talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Mauricio Pochettino Leaves Chelsea

3 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

It's a right old circus... clowns everywhere you look 

So much for bringing in managers for a long term project. It's just one after another. Boehly seems to be following the Abramovich path of culling managers left right and centre except that when Abramovich did it we always had something to show for it at the end of a season.. I strongly doubt that whomever they bring in would have much more luck than the previous ones because it seems as though the team itself and players we get are not in their hands but they are expected to make something out of someone else's choices.. " Here a bunch of young players we picked now go make it work " 

Someone could get lucky of course, the improvements towards the end of the season looked promising and if that could be maintained we could have a much better season ahead but if the manager is not getting much say on recruitment either in or out then don't really see the point in having one?? Might as well put a cardboard cut out in the dugout every matchday.. 

This is all Clearlake. Boehly has been the one who was publicly supportive of Poch. 

Eghbali and the sporting directors were never convinced. Egghead calls the shots. 

2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Especially if we bring in 2-3 experienced heads

That seems to be part of the problem though doesn't it, When you listen to some of the things Poch was saying like he would not be involved in transfers over the summer makes you wonder if it was because he knew he would be leaving or because they don't want his involvement... Good sides have a mix of both youth and experience but getting the general feeling now that the Managers have very little say on who comes and who goes.. 

8 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

As for his replacement, whilst none of the names mentioned would give me optimism as a fan I do think Thomas Frank would be an interesting choice. I don't think his stock has been largely affected by Brentford's finish due to the injuries he's contested with and he may see a rebuild without possibly Toney and/or Mbuemo as an appropriate to let a new manager take over.

I genuinely cannot see that happening tbh. I think Frank understands how good our wider system at the club is, how everyone's moving in the same direction and that if he stays with us, he will only improve his reputation. That's not to say that I think we could stop bigger clubs from attracting him, but he will want a similar level of support he has here wherever he goes. I don't think they're interested, but a club like United for example will have a much better chance at signing him than Chelsea with the revamp behind the scenes. Chelsea is just a graveyard for managers at the moment.

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

Eghbali and the sporting directors were never convinced.

Yea, I did read an article recently that suggested this was one of the reasons but you would still have to ask what they are looking for long term if they don't stick by a Manager for more than a year to try and build something?? This is a young squad with great potential if it was moulded right and guided in the right direction with sensible investment over a few seasons, a few tweaks here and there and we could be all singing and dancing over the next few seasons.. 

1 minute ago, Danny said:

Chelsea is just a graveyard for managers at the moment.

Agreed, No matter how they sell it no manager coming in would be guaranteed to be there the following season unless they managed to secure silverware.. Going to Chelsea is not for the feint hearted.. 

9 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Agreed, No matter how they sell it no manager coming in would be guaranteed to be there the following season unless they managed to secure silverware.. Going to Chelsea is not for the feint hearted.. 

And when you used to do that, you at least backed the manager with world class players to do it. Seems like you're after more youngsters..

• Upvote 1

Just now, Danny said:

And when you used to do that, you at least backed the manager with world class players to do it. Seems like you're after more youngsters..

Already secured a couple I understand.. 

• Subscriber

Maresca the favourite.

He'd take it. He's not particularly happy with our hierarchy. Danny made the case for Frank staying at Brentford rather than taking Chelsea which I understood, but Maresca's not been happy with our lot for ages. I think he wants to stay here but wants certain assurances - you mix in both that and Chelsea interest I think he takes it.

I'd be intrigued to see how he handles better players and those with more of a fit to his style of play but that'd be an enormous gamble for Chelsea. I mean it was a gamble for us. I think he's done a good job here on the whole, but he's shown a few red flags in the last few months. We got over the line but losing 7 of our last 14 with our squad level comparatively is quite worrying.

• Administrator

Feel like it's too much of a gamble for Chelsea to go with Maresca. He has flaws, some of which were criminally exposed last season. Extremely stubborn in his tactics, and if Chelsea are looking for someone adaptable, then he's not the man. The one huge plus Chelsea have over us (and pretty much any team) is that he'll be given copious amounts of dough to spend however he likes. I don't know what the structure is at Chelsea and whether the manager even has a big enough say in it, but you can probably sensible assume he'll have a decent input into players they can buy. 

It's a bit of a wild gamble for Chelsea to make considering the calibre of managers they've had in the past, even if they do change them regularly. Even with his success with us last season, I'd have still not thought he makes such a big jump considering his inexperience as a manager. It's only been 1 year but I'll be fairly down if he does leave as I was looking forward to the project he had begun and being able to galvanise the team after a relegation. He managed to get players back in favour or get the best out of them after they slumped and had a hand in that relegation (Vestergaard, Ndidi for example. 

I don't think they'd improve on a 6th-place if he was hired and I wonder how he'll handle the pressure. It appeared to get to him in the slump we had, and that kind of slump gets exacerbated several times over in the Premier League. I'd have thought other managers would be available that are more fitting for the job? 

I still can't understand Chelsea sacking Pochettino, let alone who the new manager is that they'll opt for. 

I hope Maresca stays with us, but I wouldn't begrudge him a move to Chelsea so soon in his career. I just don't think it's the right time for club or person...

17 minutes ago, Stan said:

The one huge plus Chelsea have over us (and pretty much any team) is that he'll be given copious amounts of dough to spend however he likes. I don't know what the structure is at Chelsea and whether the manager even has a big enough say in it, but you can probably sensible assume he'll have a decent input into players they can buy. 

I am beginning to doubt that... I reckon that would be above his pay grade.. They will spend money no doubt but it will be on potential youth talent for the future and the incoming manager will just have to make do with what he has or has been chosen for him which is probably why there is some discontent and high turnover.. They don't want an upstart with ideas.. they want a mindless drone who just follows orders.. 

2 hours ago, Redcanuck said:

I have a feeling he may end up at United.  Talk about about out of the fat into the frying pan.

I think Poch is a better manager than Ten Hairs, but I also don't think he's the right guy to take a club finally turn the corner and demonstrate he can have a club be consistently competitive.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

I am beginning to doubt that... I reckon that would be above his pay grade.. They will spend money no doubt but it will be on potential youth talent for the future and the incoming manager will just have to make do with what he has or has been chosen for him which is probably why there is some discontent and high turnover.. They don't want an upstart with ideas.. they want a mindless drone who just follows orders.. 

He's inexperienced as a manager, but I don't think he's this either. He's been quite vocally unhappy with our hierarchy for a lot of the season - something I do agree with him on.

Far out it would shit me to be a Chelsea fan, and see that despite the ownership change the annual revolving door of the managers office stays the same.

Being honest, for many there has been something of a comedy value to Chelsea struggling as much as they did. First last season. And then early in this. But, they went deep in cup competitions. And did fight back to 6th. Ok, it is 2 places down on what many would have expected. Before the season started. But, there were signs things were starting to improve. Getting rid now is in line with the YouTube analyst approach to signing players. I don't think the owners have intentionally reduced the club on the pitch. It's been an effect of listening to amateur noise.