not too bad, because I think he's earned a callup and would be the best midfielder to put alongside Henderson.

• Subscriber

Is Rice actually any good or do we just assume he's supposed to be good because there was publicity over which country he'd choose? I've never really been that impressed by him, long way to go. Dier would be a painful inclusion. For me it has to he Henderson, Winks and Grealish.

I agree that the momentum has gone in Oxlade-Chamberlain's direction since the turn of the year. Maddison has cooled slightly, Grealish is inexperienced at international level and it's always hard to judge the stand out player in a struggling team. Mount started the season very well but I dont think he's ready to be in this conversation. You know Barkley ends up getting more minutes than any of them though, for some reason. Don't rule out Alli either. If he has a good end to the season he probably trumps the lot of them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber

I just don't get Rice to be honest. Like not rubbish but seems like one of those over-rated because he's English and we just so happen to have a bit of a problem at holding midfield.

Would be classic England for Barkley to get more minutes in the Euros than Maddison or Grealish.

24 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Is Rice actually any good or do we just assume he's supposed to be good because there was publicity over which country he'd choose? I've never really been that impressed by him, long way to go. Dier would be a painful inclusion. For me it has to he Henderson, Winks and Grealish.

I agree that the momentum has gone in Oxlade-Chamberlain's direction since the turn of the year. Maddison has cooled slightly, Grealish is inexperienced at international level and it's always hard to judge the stand out player in a struggling team. Mount started the season very well but I dont think he's ready to be in this conversation. You know Barkley ends up getting more minutes than any of them though, for some reason. Don't rule out Alli either. If he has a good end to the season he probably trumps the lot of them.

I think Rice is crap tbh. Never understood the hype around him at all. Maybe he's good when I'm not watching, but whenever I see him play he never looks anywhere near good.

• Subscriber
Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think Rice is crap tbh. Never understood the hype around him at all. Maybe he's good when I'm not watching, but whenever I see him play he never looks anywhere near good.

No I think he's one of those myth players who is so average that nobody ever notices him and doesn't really know if he's any good. Other people seem to think he's good and he's not noticeably shit but you're not really paying attention because West Ham are a very nothing-y side this season so you're in no position to disagree with the hive-mind even though they don't realise that, like you, they only assume he's good because that's what everyone else seems to think and they haven't noticed either way. One of those players.

1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

No I think he's one of those myth players who is so average that nobody ever notices him and doesn't really know if he's any good. Other people seem to think he's good and he's not noticeably shit but you're not really paying attention because West Ham are a very nothing-y side this season so you're in no position to disagree with the hive-mind even though they don't realise that, like you, they only assume he's good because that's what everyone else seems to think and they haven't noticed either way. One of those players.

Well I remember one match, forget who they were playing though, but I assumed he'd be excellent with the basic stuff you'd expect from someone with hype in that position. Shite like his positioning and his passing (if not making spectacular passing, at least being able to make simple passes that meant West Ham can recycle possession - and being generally good at finding his man with his passes).

He was rubbish in that match. Leaving gaps in the centre of the pitch to be exploited and having a hard time finding any of his teammates. And I remember he made an England appearance shortly after that and was similarly crap.

He's got to be better than he is in my mind to have the reputation he's got. But I've not really seen where the reputation comes from at all tbh.

Shame Delph's been a bit crap since joining you tbh, otherwise I think he'd be in consideration But he has been a bit shite tbh. I think if I was leaning to pick an English midfielder to play alongside Henderson this summer... I'd probably go with Winks.

3 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Delph only has experience going for him. Tom Davies would be more deserving of the next England squad than Delph based on this season and he's miles away.

Yeah I think the both of them shouldn't be near the England squad based on this season's form tbh.

• Administrator

Never got the Rice hype, personally. 

Think @RandoEFC is right because of the whole English/Irish who to play for choice that gained a lot of traction. But to what end?

Is there even a lot of potential there? I know he's in an utterly dire West Ham team and perhaps that's holding him back but where would he go to from there that could see him playing regularly but also stand out?