talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Marc-André ter Stegen disappointed at not winning first team status for Germany

Barcelona keeper and German international Marc-André ter Stegen has spoken about his disappointment at not having been able to demonstrate enough to swing Joachim Löw's mind when making his decisions for who will be Germany's starting goalkeeper for their World Cup in Russia.

Ter Stegen accepts the decision but he had this to say in a post match interview after the international game against Austria.

"One accepts the manager's decision and I will help not only the team, but also Manuel Neuer in anything required from me during the competition.  But I can't deny that it is a disappointment not to have been able to have earned my first team place after having had a very good season with my club and the fact I wasn't challenging anyone else for the spot.  I'm happy to have helped my country towards qualifying for the tournament and now my task is to support from the sidelines."

From the time he's been at Barcelona (which funnily enough is already considerable) I've learned to understand anything Ter Stegen says (a very intelligent individual) in interviews.  I go all the way back to when he was challenging Claudio Bravo at Barça for his right to be the first team keeper.  He won that battle and I KNOW he'll win this one too, not now, but he'll be Germany's number 1 in the not too distant future.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Manuel Neuer, fully fit and ready to go is one of the best goalkeepers in the world for me, if not the best. However, he's been injured all season and guess who has probably been the best goalkeeper this season in his absence? Marc Andre ter Stegen! Fucking bizarre how Low has picked Neuer and it stinks of Spain 2014 when del Bosque's old guard absolute flopped in the grandest fashion.

My upvote isn't going through, so I'll agree just by quoting you and saying I agree.

I agree.

18 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Manuel Neuer, fully fit and ready to go is one of the best goalkeepers in the world for me, if not the best. However, he's been injured all season and guess who has probably been the best goalkeeper this season in his absence? Marc Andre ter Stegen! Fucking bizarre how Low has picked Neuer and it stinks of Spain 2014 when del Bosque's old guard absolute flopped in the grandest fashion.

agree it is utterly bizarre that an injured player would take precedence over an elite starter.

1 minute ago, DeadLinesman said:

How are the resident Germans feeling about this? @Tommy @nudge et al?!?!?

For me, ter Stegen would be the starting goalkeeper. He had an amazing season with Barcelona, and he has the match practice. Neuer played 1 1/2 friendlies now (one against some U20 team, and the other against Austria). But in the end, if Neuer ends up saving our ass a couple of times, people will say Löw was right. If he makes a few mistakes that will ultimately knock us out of the tournament, Löw will have to go. 

• Subscriber

I mean the good news is its an absolute embarrasment of riches for Löw to turn down in goal and even more so in midfield. Not taking Sané is hard to justify and probably a bigger concern but the chances of it biting his stubborn arse are still seemingly slim. 

27 minutes ago, Tommy said:

For me, ter Stegen would be the starting goalkeeper. He had an amazing season with Barcelona, and he has the match practice. Neuer played 1 1/2 friendlies now (one against some U20 team, and the other against Austria). But in the end, if Neuer ends up saving our ass a couple of times, people will say Löw was right. If he makes a few mistakes that will ultimately knock us out of the tournament, Löw will have to go. 

Do you guys think Löw is a good manager? Or someone that just kind of bumbled his way through a golden generation of talent?

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

Do you guys think Löw is a good manager? Or someone that just kind of bumbled his way through a golden generation of talent?

Personally I think it's the latter. He's not bad, but he's also not great. He has never been known to be a tactical genius. It was only a matter of time until he finally wins a title with the amount of talent available to him. 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Personally I think it's the latter. He's not bad, but he's also not great. He has never been known to be a tactical genius. It was only a matter of time until he finally wins a title with the amount of talent available to him. 

Pretty much this, I still sometimes wonder how things might have turned out if Mustafi didnt get injured......

2 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I think Germans should be peeved at the failures of the last two Euros.Would you place those failures on Low?Though I do suppose a WC make a person forget about the fucking Euros pretty quick.

You guys know much more about Germany than me, but the impression I had from last Euro is that the attack had no teeth. Good defence, very good midfield but they lacked a forward who would do something different, an unexpected dribble, a shot. Is it correct? If so, has this changed for 2018?

3 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

You guys know much more about Germany than me, but the impression I had from last Euro is that the attack had no teeth. Good defence, very good midfield but they lacked a forward who would do something different, an unexpected dribble, a shot. Is it correct? If so, has this changed for 2018?

No one knows Germany better than Brazilians :4_joy:

On 06/06/2018 at 13:25, SirBalon said:

To be honest, @Devon Von Devon has been coming out with a number of these one liners for about two or three months.  I'm very suspicious at what's going down with him! xD

I'm generaly like this xD. I don't talk much even in the company of my family or close friends but when i do its worth it. For that reason i am viewed someone as innocent from the the outside but :censored: from the inside by everyone :ph34r: 

Archived