talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Unpopular Football Opinions

football forum

• Administrator
Just now, Danny said:

Hardly, you could make the same argument for a ref playing advantage when he should have blew for a free kick.

Not quite the same. Flag goes up, ref immediately blows the whistle. No collision.
Flag delayed, collision could happen (and it has happened in some games I've watched). Luckily no serious injury. 

Just now, Stan said:

Not quite the same. Flag goes up, ref immediately blows the whistle. No collision.
Flag delayed, collision could happen (and it has happened in some games I've watched). Luckily no serious injury. 

And how many players are getting injured? There is no precedent or consistent issue arising for what you’re suggesting

54 minutes ago, Cazza said:

The FA have a binding contract with the Stadium to play home internationals and cup finals there to pay for the cost of construction. Otherwise everyone would agree and that many stadiums are bigger nowadays.

Since my post that you’ve dragged up from 2017, England have played home Internationals away from Wembley at Leicester, Southampton and Elland Road and had been due to play Romania (IIRC) at Aston Villa before the Euros were due to start in 2020. Taking Internationals around the country has worked quite well, from what I’ve read. 

2 hours ago, Danny said:

I like the late flag and think it’s good for football and the best way to deal with offsides 

I don't like it or really see how it's good for football? I do think it's the best way to deal with it, but it feels a bit crap when they play on for a couple of minutes and then go back and pretend it never happened

1 minute ago, Burning Gold said:

I don't like it or really see how it's good for football? I do think it's the best way to deal with it, but it feels a bit crap when they play on for a couple of minutes and then go back and pretend it never happened

Because if it’s onside then the goal stands, rather than the ref flagging too early and ruining a perfectly good goal.

3 minutes ago, Danny said:

Because if it’s onside then the goal stands, rather than the ref flagging too early and ruining a perfectly good goal.

Fair enough. I agree that's better than the alternative, although I think that linesmen can be too afraid to put their flags up sometimes for clear offsides

10 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Fair enough. I agree that's better than the alternative, although I think that linesmen can be too afraid to put their flags up sometimes for clear offsides

Maybe, but again it’s the best course for accurate reffing. People will cry about refereeing standards, bring a genuine solution that causes no harm and it’s still not good enough

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Definitely at his best in his 30s

Yeah absolutely, it's not entirely an "unpopular opinion" but you don't hear anyone say that ever. Ibrahimovic before turning 30 had some inconsistent spells (especially at Barcelona) but after that he's comfortably been one of the top 5 forwards in the world. No debate for me. I even had him as the best at some points in the last decade.

• Subscriber

It would be a hilarious failure. It would be full of teams who have the majority of their fanbases support them because they win all the time - how would they deal with being the also-rans? Just imagine say, Arsenal, get put into it and they continue operating how they are now, they're never getting out of the bottom 5 in that situation. Are all the worldwide Arsenal fans, who this is blatantly aimed at, going to stick with it?

The perfect thread for this but my unpopular opinion is that I actually don't think we'll see it happen any time soon. I think the majority of proposals made are deliberately awful-sounding and just a bargaining tool for the top clubs to get greedier with TV money and the structuring of the Champions League. There'll be a compromise, which is rubbish, but not quite the European Super League. I think they know how awful it would be in practice.

• Upvote 3

Straight red card for anyone who pulls someone's shirt back when being countered in the dying minutes. 

Nothing worse than needing a goal and you break away and a winger gets praised for taking a booking for a team, disgusting cheating and should be a straight red card. 

• Like 1

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Dan said:

It would be a hilarious failure. It would be full of teams who have the majority of their fanbases support them because they win all the time - how would they deal with being the also-rans? Just imagine say, Arsenal, get put into it and they continue operating how they are now, they're never getting out of the bottom 5 in that situation. Are all the worldwide Arsenal fans, who this is blatantly aimed at, going to stick with it?

The perfect thread for this but my unpopular opinion is that I actually don't think we'll see it happen any time soon. I think the majority of proposals made are deliberately awful-sounding and just a bargaining tool for the top clubs to get greedier with TV money and the structuring of the Champions League. There'll be a compromise, which is rubbish, but not quite the European Super League. I think they know how awful it would be in practice.

As much as I generally hate the concept of a ESL, I also don't like the fact that teams have been cherry-picked based purely on financial clout, and that it effectively becomes a closed shop with no relegation (if I remember correctly). 

You're totally right though regarding fans it's directed at - but the solution for them is simple. Just support the next best club that does well in that league. Fairweather fans who won't have an interest in the club they originally supported once they start going down the shitter.

6 hours ago, Dan said:

We won’t get a complete breakaway. Though I think we will get a revamped Champions League, quite possibly this ten game one with Swiss chess style fixtures. We’re already moving towards a closed shop elite tournament anyway, IMO. With this third European competition starting next season you could have the elite competition for the handpicked elite and still have two European competitions for the paupers of football.

1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

We won’t get a complete breakaway. Though I think we will get a revamped Champions League, quite possibly this ten game one with Swiss chess style fixtures. We’re already moving towards a closed shop elite tournament anyway, IMO. With this third European competition starting next season you could have the elite competition for the handpicked elite and still have two European competitions for the paupers of football.

What I don't get is why it's seen as the paupers of football competition. 

When I was growing up you had the UEFA cup and the Cup winners cup, the cup winners cup made sense as it meant winning your domestic trophy gave you your individual competition. Uefa was for the next tier teams in your league system. 

The whole idea that these tournaments are seen as second rate events is why clubs are losing there way not the actual competition. I say if your in it, you win it and don't care what anyone else thinks. 

9 hours ago, Devil said:

Straight red card for anyone who pulls someone's shirt back when being countered in the dying minutes. 

Nothing worse than needing a goal and you break away and a winger gets praised for taking a booking for a team, disgusting cheating and should be a straight red card. 

Funnily enough I had a discussion with someone over a controversial subject similar to it. Teams who draw shouldn't get any points. Personally I'm not sure if I agree with it because it makes sense to split the points, but it does at least stop teams from playing for draws and avoiding a Germany-Austria situation. So there are benefits to it.

7 minutes ago, Mpache said:

Funnily enough I had a discussion with someone over a controversial subject similar to it. Teams who draw shouldn't get any points. Personally I'm not sure if I agree with it because it makes sense to split the points, but it does at least stop teams from playing for draws and avoiding a Germany-Austria situation. So there are benefits to it.

While I certainly don't enjoy watching a club parking the bus it would be ridiculous to eliminate points for tied matches. A draw doesn't mean as much now since it became 3 points for a win but it's still a strategy that shouldn't be eliminated.

It sounds way too North American for me, we don't need OT or shootouts, a draw in regular season play should be one point each imho.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Stan said:

What's a Germany-Austria situation? 

Basically that 1982 World Cup match, where Germany and Austria played a gentlemen agreement and just passed it back and forth the entire game to let Germany go through. Technically that was a Germany win, but I think the point stands as we often see it as a draw anyways.

Anyways I still think draws should be split into 1 point but that was an interesting point that was raised to me. I'm sure it would probably have more negatives though.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Scouse_Mouse said:

While I certainly don't enjoy watching a club parking the bus it would be ridiculous to eliminate points for tied matches. A draw doesn't mean as much now since it became 3 points for a win but it's still a strategy that shouldn't be eliminated.

It sounds way too North American for me, we don't need OT or shootouts, a draw in regular season play should be one point each imho.

That's true yeah, like I said above there are probably a lot of cons that I'm missing here.

• Administrator

Yeah I think it'd be fixing something that isn't broken. 

What if a team is about to be on the end of a shit house defeat, then rescue a draw. Wouldn't be right they're denied a point, when they've denied a team getting 3 and themselves getting nothing for getting back in the game. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Yeah I think it'd be fixing something that isn't broken. 

What if a team is about to be on the end of a shit house defeat, then rescue a draw. Wouldn't be right they're denied a point, when they've denied a team getting 3 and themselves getting nothing for getting back in the game. 

Yup great point, like I said there are probably much more negatives that I'm missing right now. The lack of playing out for a draw is one of the only positives that occur to me, but it definitely is a big positive. All in all though I highly agree that it's fixing something that isn't broken