talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Vincent Kompany Confirmed as New Head Coach at Bayern Munich

@Viva la FCB Interested in your view on an opinion of mine.: Tending to see the calamities Bayern are currently in as some kind of higher justice, since the treatment they were giving all their managers after Heynckes last stint, after Guardiola's time actually, left something to be desired, in my honest opinion. Regardless whether they were called Tuchel, Nagelsmann, Kovac, or Ancelotti.

Flick being the exeption from this rule, here. Sagnol and Heynckes last stint are special cases since them were only meant to be caretakers, anyway.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
48 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

@Viva la FCB Interested in your view on an opinion of mine.: Tending to see the calamities Bayern are currently in as some kind of higher justice, since the treatment they were giving all their managers after Heynckes last stint, after Guardiola's time actually, left something to be desired, in my honest opinion. Regardless whether they were called Tuchel, Nagelsmann, Kovac, or Ancelotti.

Flick being the exeption from this rule, here. Sagnol and Heynckes last stint are special cases since them were only meant to be caretakers, anyway.

Yeah, I get it to some degree. Ill go down the list but basically I think we'e struggled mightily to actually back any manager since Guardiola for a myriad of reasons. 

Ancelotti and Kovac get their own category as I dont think either worked with the players or management and both relied way too heavily on individual talent rather then tactics for our team for whatever the reason. 

Flick is an interesting one as he seemingly caught lightning in the bottle. He was the perfect coach at the perfect time for the team. Specifically the high defensive line got us exposed far more in the second season and it didnt really seem sustainable. Part of that could have the squad, I know Boateng was aging out at that point for example so who knows maybe with a bit of change maybe we could have kept going but I think he saw the writing on the wall and jumped ship for the DFB job while he had the option. 

I flat out hated the Nagelsmann dismissal for a multitude of reasons. The timing was shite for one, we were in the middle of things competing for all 3 trophies. When he was hired I recall the overall sentiment was all about stability and enough of the merry go round of managers and this was the answer. They also seemingly proved intent with the amount of money they paid to RB for his services. Then to basically hit the panic button when everything is in sight and we had an excellent start to the CL campaign as well. It just felt worse as the first season had some hiccups which where fully to be expected but the second season seemed like there was growth there. He was figuring things out and it was finally coming to some fruition only to have a knee jerk firing at the first sign of any adversity. 

Tuchel 's time was a bit turbulent and I would write off the back part of the season and the situation he took over to start with. I more look to the start of this season and allot of the issues with the squad weren't addressed. He was very outspoken in the beginning of the season and we tried plugging a bunch of holes that made no sense. Tuchel was proven beyond right with how decimated the already thin squad was by the end of the season, it was laughable. The first half of the season seemed good but to start the Rückrunde we were kind of in a tail spin of form. Some of it Id blame on personal and situations with Afcon and whatnot but at the same time some of those losses where flat out embarrassing. The losses to Heidenheim and Bochum in particular come to mind is just not good enough, there is no world where we should be played off the pitch by those clubs and it wasnt just a blip it was a trend to some degree. 

Maybe Ive been spoiled by Jupp football and Pep football but there just hasn't be any stability as well ever since. 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Viva la FCB said:

Yeah, I get it to some degree. Ill go down the list but basically I think we'e struggled mightily to actually back any manager since Guardiola for a myriad of reasons. 

Ancelotti and Kovac get their own category as I dont think either worked with the players or management and both relied way too heavily on individual talent rather then tactics for our team for whatever the reason. 

Flick is an interesting one as he seemingly caught lightning in the bottle. He was the perfect coach at the perfect time for the team. Specifically the high defensive line got us exposed far more in the second season and it didnt really seem sustainable. Part of that could have the squad, I know Boateng was aging out at that point for example so who knows maybe with a bit of change maybe we could have kept going but I think he saw the writing on the wall and jumped ship for the DFB job while he had the option. 

I flat out hated the Nagelsmann dismissal for a multitude of reasons. The timing was shite for one, we were in the middle of things competing for all 3 trophies. When he was hired I recall the overall sentiment was all about stability and enough of the merry go round of managers and this was the answer. They also seemingly proved intent with the amount of money they paid to RB for his services. Then to basically hit the panic button when everything is in sight and we had an excellent start to the CL campaign as well. It just felt worse as the first season had some hiccups which where fully to be expected but the second season seemed like there was growth there. He was figuring things out and it was finally coming to some fruition only to have a knee jerk firing at the first sign of any adversity. 

Tuchel 's time was a bit turbulent and I would write off the back part of the season and the situation he took over to start with. I more look to the start of this season and allot of the issues with the squad weren't addressed. He was very outspoken in the beginning of the season and we tried plugging a bunch of holes that made no sense. Tuchel was proven beyond right with how decimated the already thin squad was by the end of the season, it was laughable. The first half of the season seemed good but to start the Rückrunde we were kind of in a tail spin of form. Some of it Id blame on personal and situations with Afcon and whatnot but at the same time some of those losses where flat out embarrassing. The losses to Heidenheim and Bochum in particular come to mind is just not good enough, there is no world where we should be played off the pitch by those clubs and it wasnt just a blip it was a trend to some degree. 

Maybe Ive been spoiled by Jupp football and Pep football but there just hasn't be any stability as well ever since. 

Reading your reponse I'm even wondering whether the utter dominance Bayern had first and foremost in the 2nd year of Heynckes 3rd stint and under Guardiola wasn't even detrimental in hindsight, since humans have  short memories for inconviniences and the club's officials and fans forgot how hard to fight Bayern usually had for the most of their titles before that period and irrationally assumed this sleepwalking to the title they enjoyed for, the factually short time, of 4 years would go on forever. It's disappointing for everyone if their wet dreams are proven to be exactly that, after all.

Edited by Rucksackfranzose
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Reading your reponse I'm even wondering whether the utter dominance Bayern had first and foremost in the 2nd year of Heynckes 3rd stint and under Guardiola wasn't even detrimental in hindsight, since humans hace  short memories for inconviniences and the club's officials and fans forgot how hard to fight Bayern usually for the most of their titles before that period and irrationally assumed this sleepwalking to the title they enjoyed for, the factually short time, of 4 years would go on forever. It's disappointing for everyone if their wet dreams are proven to be exactly that, after all.

You could definitely be on to something. I said at the time and its probably even more stark in hindsight looking back but Guradiola's three years we where the most dominant Ive seen this team play in the Bundesliga. The rotation was seemless week to week no matter who was in or out this team was drilled like something else. There where very few if any lapses in the league and I think at that point allot of people did start to take that for granted. The CL is another story but knockout competition is a different animal. The best measure of that era and how good Guradiola was was the league record. It wasn't even the wins and losses, which dont get me wrong is impressive in its own it was the amount of goals, the amount of clean sheets, the level of performance and consistency was unreal. A quick google says 82-11-9 over the three years, 58 goals concded, 59 clean sheets. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Bayern are running out of options. Honestly, they must be reached the bottom of their priority list, given Kompanyy is a name that popped up after they let everyone interested know they were negotiating with Tuchel about him staying, although it's been themselves who decided to end his reign a year earlier than the original contract was running.

It does remind me of when Tottenham appointed Nuno a few years ago, it became a bit of a cycle and with each rejection just made it a bit more embarrassing, so they likely view this as less embarrassing than another turn down.

But honestly, how can he can serve up a season like that and land the Bayern job. It just feels alien to me. He wasn't just bad - I'd go as far as saying in the top 10 worst seasons I've seen a manager have. They got 101 points in the Championship, so in fairness, he deserves credit for that. But when you take the league apart in such a way I really think you ought to be capable of making a mark in the next league up. I think how many points would say a team 15th in the Premier League be expected to get in the Championship? 101 isn't unreasonable.

To do this, spend over a hundred million and get 24 points, win only 5 games all season and of those, only 2 of them were against teams they didn't come up with - even one of those needed an opposition red card after 9 minutes! They weren't just bad, they were disastrous. 

It might be a case of him only suiting a squad with better players than the opposition, but if that's the bar for a manager then it's pretty low and it isn't going to serve them well in Europe.

I think with Alonso committing to another year at Leverkusen they've got to be worth a bet to retain the league.

6 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

FC Hollywood never ceases. Everything being leaked constantly from all the candidates and rejections to this entire process now it seems. 

If this leak is true, were in for an entertaining season provided Bayern will have some disappointing results in the coming season. So good news from a neutral point of view.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

If this leak is true, were in for an entertaining season provided Bayern will have some disappointing results in the coming season. So good news from a neutral point of view.

Plettenberg has seemingly been spot on for the better part of 2 years now is what it seems like. Its low hanging fruit to go after for a story so if it was nearly anyone else Id probably brush it off. There also 100% has to be a leak here at some point with all the news coming out here that seemingly gets proven true over and over. Sad times for us fans but yeah you can enjoy it from the outside I guess, fair game xD

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952visx96p60ywc0vws5qd

I don't get this appointment if it happens. I really don't.

@Dan pretty much covered it for me. Did great in the Championship, but for all the praise he got, they were very poor in the prem this, second only to Sheffield United.

If he signed Bobby Glatzel however, that all changes. :ph34r:

I think Bayern's logic is that Kompany's ideas fit really well with a side that has one of the league's best squads, rather than a tram battling for survival, and he'll get that at Bayern.

Saying that though, his inability to adapt to the situation and make the best of what he had should count against him. Playing like you have a top side when you don't is the naive mindset that guaranteed Burnley's failure.

• Administrator

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cl7725g1xjdo

Bayern Munich have appointed Vincent Kompany as their new head coach on a three-year deal.

The Belgian, 38, succeeds Thomas Tuchel and leaves Burnley for the Bundesliga side after the two clubs agreed a compensation fee.

Kompany won the Championship with Burnley in 2022-23, but the Clarets suffered relegation from the Premier League this season after finishing 19th.

"It's a great honour to be able to work for this club - FC Bayern is an institution in international football," said the former Manchester City defender.

Kompany, who retired from playing in 2020, joined Burnley from Anderlecht in 2022 and signed a five-year contract extension last year.

However, he refused to answer questions about his future after the Clarets' home defeat by Nottingham Forest on the final day of the season.

Burnley said they were initially confident of keeping Kompany at Turf Moor but "the changing dynamics of the situation" made it impossible.

"We understand the allure and prestige of a club like Bayern Munich and respect Vincent’s ambition to explore new opportunities," the club said.

• Subscriber

I am very curious how Bayern setup now. I can't see them winning a CL and tbh if Alonso has his way I can't see them winning another league title as well. Time will tell. 

On 23/05/2024 at 03:15, Spike said:

Or they think he is very smart due to the size of his head.

No matter how this appointment goes, this is what I assume is the actual truth behind Bayern appointing him.

• Administrator
46 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Rooney to Plymouth, Maresca to yourselves and Kompany to Bayern.

Very very random.

It's like playing FM for 20 years and seeing who's knocking around at a club you never thought they'd be associated with xD

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
On 29/05/2024 at 10:46, Mel81x said:

I am very curious how Bayern setup now. I can't see them winning a CL and tbh if Alonso has his way I can't see them winning another league title as well. Time will tell. 

Whats been said is there is alignment finally between Manager and the rest of the cast on how to move forward. I imagine this means squad upheavel is coming. I tend to agree with you but we'll see how the surgery goes. 

• Subscriber
38 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Whats been said is there is alignment finally between Manager and the rest of the cast on how to move forward. I imagine this means squad upheavel is coming. I tend to agree with you but we'll see how the surgery goes. 

He has Pep on speed-dial so maybe not so much of a train-wreck. 

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Mel81x said:

He has Pep on speed-dial so maybe not so much of a train-wreck. 

I saw Pep apparently had talked to someone in Munich too I forget who...was KHR or Uli probably.... about Kompany... clearly still value his opinion then. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

So Bayern's sport director Max Eberl said literally: " Kompany wasn't the first name on our list." Him just approving what everyone already knew aside, that's a double edgeg statement. Of course it's honest and spares Bayern a lot of mockery they had got, if they called Kompany the manager they were looking for right from the beginning. Flip side of the coin he implicitly gives players an excuse and fans an aim for their frustration should things go tits down before the season even began. Wouldn't want to be in Kompany's shoes at this point of time, to be fair.