talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

EFL Transfers & Rumours

football forum

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ashley Fletcher joining Middlesbrough.  That's going to be one of those deals that's going to either work really well like all of Huddersfield's loans did last season or we will realise his level is just Championship football. Personally I think he will be a good option for them up front.

Kalas has rejoined Fulham on loan too. Astute deal for them. Surprised a bottom half Premiership club wasn't interested.

Boro look good for bouncing straight back, put a lot of trust in Garry Monk letting him spend the amount of money he has but if the end result is promotion again then the money outlay means nothing.

Going to be so competitive next season this league.

6 hours ago, Toony said:

Going to be so competitive next season this league.

Or is it? I guess we will see with Middlesbrough spending £45m to date on strengthening their squad. No doubt they will also spend more. 

If they walk it, that's one less promotion place.

23 hours ago, Lucas said:

Or is it? I guess we will see with Middlesbrough spending £45m to date on strengthening their squad. No doubt they will also spend more. 

Whilst I'll be surprised if they finish outside the top four at present I cant imagine them walking it. Reading, Fulham and Wednesday still look good and there was a collective of teams just outside the playoffs getting there shit together by the end of it.

16 hours ago, Lucas said:

I doubt they'll walk it though I do think they should be favourites for promotion at present. It's such a tough league, impossible to call who'll go up.

We're being linked with a move for Boro keeper, Connor Ripley, to replace Steele and add competition for Raya. He has had some impressive loan spells in the football league recently. He is also the son of ex-Rovers winger Stuart Ripley and he was in our academy previously. I would prefer someone with a bit more experience as Raya is still young, but Ripley does should a talent.

We've signed Shrewsbury's goalkeeper Jayson Leutwiler for an undisclosed fee. Shrewsbury fans seem gutted to have lost him so fingers crossed he is successful with us and provides much needed competition for David Raya. I hadn't heard of him until today but he was part of the Canada squad for this year's Gold Cup and he kept 23 clean sheets out of 46 games a couple of seasons ago as Shrewsbury got promoted to League One.

Now we need a couple more strikers to balance the squad.

• Subscriber

Should be a quality addition for Forest because I don't think he's that far from breaking into our first team. He needs to go and do the business for them though as too often, these loan players waste a season putting in average performances and come back in no better position than they were in the first place. 

• Subscriber

Weird seeing better prospects being loaned out.

We take a different approach. Anyone that Poch thinks could make it at Spurs stays with us in and around the squad. He thinks the best place to learn is under his guidance 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Storts said:

Weird seeing better prospects being loaned out.

We take a different approach. Anyone that Poch thinks could make it at Spurs stays with us in and around the squad. He thinks the best place to learn is under his guidance 

Yeah I can't remember many examples of players going out on loan from Premier League sides and coming back having improved enough to break into the first team. Certainly a very low percentage. 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Yeah I can't remember many examples of players going out on loan from Premier League sides and coming back having improved enough to break into the first team. Certainly a very low percentage. 

Yeah, seems to have been the old school approach, and therefore taken as some sort of gospel on developing players but not actually sure in this modern day league it's the right approach. Obviously there are many examples in the past, Defoe, Lampard, Ferdinand etc. but not sure going down to the lower leagues is always beneficial. Kane, Townsend etc. under previous management used to move from loan club to loan club, hard to say what impact that had on their career.

8 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Coleman is the last one for us, I'd say. That Blackpool loan done wonders for him. 

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Storts said:

Yeah, seems to have been the old school approach, and therefore taken as some sort of gospel on developing players but not actually sure in this modern day league it's the right approach. Obviously there are many examples in the past, Defoe, Lampard, Ferdinand etc. but not sure going down to the lower leagues is always beneficial. Kane, Townsend etc. under previous management used to move from loan club to loan club, hard to say what impact that had on their career.

Well in terms of our best prospects, Wayne Rooney, Jack Rodwell, Tom Davies, Dan Gosling, Victor Anichebe and Tony Hibbert all broke into the Everton first team without ever going out on loan. Leon Osman is the best example I can think of, going on loan to Carlisle and Derby County before coming back and featuring as a key player for many years. Barkley had a couple of loans at Sheffield Wednesday and Leeds (hardly played for the latter) which I don't think benefited him at all.

There's loads of examples of players that never made it going out on loan and not seeming to make much improvement - Conor McAleny and Matthew Pennington most recently. It's hard to say though whether it would have been any different if they'd stayed at the club instead of going out on loan.

My gut feeling is that loans only help the player improve significantly in very specific circumstances.

A lot of it depends on the manager and the club. At teams like Tottenham and Southampton that play a certain way and there's an opportunity to play and develop you're best off learning at the club but at teams like Watford with a high turnover of players and managers you may be better off going out on loan.

7 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Should be a quality addition for Forest because I don't think he's that far from breaking into our first team. He needs to go and do the business for them though as too often, these loan players waste a season putting in average performances and come back in no better position than they were in the first place. 

That's a good deal for them, thought he looked quality in the U20 World Cup, they've actually signed well this summer have Forest, fancy them for a decent season under Warburton.

Daryl Murphy is guaranteed goals at this level.

1 minute ago, Toony said:

That's a good deal for them, thought he looked quality in the U20 World Cup, they've actually signed well this summer have Forest, fancy them for a decent season under Warburton.

Daryl Murphy is guaranteed goals at this level.

I'm undecided based on what I've read about this new owner.

1 minute ago, Aaroncpfc said:

I'm undecided based on what I've read about this new owner.

Yeah he seems like a bit of a loose cannon, I do rate Warburton though and think he was harshly treated at Rangers.

• The title was changed to EFL Transfers & Rumours
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived