talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Taylor Swift

football forums

Every time I see her mentioned, she's portrayed as a bigger and bigger deal. I understand the music isn't aimed towards males over the age of 10 but usually there would at least be a song or two that's either annoyingly catchy or decent enough that anyone could end up liking from one of these popstars. Britney Spears had hits that even if you didn't want to admit it you had to say was decent. Taylor Swift has none from what I can tell.

Anyone here a fan or at least know a song that's listenable?

1 hour ago, 6666 said:

Every time I see her mentioned, she's portrayed as a bigger and bigger deal. I understand the music isn't aimed towards males over the age of 10 but usually there would at least be a song or two that's either annoyingly catchy or decent enough that anyone could end up liking from one of these popstars. Britney Spears had hits that even if you didn't want to admit it you had to say was decent. Taylor Swift has none from what I can tell.

No big deal. Just the feminists chomping on her dick like their lives depend on it.

On 24/06/2024 at 12:53, 6666 said:

Every song of hers I've heard is the most generic pop song I've ever heard in my life.

She is fine, inoffensive pop music. I do find it very derivative and insincere; but I didn't mind 'Cruel Summer' for a bit there but outside of the vocal melody I couldn't really describe the song as anything but a wall of fuzzed out synths with a loud snare beat.

As far as female vocals pop music she doesn't interest me as much as artists from the past like Madonna, or even contemporaries like Lady Gaga and Rihanna. Though I suppose that's a high bar.

She made a good couple of albums during peak covid I thought, but generally I find her music a chore to get through, specially since she basically became Jack Antonoff's singer. She has a pretty generic and basic taste in pop music and the guy struggles when working with someone less creative than him so they bring out the worst in each other.

Besides that, I think what's annoying about her is that she seems to have a stranglehold over the music industry at the moment. She is this decade's Drake and she's more unavoidable now than he has ever been which is impressive.

• Subscriber

She gets her demographic quite clearly and knows how to milk them. That's a businessperson with music skill vs a musician with little to no business skill. It's not innovative and it's not meant to be. 

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Mel81x said:

She gets her demographic quite clearly and knows how to milk them. That's a businessperson with music skill vs a musician with little to no business skill. It's not innovative and it's not meant to be. 

@mufc

• Administrator
On 26/06/2024 at 00:04, Spike said:

She is fine, inoffensive pop music. I do find it very derivative and insincere; but I didn't mind 'Cruel Summer' for a bit there but outside of the vocal melody I couldn't really describe the song as anything but a wall of fuzzed out synths with a loud snare beat.

As far as female vocals pop music she doesn't interest me as much as artists from the past like Madonna, or even contemporaries like Lady Gaga and Rihanna. Though I suppose that's a high bar.

On 26/06/2024 at 12:27, Mel81x said:

Pretty much this. Tap into the right market and she's been laughing all the way, mostly to the bank no doubt.

The hijacking of the NFL games and attention away from the game was mildly annoying but to be honest, pretty harmless. It is what it is.

In terms of songs I wouldn't say I listen to her or go searching for her music, but I did like Anti-Hero when it came out. 

• Subscriber

A very prolific singer/songwriter and savvy businesswoman who writes catchy, inoffensive pop music with lyrics geared to her target audience of mostly white teen girls and young women, and who actively cultivates a parasocial relationship with her fans. Her music is not for me, but she does what she does exceptionally well. I think I haven't seen a fanbase so huge, so dedicated, so obsessed, and so mad about a singer since early Madonna times. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Stan said:

Pretty much this. Tap into the right market and she's been laughing all the way, mostly to the bank no doubt.

The hijacking of the NFL games and attention away from the game was mildly annoying but to be honest, pretty harmless. It is what it is.

In terms of songs I wouldn't say I listen to her or go searching for her music, but I did like Anti-Hero when it came out. 

She didn’t hijack anything with the NFL. That was the NFL and the networks parasitising her popularity. That’s what the NFL does, the sport is always secondary, look at the Super Bowl. 

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Spike said:

She didn’t hijack anything with the NFL. That was the NFL and the networks parasitising her popularity. That’s what the NFL does, the sport is always secondary, look at the Super Bowl. 

Come on, she clearly had a hand in it. NFL networks did too, knowing viewing figures boosted and all that. But Swift clearly bought into it aswell.

21 minutes ago, Stan said:

Come on, she clearly had a hand in it. NFL networks did too, knowing viewing figures boosted and all that. But Swift clearly bought into it aswell.

I'm not sure she's had a hand in it, tbh. She's just turned up to watch her boyfriend play in most games of last season and the NFL milked it as much as they could because they wanted to tap into her massive fanbase. They milk it every time a stadium's got a famous person in it, but nothing like they did when they've got the most popular popstar turning up each week.

Did she keep turning up because the NFL kept giving her free publicity? Yeah, probably. She's in the business of being in the public eye as much as possible.

Her music does absolutely nothing for me and I think the way her fans have a sort of mental cult-like following is kind of creepy... but I don't think she really did anything wrong with turning up to Kelce's games. The NFL were the ones keen to shove her down viewers throats and that's probably because her just being on TV screens briefly meant the Swiftie demographic that typically doesn't watch NFL games were suddenly all tuning in.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

You mean sneaking into the stadiums in disguise and hiding up in the press box with blurry zoomed in shots? The NFL wants her appeal more than vice versa, and in fact I’d say this only brought her negativity, case in point your accusations. 

• Administrator
51 minutes ago, Spike said:

You mean sneaking into the stadiums in disguise and hiding up in the press box with blurry zoomed in shots? The NFL wants her appeal more than vice versa, and in fact I’d say this only brought her negativity, case in point your accusations. 

Negative attention is still attention and clicks and hits... 

Anyway, I don't deep it that much. I agreed with the original points anyway. 

8 minutes ago, Stan said:

Negative attention is still attention and clicks and hits... 

Anyway, I don't deep it that much. I agreed with the original points anyway. 

I don't think in any capacity Taylor Swift of all people and her publicists are desperate enough to feel the need to generate negative publicity. If that were the case why would the death of that fan at her concert in Brazil be essentially buried and forgotten? Not even a dedication from the woman herself.

5 hours ago, nudge said:

A very prolific singer/songwriter and savvy businesswoman who writes catchy, inoffensive pop music with lyrics geared to her target audience of mostly white teen girls and young women, and who actively cultivates a parasocial relationship with her fans. Her music is not for me, but she does what she does exceptionally well. I think I haven't seen a fanbase so huge, so dedicated, so obsessed, and so mad about a singer since early Madonna times. 

You need to look into this singer.

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan.

• Subscriber
11 hours ago, MUFC said:

You need to look into this singer.

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan.

Some of the best Sufi you will ever hear. He has a following for a reason but its nothing like Swift's 

13 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Some of the best Sufi you will ever hear. He has a following for a reason but its nothing like Swift's 

I think the language barrier restricts him. To be fair to him though, he has done concerts in countries where the audience don't understand Urdu/Hindi. He obviously doesn't have her following.

On 29/06/2024 at 15:26, Whiskey said:

If you don't like it, don't listen to it - quite simple really.

Goes with all music really. All entertainment even.

No point in getting pissed off about a popstar's music, or a TV show you don't like, etc., nobody is forcing anyone to listen/watch. Unless you're at the shops or something and it's playing over a speaker, in which case... if it gets you that upset, go seek therapy lol. I don't really like pop music for the most part, I don't seek it out, if I've heard any of her songs... I legitimately don't know if it was her or not lol. But I'm not gonna be upset she's popular and making music I like because that's stupid and it would be boring if we all had to like all the same things.

Life's short, pop culture's so insignificant in the grand scheme of things. I don't know why so people have to get so weird about it when they can just keep living their lives and listening to whatever they want and avoid the shit they don't want.

52 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Goes with all music really. All entertainment even.

No point in getting pissed off about a popstar's music, or a TV show you don't like, etc., nobody is forcing anyone to listen/watch. Unless you're at the shops or something and it's playing over a speaker, in which case... if it gets you that upset, go seek therapy lol. I don't really like pop music for the most part, I don't seek it out, if I've heard any of her songs... I legitimately don't know if it was her or not lol. But I'm not gonna be upset she's popular and making music I like because that's stupid and it would be boring if we all had to like all the same things.

Life's short, pop culture's so insignificant in the grand scheme of things. I don't know why so people have to get so weird about it when they can just keep living their lives and listening to whatever they want and avoid the shit they don't want.

Depends. Some music is inescapable.