talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Georgia 2-0 Portugal - Wednesday 26th June, 2024

• The title was changed to Georgia 1-0 Portugal - Wednesday 26th June, 2024

I would feel abit sorry for Hungary if Georgia win tonight. The opposition had something to play for in every game they played. Where as Portugal are already through as group winners. At the same time, come on Georgia 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Gunnersaurus said:

I would feel abit sorry for Hungary if Georgia win tonight. The opposition had something to play for in every game they played. Where as Portugal are already through as group winners. At the same time, come on Georgia 

How would you change that? 

The whole set up of the qualification from these groups needs reviewing. Last Euros it felt harder to go out than qualify for the next round and its the same again this time round.

Teams have qualified from winning the first match, it's a bloody shambles. 

5 minutes ago, Devil said:

The whole set up of the qualification from these groups needs reviewing. Last Euros it felt harder to go out than qualify for the next round and its the same again this time round.

Too many teams qualify for the tournament,  too many teams get out of the group stage. The group stages see teams play too cagey,  too cautious , just don't lose and make sure you advance to the knock out round.

• The title was changed to Georgia 2-0 Portugal - Wednesday 26th June, 2024
  • Subscriber

Portugal have had zero midfield control in this game and it's no surprise really considering the fact that their star playmaker is on the bench with their best attack-minded midfielder too. Still, they've been silly in defense and its cost them. 

32 minutes ago, Stan said:

How would you change that? 

Do you mean would I change the format? I don't know I mean to finish 3rd in a group of 3 and get through is pretty generous isn't it I suppose.

Like I said I do have sympathy for Hungary but I'd love to see Georgia go through 

20 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

Too many teams qualify for the tournament,  too many teams get out of the group stage. The group stages see teams play too cagey,  too cautious , just don't lose and make sure you advance to the knock out round.

I'm not sure if that's true. Certainly it was the first time they expanded but this tournament has had some great games. Apart from England's group 

3 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

I'm not sure if that's true. Certainly it was the first time they expanded but this tournament has had some great games. Apart from England's group 

I would agree with some of the new teams and some of the teams we didn't expect much off have played some good football.  But I don't think many of the pre tournament favourites have got out of first gear yet. 

35 minutes ago, Devil said:

24 teams is a weird number of teams which is why they have an extremely convoluted system in place to make it make sense for the knockout stage. If they cared about the integrity of the competition, they wouldn't have done it this way.

If the quality for 32 teams isn't there, then they should go back to 16. 24 teams just makes the group stages too weird.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, 6666 said:

If the quality for 32 teams isn't there, then they should go back to 16. 24 teams just makes the group stages too weird.

More matches means more money... 

3 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

I would agree with some of the new teams and some of the teams we didn't expect much off have played some good football.  But I don't think many of the pre tournament favourites have got out of first gear yet. 

No I'd probably agree with you on that. But I do think it's been entertaining