talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Choose a Manager With A £100m Budget

football forum

Which manager on a 100million budget?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which manager on a 100million budget?

• Pep Guardiola
    • Jurgen Klopp
    • Alex Ferguson
    • Jose Mourinho
    • Arsène Wenger

• The title was changed to Choose a Manager With A £100m Budget
  • Administrator

Hard to say given the fees involved at each time for each manager. Fergie and Wenger could pick a world class player for about £20-30m (or maybe less). But the same standard of player perhaps costs double that (or more!) for today's managers. Thierry Henry, for example cost about £15m? 

So I'd probably pick one of those two. Fergie at a push as he won more. 

Pep won the treble in his first season at Barce taking a team that finished 18 points behind Real Madrid in 3rd place the season before and turning them into one of the greatest teams to have ever played the game, whilst spending under £100m, so I chose him!

• Subscriber

Fergie, but could he do the same nowadays ? players attitudes change nowadays and they let their agents do the talking plus back in Fergie's days it was the managers that bought the players and doing the deals, nowadays it's the people above that buy the players and the managers are just there for picking the team on the day.

44 minutes ago, Danny said:

Pep won the treble in his first season at Barce taking a team that finished 18 points behind Real Madrid in 3rd place the season before and turning them into one of the greatest teams to have ever played the game, whilst spending under £100m, so I chose him!

Is it me or did Pep start spending heavily post Barca?

• Subscriber

I can remember United when Fergie was looking for a striker and tried to buy Matt Le Tissier at the time and he would not leave Southampton but Fergie had heard that Cantona had fallen out with the Leeds manager at the time, Howard Wilkinson.

Fergie then told the United chairman at that time, Martin Edwards, to ring Leeds and see if they could do a deal for Cantona, which he did and Cantona ended up at United.

Back in the old days most of the deals were done over the telephone, manager to manager, that was Fergie's domain, most of his buys were done over the phone, nowadays it's the DoF that do the deals and a lot of them are shite and some managers don't have a say about it. 

9 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

I can remember United when Fergie was looking for a striker and tried to buy Matt Le Tissier at the time and he would not leave Southampton but Fergie had heard that Cantona had fallen out with the Leeds manager at the time, Howard Wilkinson.

Fergie then told the United chairman at that time, Martin Edwards, to ring Leeds and see if they could do a deal for Cantona, which he did and Cantona ended up at United.

Back in the old days most of the deals were done over the telephone, manager to manager, that was Fergie's domain, most of his buys were done over the phone, nowadays it's the DoF that do the deals and a lot of them are shite and some managers don't have a say about it. 

I would imagine the set-up at United in Fergie's latter years probably resembled the European model a lot anyway, but just that the specifics of it was that Fergie was essentially the DoF/Manager and then he had coaching staff to coach the team during the week and David Gill to help manage everything behind the scenes. With that level of control I don't think the structure at United was too dissimilar to what you see a lot of English clubs trying to put in place with the director of football method.

• Upvote 1

Pep signings & Academy promotions 94million

Ortega (Free)

Lewis (Free) Akanji (15m) Ake (41m)  Gomez (11m)

Foden (Free) Luiz (10m) Diaz (200k)

Bobb (Free) Alvarez (17m) Palmer (Free)

Edited by Happy Blue

7 hours ago, Danny said:

Same logic applies to Jose Mourinho at Porto, mate. (well to a degree)

Edited by Spike

4 hours ago, Spike said:

Thats what he said lol, you guys agree

We don't agree, Pep's hardly spent a penny. he's bought a league 2 striker and promoted 4 players from the Academy, had to buy an old Chelsea reject to sure up the midfield, 15million Akanji, make do with a goalkeeper on the free ..i really don't know how he does it 

2 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

We don't agree, Pep's hardly spent a penny. he's bought a league 2 striker and promoted 4 players from the Academy, had to buy an old Chelsea reject to sure up the midfield, 15million Akanji, make do with a goalkeeper on the free ..i really don't know how he does it 

Stop that haha

If it's £100m in today's money - I'd go with Klopp or Wenger.

Ferguson didn't spend the insane amounts of money that fly around in today's era of football and he deserves a lot of credit for being the United manager and bringing them success in an era when money started flowing into football. But his best sides were not cheaply assembled sides by the standards of the day. But honestly given that he was the one that built United into a financial behemoth with his football, he could probably do a good job as well.

Not Pep or Mourinho for me, though. Chequebook managers that I can't see reaching the heights they want to reach without spending loads of money - other than instances where they inherit a dominant team at the same time as having a bunch of brilliant players coming through the academy (like Pep). They're obviously good managers, but they're the sorts of managers you want with an unlimited budget... not with financial constraints that in today's football is not all that much of a warchest to truly change a side.

15 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

If it's £100m in today's money - I'd go with Klopp or Wenger.

Ferguson didn't spend the insane amounts of money that fly around in today's era of football and he deserves a lot of credit for being the United manager and bringing them success in an era when money started flowing into football. But his best sides were not cheaply assembled sides by the standards of the day. But honestly given that he was the one that built United into a financial behemoth with his football, he could probably do a good job as well.

Not Pep or Mourinho for me, though. Chequebook managers that I can't see reaching the heights they want to reach without spending loads of money - other than instances where they inherit a dominant team at the same time as having a bunch of brilliant players coming through the academy (like Pep). They're obviously good managers, but they're the sorts of managers you want with an unlimited budget... not with financial constraints that in today's football is not all that much of a warchest to truly change a side.

Much as I've slated Pep. The youngsters he had through the system. Didn't he bring them through the ranks? He was managing the youth side and he had a big part in their development? Fergie brought in the 92 players. But from what I've heard and read. Unlike Pep he never had a full on hands on approach. Most of their development was via Brian Kidd and Eric Harrison.